Living with cancer (and madwullie memorial thread)

39 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I was thinking more...

"We can cure you but it'll cost £1m.

Nah, you're alright, just give me the money. "

If you ever need a quote I'm happy to stick a website together and offer you the treatment for a 7 figure sum in the understanding 25% comes back to me for this service.

On 20/06/2021 at 20:27, Jimi Shandrix said:

Really sad news. Far too young. My sincere condolences to his friends and family. I myself beat cancer 4 years ago but after going for an MRI yesterday on what I thought was a fucked disc at Ninewells it would appear my spine is fucking riddled with it. Outlook not great for me and I am scared as f**k but ready to fight. Hope to be spouting my shite on here again soon. Adios until then and remember to tell your nearest and dearest that you love them. 

Awful news to get mate, but stay strong. Where there's life there's hope. 

I'm a long term sufferer of prostate cancer. Had the op 5 years ago, but it's now back, so treatment starting next week. 

Bit of a shock when I was told of the recurrence, but I've sort of got my head around it, maybe because of having it before. 

I take it one day at a time and everyday precious. It certainly changes you and can be a roller coaster at times. 

A mate of mine in Aberdeen got the bad news 2 years ago and had spread to his lower back.  Got the treatment and he's doing fine. 

Stay positive mate as there's so much they can do these days. 

Edited by BlueBear

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

That is a good idea; it’s the only way any nice things will be written about me once I’m gone.

Nobody bad ever dies G D, at your funeral you'll be getting praised up and down that much your family will wonder who is getting talked about...

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Nobody bad ever dies G D, at your funeral you'll be getting praised up and down that much your family will wonder who is getting talked about...

That’s if they turn up.

15 hours ago, Adamski said:

This is an important thread - I'm glad it's here.

I lost my mum to cancer when I was 17. She had it for six years - pretty much all of my time at high school. The first five years had their ups and downs, but she lived a pretty full life through it - she was Finnish (which fairly stood out in small-town Scotland), whip-smart, artistic, had vegetarian/lentilish tendencies long long before it was cool, and I was really close to her. The last few months were brutal. It was hard to process seeing someone you love grow weak, frustrated, and desperately sad about what was happening.

The thought of her dying terrified me, and in some ways I did a lot of grieving before it actually happened to the point where things felt quite numb for a while in the aftermath. Also, given the age I was it all played out at a time when outside my home there were usual seventeen year old things like meeting girls, passing my driving test, starting to go to the pub etc. I saw all that as an escape and told very few people that she was ill. If I had my time again I think I'd be a lot more open, but I guess that's something teenage boys find harder than most people.

Since then more than 25 years have passed - my father remarried (to someone fantastic), and I've got a partner and two kids who all came along a long time after she died (my daughter gets her middle name from my mum and people who knew her often comment how alike they look). I often wonder what she would have made of the world today and how she would have got on with the family that she never met.

You're right mate, this is such an important thread and I can't read your story and @Ad Lib before it without crying my eyes out in my hospital bed just now but I'm so glad that it's here and giving folks the opportunity just to get this stuff out of their heads. Much love to you.

On 24/06/2021 at 19:30, Ad Lib said:

.At times it feels like you’re doing the grieving long before he actually passes though

22 hours ago, Adamski said:

The thought of her dying terrified me, and in some ways I did a lot of grieving before it actually happened.

I completely relate to this.   Wrestled a bit with the idea of ‘what’s worse’ over a sudden death. Both are shit obviously.

In a way starting the grief progress gradually is a good thing,  not that’s there’s ever a good process to go through.

Biggest of wishes to all posters go through the shitstorm themselves or with family.  You are a great bunch.

9 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

You're right mate, this is such an important thread and I can't read your story and @Ad Lib before it without crying my eyes out in my hospital bed just now but I'm so glad that it's here and giving folks the opportunity just to get this stuff out of their heads. Much love to you.

All the very best to you for the coming weeks and months.

Obviously I've got no idea on the details or whether this helps, but mentioning this as you mentioned cancer on your spine. My partner's uncle had/has stage 4 cancer with significant growths on his spine, and things looked pretty bleak. 4-5 years later and immunotherapy has truly worked wonders in his case: no trace of cancer, wound down all the drugs, and apart from periodic check ups essentially back to living as normal. Fingers crossed for you.

