Living with cancer (and madwullie memorial thread)

• 4 weeks later...
Three weeks is a long time when your waiting for a doctor to tell you whether they can carry on with your treatment or there's nothing they can do. Finally this morning got a glimmer of good news in that they're happy to move onto the next stage. Looks like a round of chemo is on the cards, which I've been told is no picnic, but when there's no alternative you just need to get on with it.  Not getting carried away but definitely a step in the right direction. Been sitting in the house since I got out of hospital but my legs are slowly beginning to work again so going to try and get along to see Broughty on Saturday.

Fantastic news, any step in the right direction is. Wishing you all the very best of luck.

2 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Three weeks is a long time when your waiting for a doctor to tell you whether they can carry on with your treatment or there's nothing they can do. Finally this morning got a glimmer of good news in that they're happy to move onto the next stage. Looks like a round of chemo is on the cards, which I've been told is no picnic, but when there's no alternative you just need to get on with it.  Not getting carried away but definitely a step in the right direction. Been sitting in the house since I got out of hospital but my legs are slowly beginning to work again so going to try and get along to see Broughty on Saturday.

Good stuff. I was terrified of chemo but found it mostly a doddle, helped by the strong steroids they give you which give you a wee buzz. Not saying it's like that for everyone, and think I was on a fairly mild dose, but just pointing out it isn't awful for everyone. I was on it for 3 hours every 3 weeks I think, it varies a lot. Hope Broughty do better than Clach last Saturday..

39 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Brilliant - I’ve got everything crossed for you!

When you went quiet for a few weeks, I started to fear the worst.  The very best of luck to you

45 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

👍

That’s good news Jimi. Best of luck for the next phase of your treatment, no doubt you’ll be on here in 5 years time complaining about the Broughty performance the previous weekend!

My old man's bowel cancer came back a couple of months ago and he's gone downhill far more quickly than I would have believed possible. My sister phoned me today saying I needed to get up to the house, as the GP had been up and basically said there is nothing that can be done other than pain relief. I don't know the medical ins and outs, but basically any nutrition he eats is only strengthening the cancer, with the result that he's getting weaker and weaker and he's noticeably thinner on a weekly basis. We've been told to expect it to be over in less than a fortnight. I used to do Macmillan Welfare Rights work and have worked with families in this situation hundreds of times, I suppose it feels completely surreal that we're in that situation now. My mum and my sister are in bits, I'm trying to hold it together and we're all having to sit there absolutely fucking helpless as our Dad slowly wastes away. 

Cancer is an utter arsehole of a disease. 

3 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

My old man's bowel cancer came back a couple of months ago and he's gone downhill far more quickly than I would have believed possible. My sister phoned me today saying I needed to get up to the house, as the GP had been up and basically said there is nothing that can be done other than pain relief. I don't know the medical ins and outs, but basically any nutrition he eats is only strengthening the cancer, with the result that he's getting weaker and weaker and he's noticeably thinner on a weekly basis. We've been told to expect it to be over in less than a fortnight. I used to do Macmillan Welfare Rights work and have worked with families in this situation hundreds of times, I suppose it feels completely surreal that we're in that situation now. My mum and my sister are in bits, I'm trying to hold it together and we're all having to sit there absolutely fucking helpless as our Dad slowly wastes away. 

It's absolutely shite and you feel absolutely hopeless. Fucking awful when all you can do is be there but how could you be anywhere else. 

2 minutes ago, HTG said:

It's absolutely shite and you feel absolutely hopeless. Fucking awful when all you can do is be there but how could you be anywhere else. 

Yeah, pish. Fortunately I only live a few miles away so I can pretty much be there at the drop of a hat. My boss is also really cool with me taking whatever time I need as compassionate leave. My sister's come down from her home in Deeside to stay until "it's over" so at least we can be there. 

I'm ridiculously late to this gathering, but terribly sorry to learn of madwullie.

He was an excellent poster on here who always came across as a thoroughly good bloke.

Sympathy and love extended to his friends and especially his young family.

16 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Terrible news