Central belt boundaries

10 minutes ago, Gaz said:

There are some absolutely wild takes on this thread.

I refer you all again to my post from Page 2 on this thread:

"Dear Mister President. Dunblane is in the central belt. PS I am not a crackpot"

I know this is only one reporter's article, but FWIW:

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/travel/central-belt-where-it-how-did-it-get-its-name-and-everything-else-you-need-know-about-scotlands-coronavirus-hotspot-2996457

There are known to be some disparities when it comes to which specific regions are identified as being part of the central belt, but the most commonly referred to sections which make it up are Clydeside, the Lothians, Stirlingshire and Clackmannanshire.

In her announcement today, the First Minister referred to five health boards as being part of the central belt and at risk of increased virus transmission, these were Greater Glasgow and Clyde, Lanarkshire, Ayrshire and Arran, Lothian and Forth Valley.

The smaller central belt is sometimes referred to as the lowland triangle, which is defined by the M8, M80 and the M9 motorways which stretch from Greenock and Glasgow to Edinburgh.

The larger central belt is more commonly thought to include Ayrshire in the south-west and Tayside to the north-east as well.

The larger central belt includes all of Scotland's major cities except for Aberdeen and Inverness.

Here are just some of the towns found in the central belt of Scotland: Livingston, Dunbar, Bathgate, Falkrik, Bo'ness, Dunfermline, Cumbernauld, Larbert, Stenhousemuir, Croy, Bishopbriggs, Bannockburn, Linlithgow, Paisley and Motherwell.

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 minutes ago, Peter Grant said:

Always thought it was just the name for the wasteland east of Glasgow city centre, west of Balerno, south of the river Forth. 

Yeah. Pretty much my take. 

Anywhere along the M8 between the edge of Edinburgh and that wee version of spaghetti junction before Ballieston. All pretty desolate places that dug coal or extracted shale oil in the main.

14 minutes ago, Peter Grant said:

Always thought it was just the name for the wasteland east of Glasgow city centre, west of Balerno, south of the river Forth. 

5 minutes ago, speckled tangerine said:

Yeah. Pretty much my take. 

Anywhere along the M8 between the edge of Edinburgh and that wee version of spaghetti junction before Ballieston. All pretty desolate places that dug coal or extracted shale oil in the main.

Hold the motherf***in' megabus... now we have folk saying that Glasgow and Edinburgh aren't in the Central Belt?

47 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Hold the motherf***in' megabus... now we have folk saying that Glasgow and Edinburgh aren't in the Central Belt?

I'm thinking there's a central belt above the two arse cheeks of Glasgow and Edinburgh. I think that makes Airdrie the arsehole of Scotland.

1 minute ago, Newbornbairn said:

I'm thinking there's a central belt above the two arse cheeks of Glasgow and Edinburgh. I think that makes Airdrie the arsehole of Scotland.

I believe they prefer the term 'cleftal horizon'.

13 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Could there be anything more iconic in the year of our lord 2021 than a Falkirk fan claiming that actually the central belt was the bit through Falkirk and not the lower bit.

13 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Is it only Scotland where we have intense debates on amorphous regional boundaries?  Is there a Welsh league forum where their fans debate whether Pontypool is part of Greater Carmarthanshire or part of the wider Glamorgan metropolitan area?

I lived in Wales for 3 years and, yes, this happens. Some folk thought South Wales was anything south of the M4. Others thought it included the Valleys. 

On 09/06/2021 at 16:29, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The Central Belt is Glasgow and Edinburgh metropolis's and everything in between. No Ayrshire, no Fife, no coastal areas like Greenock or Dumbarton.

See the source image

On 09/06/2021 at 19:54, coprolite said:

Coalmines-

Those dots drift a bit south as you zoom in on the map. 

But that's what i always thpught the central belt was based on. 

Apologies to any people from Ayr (is it Ayryans?) for not knowing you had mines

Bit careless of you if you didn't know who had yours...

Must admit I'd never really given it thought before...whenever I hear the phrase I always mentally translate it to "the bits where nearly every c**t lives" which in my mind is Ayrshire in the southwest sweeping up to maybe Tayside in the northeast, and obviously including the Glasgow-Edinburgh corridor.