7 hours ago, Adamski said:

All the very best to you for the coming weeks and months.

Obviously I've got no idea on the details or whether this helps, but mentioning this as you mentioned cancer on your spine. My partner's uncle had/has stage 4 cancer with significant growths on his spine, and things looked pretty bleak. 4-5 years later and immunotherapy has truly worked wonders in his case: no trace of cancer, wound down all the drugs, and apart from periodic check ups essentially back to living as normal. Fingers crossed for you.

That's wonderful!

And we're back in the room. Missed yesterday out. Nothing too exciting happened at the Euro's did  it? Feel like i've been hit by a truck. Five big steel pins in my spine later, I'm just happy to be alive. We'll see what happens next. A genuinely terrifying night on Sunday. Thanks again for all your kind messages. Now, for the live of f**k, Come on Germany.

On 23/06/2021 at 13:24, Hedgecutter said:

I really hope the assisted dying legislation gets through the Scottish parliament third time lucky and that the happy-clappy 'I'm alright Jack' Christian types take a mammoth kick to the nether regions.

I couldn't agree more. My mum's mum died of cancer many decades ago, when mum was a kid. Mum is convinced, utterly convinced, that the GP "helped her along" and helped prevent a lot of needless suffering. The same GP was our family GP until he retired, even looking after me as a kid. Mum wouldn't let anyone else near the family. 

Maybe knowing this has coloured my view, but - as dad puts it - you wouldn't let a dog suffer what we let people suffer through at the end of their life. 

This is one area where I will write to my MSP expressing support. Rare for me, but I do feel strongly that this legislation will prevent pain, anxiety and suffering. Life alone is not enough, you need quality of life. 

I lost my dad to cancer a few years ago. I was 22 at the time. Some of the sentiments shared previously capture my own thoughts and feelings pretty perfectly. 

I visited his grave for his birthday last week, and the most prominent thought that I always emerge from the cemetery with is that he will never get to meet any future family I have. It breaks my heart, to be honest. It's primarily a mixture of sadness and anger, I think. 

All the best to everyone on here affected, in whatever way. 

3 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

And we're back in the room. Missed yesterday out. Nothing too exciting happened at the Euro's did  it? Feel like i've been hit by a truck. Five big steel pins in my spine later, I'm just happy to be alive. We'll see what happens next. A genuinely terrifying night on Sunday. Thanks again for all your kind messages. Now, for the live of f**k, Come on Germany.

A word of advice from a medical professional amateur football enthusiast.  If when Germany score don’t jump up to celebrate.

You’re welcome.

I'll add my tuppence worth in here but it sounds like my experiences have been light compared to others in here. My old dear died in 2012 of a brain tumour.  Diagnosed in the August (a week before my old boy had a massive stroke, ooer) and was gone by Christmas.  Spent most of those last 4 months in hospital in Aberdeen and latterly in Keith.  Shite state of affairs but she had a good innings.  Probably worse for my dad who was also in hospital at the time recovering from his stroke whilst watching my mum go through this.  To compound this, unknown to my sisters and I, my dad had prostate cancer at that time as well.  He never said a word, and had gone through some treatment by himself (he popped his clogs a couple of years back).  They were both getting on a bit at the time but still very active. Was absolutely raging with my old man that he never said anything though. Its a horrendous disease in all its forms. 

20 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

You chose the wrong day for your operation...

Glad to hear all went well, keep us posted, and all the best. Puts my condition into perspective, tbh.

On 30/06/2021 at 08:39, Jacksgranda said:

You chose the wrong day for your operation...

Glad to hear all went well, keep us posted, and all the best. Puts my condition into perspective, tbh.

Playing a waiting game now. My half an hour trip to Ninewells is just away to enter a sixteenth day. It might be another couple of weeks before I get any news though so they've decided to let me go home for a bit. If nothing is happening, it can happen there. Really looking forward to tomorrow as you can imagine. It's weird how time speeds up and slows down in hospital. A bit of normality will do me the world of good. Thanks for all your well wishes.