Living with cancer (and madwullie memorial thread)

59 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

4 montly check up last week. Cancer still sleeping. Will be 3 years on 1st May since my stem cell transplant. Next check up in another 4 months! 

All the very best to you, HSF. It's actually quite uplifting to come on here and see someone posting a bit of genuinely good news.

It breaks the mind-numbing, anger-inducing tedium of corrupt politicians, war and economic gloom.

Lang may yer lum reek.

14 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

There's been a few P&Bers thinking you needed therapy right enough...

(But that's a grand step forward, a' the best mannie)

F*** you

Thank you. I've little to complain about compared with a lot of posters on this thread.

2 hours ago, Glen Sannox said:

Good luck with everything. I’m sure they will have warned you about the fatigue post radiotherapy. I had 25 treatments in November, pre surgery and still felt the effects months later. That said, a bit of fatigue seems well worth it as it looks like I’m winning this one.

I hope you and everyone else on here wins their battle.

I'm generally tired anyway, as I have COPD, but that said I regularly dozed off on the journey home, and many's a night I'm in bed before 9.00 pm.

Just have to wait and see what the oncologist has to say.

Also waiting for the results of my chest scan last week.

Next on the agenda is a visit to the (local) hospital for a glaucoma examination. It's all go when you're old and decrepit! :lol:

Glad to hear you're doing well, and I also wish everyone else all the best.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig

5 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Away to start a course of a drug called Panopazib. It's designed to hopefully slow things down with my chondrosarcoma. I've been given a few months to live but I absolutely refuse to give up.  I know this is the last throw of the dice for me but I've taken a lot of positives from some of the stories on here and some of the messages that I've received from total strangers. Thanks folks. To everybody suffering from this horrible disease, keep fighting the fight. Positivity cannot be underestimated. Peace.

You show such immense positivity and I really hope this drug works well for you. Your attitude is inspirational, keep fighting the good fight brother.

23 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Away to start a course of a drug called Panopazib. It's designed to hopefully slow things down with my chondrosarcoma. I've been given a few months to live but I absolutely refuse to give up.  I know this is the last throw of the dice for me but I've taken a lot of positives from some of the stories on here and some of the messages that I've received from total strangers. Thanks folks. To everybody suffering from this horrible disease, keep fighting the fight. Positivity cannot be underestimated. Peace.

Anyone listening to fine music, watching lower league football when you can and still experimenting with drugs is doing the right thing. Stay strong and live long. 

9 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Heartrending stuff. All the best.

My wife was out doing a bit of weeding in the front garden, our neighbour came over to tell her he's to go to Belfast tomorrow for another biopsy on his throat, so that must be back.

He's had a time of it this last 4 years or so, his mother died, a brother died, his wife died and his son died. He was diagnosed with throat cancer which seemed to be responding to treatment, then prostate cancer (he finished his treatment the week before me) and now it looks like the throat stuff is back.

As I said, I've little to complain about compared with most.

On 19/04/2022 at 21:46, Jimi Shandrix said:

We're all with you Jimi, as I hope you know. That's an inspiring comment for many, I'm sure.

I hope you have a family behind you to provide close support - they can add so much to the positivity vibe, but if not I trust that there are good friends & neighbours (or even the many decent people you'll find here). For those on the outside of serious health issues read what Jimi says about the benefits of a quiet supportive word. Not just for the person undergoing the problem but their families and close friends too. Particularly for close family the stress, worry, fear and anxiety is always there for them too and is often hidden or overlooked. Remember they need reassuring cuddles and messages too. Even when you don't know what to say (I'm chronically inept at finding the right words).

3 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Cheers mate. I have quite a small but incredibly dedicated support group around me. I am grateful for the love and care they show me every day. I literally could not function without my partner who has been my rock through all of this and she in turn has received great support from the Macmillan trust. For anybody reading this who knows somebody living with cancer, or any other serious health condition for that matter, a kind word or 10 minutes of your time can make that persons day. I completely understand that it can be difficult to know what to say to somebody in that situation, but just a blether about the fitba or music or anything can make a big difference to someone who feels a bit lost or scared. Thanks again to everyone on here who  have shown a stranger at the other end of some cables and wires such kindness. Just received the call from Ninewells that today is the day that the new treatment is starting. Heading up there this afternoon. Feeling good about it. See you all soon.

Good luck with the new treatment Jimi. 

On 21/04/2022 at 16:44, scottsdad said:

My old man is getting light therapy for a superficial form of skin cancer. One treatment, takes an hour, and all done. 

Wish they could all be treated like this. 

Turns out it was not so simple. 

He says it was the worst, most traumatic experience of his life. They put a cream on the cancer (which is on his face). Waited, then did the light therapy. It was, he says, like getting a red hot poker held to his skin. He was in absolute agony during it and afterwards. 

And...they didn't get it all. They want him back in 6 weeks to do it again, but he isn't going to go. He has a very serious heart condition, and a lung condition, and frankly the stress of this is too much. The heart is the main concern now and subjecting himself to this again is just a no-go. He cannot take that kind of stress these days. 

On 04/05/2022 at 11:25, scottsdad said:

Turns out it was not so simple. 

He says it was the worst, most traumatic experience of his life. They put a cream on the cancer (which is on his face). Waited, then did the light therapy. It was, he says, like getting a red hot poker held to his skin. He was in absolute agony during it and afterwards. 

And...they didn't get it all. They want him back in 6 weeks to do it again, but he isn't going to go. He has a very serious heart condition, and a lung condition, and frankly the stress of this is too much. The heart is the main concern now and subjecting himself to this again is just a no-go. He cannot take that kind of stress these days. 

That's not so good.

Stress is not good for lung conditions (I know that from personal experience) and I imagine it wouldn't be great for those with a heart condition either. Somebody with both...