Living with cancer (and madwullie memorial thread)

3 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

Dad passed away this morning. 58.

I was back up in Scotland in time, and he was comfortable and at home, but it doesn’t make it feel any less shit.

Brain tumours are fucking horrendous. Get them in the sea.

Condolences on your loss. I lost my mother in Feb 20 to cancer after a short illness. I can understand how you will feel but you will be glad in time that you managed home for dad and have your memories of your dad, albeit he was still in the prime of his life.

It is so unfair and I can only wish you the best in the coming weeks and months. Keep your family and friends close at this time mate.

13 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

I was back up in Scotland in time, and he was comfortable and at home, but it doesn’t make it feel any less shit.

Sorry for your loss, Ad Lib.

22 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

Sorry for your loss. Glad you got back up to spend a little time with him.

Keep safe.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

22 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

I’m really sorry to hear of your loss Ad Lib. 

2 hours ago, The Equalizer said:

I was diagnosed with AML (Acute Myleiod Luekemia) on April 30th of this year (I was 36 yrs old). I had been feeling fatigued and out of breath for a number of weeks and kept getting fobbed off with prescriptions. The final straw came when I had to sit on the kitchen floor to catch my breath half way through a sink of dishes while I was caring for my two sons of 4 and 2 at the time. 

I demanded to see someone and got my blood taken. Within 18 hrs I was on a private jet to Vancouver. I might not have seen that weekend out if I hadn't done what I did. It's such a gradual decline, I was still driving and going to work. I may as well have been pissed at the wheel the state I was in. Should never have been on the road.

I got very lucky with my prognosis and I was treated for 7 months in Vancouver. Only chemo, no bone marrow transplant necessary. I am currently in remission and have been monitored for the last few months. Get a bone marrow biopsy in February next year and if I don't relapse in the first 2 years, chances are I'll be good.

Worst thing was being alone in Vancouver during chemo and not getting to see my kids.

There is a lot to be said for taking your health care into your own hands. Don't let anyone fob you off If you think something is wrong. Doctor's are like any other profession. It's the luck of the draw.

#FuckCancer

Great to read how well you are doing. Good luck for your BMB in February. I've had a few and find them absolutely fine. I know others say the pain they feel when they have one is horrific. I think I'm lucky that I l have a nurse that is good at them. 

1 hour ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Great to read how well you are doing. Good luck for your BMB in February. I've had a few and find them absolutely fine. I know others say the pain they feel when they have one is horrific. I think I'm lucky that I l have a nurse that is good at them. 

I've had 4 or 5 and only one was really unpleasant. The lumbar puncture was worse. Didn't feel a thing but just the thought of what was going on really freaked me out. Particularly after they told me they had to inject prophelactic chemo into your spinal column to balance the fluid levels or your equilibrium will be all messed up. Freaky stuff.

Have to say the staff at Vancouver General were amazing and quite honestly I was relieved it happened over here and not back home. 

18 minutes ago, The Equalizer said:

prophelactic chemo

Medical words can sound scary but "prophylactic chemo" just means "fighting disease with chemicals". No idea why they insist on using cobbled together Greek and Latin words unless it's to make out it's stuff we couldn't possibly understand so we shouldn't question it.

Edited by welshbairn

On 22/12/2021 at 16:13, welshbairn said:

Medical words can sound scary but "prophylactic chemo" just means "fighting disease with chemicals". No idea why they insist on using cobbled together Greek and Latin words unless it's to make out it's stuff we couldn't possibly understand so we shouldn't question it.

It was more the fact they had to put some fluid back to replace what they took so you could walk in a straight line that freaked me out. 

On 22/12/2021 at 19:37, The Equalizer said:

I was diagnosed with AML (Acute Myleiod Luekemia) on April 30th of this year (I was 36 yrs old). I had been feeling fatigued and out of breath for a number of weeks and kept getting fobbed off with prescriptions. The final straw came when I had to sit on the kitchen floor to catch my breath half way through a sink of dishes while I was caring for my two sons of 4 and 2 at the time. 

I demanded to see someone and got my blood taken. Within 18 hrs I was on a private jet to Vancouver. I might not have seen that weekend out if I hadn't done what I did. It's such a gradual decline, I was still driving and going to work. I may as well have been pissed at the wheel the state I was in. Should never have been on the road.

I got very lucky with my prognosis and I was treated for 7 months in Vancouver. Only chemo, no bone marrow transplant necessary. I am currently in remission and have been monitored for the last few months. Get a bone marrow biopsy in February next year and if I don't relapse in the first 2 years, chances are I'll be good.

Worst thing was being alone in Vancouver during chemo and not getting to see my kids.

There is a lot to be said for taking your health care into your own hands. Don't let anyone fob you off If you think something is wrong. Doctor's are like any other profession. It's the luck of the draw.

#FuckCancer

Great news about being in remission

All the best

I’m ever so sad to hear of your loss Ad Lib, a dreadful business. No age at all.
I’m 57 and was diagnosed with a soft tissue sarcoma 3 months ago. I’ve not long completed 5 weeks of radiotherapy and now face surgery in the New Year. Prognosis seems fairly positive, so here’s hoping. 

15 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

I’m ever so sad to hear of your loss Ad Lib, a dreadful business. No age at all.
I’m 57 and was diagnosed with a soft tissue sarcoma 3 months ago. I’ve not long completed 5 weeks of radiotherapy and now face surgery in the New Year. Prognosis seems fairly positive, so here’s hoping. 

That's good

• 4 weeks later...