Central belt boundaries

2 minutes ago, Torpar said:

Like the thousands of people that travel from South West Fife to and from Edinburgh every day? 

Fife can't be in the central belt because a) it's not even on the same fucking continental shelf and b) Fife has its own, erm, call it culture, with different foods and words and accents.

Long story short, it is easy to imagine someone from Fife using the term "central belt people" to refer to Others. Nobody from Ayr would ever consider the central belt to be elsewhere.

I once worked with a Hibee from Leith who had moved to London. Upon discovering I was from Ayr he nodded sagely and went "ah yes, Dumfries and Galloway". This person was as geographically illiterate as most of the replies on here.

11 minutes ago, Torpar said:

Like the thousands of people that travel from South West Fife to and from Edinburgh every day? 

I've not been to Dunfermline for nearly 10 years so it's possible that it's been gentrified out of Fife and is now a suburb of Edinburgh.

Travelling for work is one thing but do people from Edinburgh ever travel to Dunfermline for anything else?

1 minute ago, Thumper said:

Fife can't be in the central belt because a) it's not even on the same fucking continental shelf and b) Fife has its own, erm, call it culture, with different foods and words and accents.

Long story short, it is easy to imagine someone from Fife using the term "central belt people" to refer to Others. Nobody from Ayr would ever consider the central belt to be elsewhere.

I once worked with a Hibee from Leith who had moved to London. Upon discovering I was from Ayr he nodded sagely and went "ah yes, Dumfries and Galloway". This person was as geographically illiterate as most of the replies on here.

Edinburgh and Glasgow have very different accents, words and cultures, and people from Ayrshire insist they have different accents from Glasgow, how can they all be in the Central Belt?

21 minutes ago, Torpar said:

Edinburgh and Glasgow have very different accents, words and cultures

Yes but Edinburgh is central belt because it and its environs are the establishment along with Glasgow.

22 minutes ago, Torpar said:

people from Ayrshire insist they have different accents from Glasgow

Accents change every five miles in Scotland. Being able to even distinguish between an Ayrshire accent and a Glaswegian one is rarely a skill possessed by anyone who doesn't live there, and otherwise anyone fitting that bill is lumped in as "weegies". Much the same as central belt people look at anyone from the wrong end of the Forth Road Bridge as teuchters at best or some sort of primate at worst.

1 minute ago, Thumper said:

Yes but Edinburgh is central belt because it and its environs are the establishment along with Glasgow.

Accents change every five miles in Scotland. Being able to even distinguish between an Ayrshire accent and a Glaswegian one is rarely a skill possessed by anyone who doesn't live there, and otherwise anyone fitting that bill is lumped in as "weegies". Much the same as central belt people look at anyone from the wrong end of the Forth Road Bridge as teuchters at best or some sort of primate at worst.

Like it or not, Ayrshire is the Fife of the West Coast

Ayr = Kirkcaldy

Kilmarnock = Dunfermline 

Irvine = Glenrothes

Both have various shithole former mining villages filled with angry bigots and junior football teams

The only real differences are the accents and Fife's junkies didn't get their own TV show

I can't find a reliable source for where the phrase "central belt" came from but my understanding was always that it referred to the main coal and steel areas across the Forth and Clyde valleys with the associated industrial and population centres. 

Therefore South of Fife in, Ayr out.  Indifferent to the fate of Stirling here tbh. 

8 minutes ago, Torpar said:

Like it or not, Ayrshire is the Fife of the West Coast

Ayr = Kirkcaldy

Kilmarnock = Dunfermline 

Irvine = Glenrothes

Both have various shithole former mining villages filled with angry bigots and junior football teams

The only real differences are the accents and Fife's junkies didn't get their own TV show

Nah, Ayr is St Andrews in this analogy, and St Andrews isn't in the central belt.

Ayr is much too posh to compare with Kirkcaldy.

40 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Travelling for work is one thing but do people from Edinburgh ever travel to Dunfermline for anything else?

Fans of perennial Championship jobbers Heart of Midlothian will make regular trips tbf.

There's also a lovely park there.

5 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I can't find a reliable source for where the phrase "central belt" came from but my understanding was always that it referred to the main coal and steel areas across the Forth and Clyde valleys with the associated industrial and population centres. 

Therefore South of Fife in, Ayr out.  Indifferent to the fate of Stirling here tbh. 

That's the thing, there's no definition so it means whatever people think it means. I've always thought it would be really interesting to do a bit of polling and come up with a map like this US one, which shows which states Americans consider to be in the Midwest. 

Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 19.53.07.png

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

That's the thing, there's no definition so it means whatever people think it means. I've always thought it would be really interesting to do a bit of polling and come up with a map like this US one, which shows which states Americans consider to be in the Midwest. 

Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 19.53.07.png

Don't just talk about it, do it. 

Can you please add in a layer for where the highlands are, where people say chippy instead of chipper and where they fry pizza. 

Thanks. 

17 hours ago, GordonS said:

Nah, Ayr is St Andrews in this analogy, and St Andrews isn't in the central belt.

Ayr is much too posh to compare with Kirkcaldy.

Not sure if Ayr has a world class university though 

Edited by Torpar

Having read the discussion, I'm now thinking the Central Belt is the Glasgow/Falkirk/Edinburgh triangle, outlined by the M8/M80/M876/M9. Nowhere east of Edinburgh, or West of Glasgow. 

Edited by Soapy FFC

20 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Don't just talk about it, do it. 

Can you please add in a layer for where the highlands are, where people say chippy instead of chipper and where they fry pizza. 

Thanks. 

Ok I'll just transfer a few grand to YouGov and they can get right on it.

The chippy/chipper line would be an interesting one. I've got a decent idea of the wean/bairn line and the salt/sauce line, but I'm less familiar with the more northerly ones. 

Do they not deep fry pizza all over Scotland?