Central belt boundaries

18 minutes ago, Torpar said:

Not sure if Ayr was a world class university though 

Neither is St Andrew's tbf. It's just a meat market for the kids of the privileged classes that were too thick to get into Oxbridge, Durham or Edinburgh despite the private education and all the tutoring.

The Wikipedia page is correct. The central belt can be viewed as a small central belt and a large one. Don’t start your pish “anyone can edit it” - nobody is that odd that they would lie about such a thing and go to the effort to actually make maps. Do you think someone just made all this up? Don’t be so ridiculous.

Hilariously, the OP claims Ayr is in the “actual” central belt yet the wiki page shows us that the “small” central belt does NOT include Ayr, but the large one does. Who else is in the large one, yep you guessed it - established cities such as Perth and Dundee. Incredible that someone has the audacity to claim a that a diddy town like Ayr is central belt yet Perth and Dundee somehow aren’t because they’re above Stirling or some other nonsense reason. The central belt is the area with the highest population density within Scotland.

IMG_5056.jpg

43 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Don’t start your pish “anyone can edit it” - nobody is that odd that they would lie about such a thing and go to the effort to actually make maps.

First time on the internet ?

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Nah, Ayr is St Andrews in this analogy, and St Andrews isn't in the central belt.

Ayr is much too posh to compare with Kirkcaldy.

Troon is St Andrews 

Ayr is Kirkcaldy

Kilmarnock is Dunfermline 

Irvine is Glenrothes

Edited by Marshmallo

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Ayr is much too posh to compare with Kirkcaldy.

Ayr isn't posh. It happens to have two incredibly, abysmally posh suburbs which push the average poshness up. I'm trying to think of an appropriate teuchter analogy and the closest I can think of is Coupar Angus

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Apologies to any people from Ayr (is it Ayryans?) for not knowing you had mines.

Astonishing scenes.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Hilariously, the OP claims Ayr is in the “actual” central belt yet the wiki page shows us that the “small” central belt does NOT include Ayr, but the large one does.

IMG_5056.jpg

Circle the bit of this map that shows Ayr. I believe it's customary in this case to be very specific.

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

I've not been to Dunfermline for nearly 10 years so it's possible that it's been gentrified out of Fife and is now a suburb of Edinburgh.

Travelling for work is one thing but do people from Edinburgh ever travel to Dunfermline for anything else?

Met a few folk from Edinburgh at uni and the first thing they all said upon hearing I was from Dunfermline was that they used to get the train through to go to the big Primark before Edinburgh got its own one. 

3 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

This is what the Gaelickers think is the Central Belt - 

OnlMaps on Twitter: "Map of Scotland's Central Belt in Gaelic.  https://t.co/5mLCHZKcp8… "

The savages have it (mostly) correct for a change.

If you have to go through the main Queen Street tunnel to get there though - Mallaig; Inverness; Falkirk - then it's part of teuchterdom. The top centre of that map is in fact Nearer Teuchterdom then. 

56 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Ayr isn't posh. It happens to have two incredibly, abysmally posh suburbs which push the average poshness up. I'm trying to think of an appropriate teuchter analogy and the closest I can think of is Coupar Angus

My mistake, fairy nuff.

It's still not Kirkcaldy though, which is 80% shithole, and it's not central belt either IMHO.

Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 22.43.02.png

Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 22.43.33.png

The savages have it (mostly) correct for a change.
If you have to go through the main Queen Street tunnel to get there though - Mallaig; Inverness; Falkirk - then it's part of teuchterdom. The top centre of that map is in fact Nearer Teuchterdom then. 
My train journey from the North of Glasgow goes through the tunnel to get to Queen Street. Does that make me a Teuchter?

I've not been to Dunfermline for nearly 10 years so it's possible that it's been gentrified out of Fife and is now a suburb of Edinburgh.
Travelling for work is one thing but do people from Edinburgh ever travel to Dunfermline for anything else?
They're building a Costa and Burger King in Halbeath. Does that count as gentrification?

20 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
45 minutes ago, virginton said:

My train journey from the North of Glasgow goes through the tunnel to get to Queen Street. Does that make me a Teuchter?

If you have to go through the Queen Street tunnel, then yes. If you can go via Anniesland or another route into civilisation instead then no. Maryhill and Cumbernauld are therefore not in Teuchterdom, in the same way that Dumbarton is not. 

Edited by vikingTON

If you can get to an actual motorway, (other than the M74 south of Hamilton - principally a freight route to our nearest trading neighbour)  within 10 minutes of leaving your house, then you’re in the Central Belt. 

If you think dualled A roads are arterial routes, then you’re outwith. And a bumpkin. Note also that this’ll mean most of eastern Edinburgh and anything beyond Langbank are outwith the Central Belt. Case closed. 

12 hours ago, Thumper said:

Stolen from twitter because everyone there is wrong.

This is the correct boundary of the central belt. (Based on accents and potential for commuting to Glasgow it arguably extends down the west coast as far as Ballantrae.)

Anyone suggesting Stirling or (inhales) Fife as part of the central belt needs to be sectioned.

837712226_Screenshot2021-06-09at13-05-16GoogleMaps.thumb.png.4a344224f961d43b2c5d1edbb816df55.png

Edinburgh isnt even Scottish. 

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

Coalmines-

1867477062_Screenshot_20210609-1950132.thumb.png.b34f526b7d003265745954e05f652f55.png

No idea what that is from, but half of those marks in Fife are not coal mines and even go as far as dodging the coal measures all together.  In fact, some prolific coal mining areas aren't even marked on at all (e.g. Methil)

Edited by Hedgecutter

6 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

No idea what that is from, but half of those marks in Fife are not coal mines and even go as far as dodging the coal measures all together.  In fact, some prolific coal mining areas aren't even marked on at all (e.g. Methil)

Methil area is definitely on there.  Like i said, as you zoom in the markers drift down. I was surprised how far east they went in Fife but haven't looked into the data in any detail- there's probably surface outcrops that were mined way back that might be included. Also some of the ones around the edges are really short lived- maybe just prospecting? 

https://www.nmrs.org.uk/mines-map/coal-mining-in-the-british-isles/collieries-of-the-british-isles/coal-mines-scotland/

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Methil area is definitely on there.  Like i said, as you zoom in the markers drift down. I was surprised how far east they went in Fife but haven't looked into the data in any detail- there's probably surface outcrops that were mined way back that might be included. Also some of the ones around the edges are really short lived- maybe just prospecting? 

https://www.nmrs.org.uk/mines-map/coal-mining-in-the-british-isles/collieries-of-the-british-isles/coal-mines-scotland/

That's really interesting once you zoom in.