Mr Browns Boys

5 minutes ago, Waspie said:

There were plenty available if you were willing to pay. That was the same night England equalised late against Romania then conceded again even later, provoking incredible scenes in the Saint Etienne fanzone. And as well as that and buying the ticket I also bumped into Alloa legend Keith McCulloch in the fanzone. So aye, I did 😉

You didn't buy it for 80 euro would be the guy's point I expect

35 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

You didn't buy it for 80 euro would be the guy's point I expect

Yeah he is right as it turns out, France was indeed still using Francs at the time. It was a while ago 🙂. It was the equivalent of £80 (and a Scotland flag, which actually sealed the deal). 

Edited by Waspie

Cant find a post about it, but it's on BBC 1 Scotland right now and the Iplayer.  It's about France 98. Colin Hendry and Craig Burley come across as grade A p***ks but the rest of the guys seem decent 
Just watched this and what a egotistical cock Burley is.

4 minutes ago, Empty It said:
22 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:
Cant find a post about it, but it's on BBC 1 Scotland right now and the Iplayer.  It's about France 98. Colin Hendry and Craig Burley come across as grade A p***ks but the rest of the guys seem decent 

Just watched this and what a egotistical cock Burley is.

Yip! Dont remember him being that much of a cock when he was playing but clearly sees himself as some sort of comedian 

Yip! Dont remember him being that much of a cock when he was playing but clearly sees himself as some sort of comedian 
Talking about how he was raging to be playing wing back for scotland at a world cup, get a grip you absolute p***k.

9 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

They'd qualified in 86 and 94.

Indeed.

In 1986, they won England's group and only went out in the knockout stages courtesy of a last minute goal by final bound West Germany.

It's a nonsense to suggest that by the late 90s, people still saw the likes of Morocco as minnows to be easily dealt with.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

He’s very similar when commentating on games (without the swearing, obviously). He just comes across as an obnoxious arsehole.

Hendry was arguably even worse on the programme. His comments on both Norway and Morocco were delusional.

Aside from that, this was a decent watch. World Cup 98 was the first tournament I can remember properly getting into and watching all the matches, and it was interesting to see some of the footage from behind the scenes in addition to the highlights (albeit few) from our games. Collins’ penalty vs Brazil is still one of my favourite footballing memories. Can’t wait for Monday.

6 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

He’s very similar when commentating on games (without the swearing, obviously). He just comes across as an obnoxious arsehole.

Hendry was arguably even worse on the programme. His comments on both Norway and Morocco were delusional.

Aside from that, this was a decent watch. World Cup 98 was the first tournament I can remember properly getting into and watching all the matches, and it was interesting to see some of the footage from behind the scenes in addition to the highlights (albeit few) from our games. Collins’ penalty vs Brazil is still one of my favourite footballing memories. Can’t wait for Monday.

I honestly dont think I've ever watched a game hes commentated on! Lucky me 😂

Yeah Hendry came across as an utter arsehole. Dismissing Morocco and saying Norway were always too big for their boots. Theres a lot of countries I'd say that relates to but Norway wouldnt be one 

Watched this last night and enjoyed it.

Auld Broon did say that Morocco were the African champions at the time. He was usually pretty meticulous in preparation for games, so it was surprising to see how badly the whole team seemed to underestimate Morocco, although it didn't help that the team played, as Burley put it, absolutely shite.

I'm still unsure why we were made to play Estonia after they never turned up. Seemed a pretty clear case that they were completely in the wrong.

Unsure where the stuff about Hendry here is coming from. He was an absolutely fantastic player for Scotland. Let himself down in his last game, but he was at the end of his international career then anyway.

Anyway, some top nostalgia there. I was 13 when France 98 took place and it's still my favourite tournament for many reasons. Scotland being there is a big one of course, but the amount of talent was astounding and there were so many entertaining games.

Zidane, Bergkamp, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo, Cafu, Salas, Zamorano, Maldini, Del Piero, Baggio, Buffon, Inzaghi, Viera, Deschamp, Pires, Henry, Thuram, Petit, Trezeguet, Desailly McCarthy, Stoichkov, George, Okocha, Chilavert, Raul, Enrique, Mpenza, Campos, Blanco, De Boer (x2), Davids, Overmars, Kluivert, Matthäus, Klinsmann, Bierhoff, Ziege, Mihajlovic, Stanković, Valderrama, Asprilla, Shearer, McManaman, Owen, Scholes, Merson, Petrescu, Hagi, Sensini, Ortega, Veron, Crespo, Batistuta, Zanetti, Prosinećki, Śuker, Jarni, Boban.

So many great players!

22 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Watched this last night and enjoyed it.

Auld Broon did say that Morocco were the African champions at the time. He was usually pretty meticulous in preparation for games, so it was surprising to see how badly the whole team seemed to underestimate Morocco, although it didn't help that the team played, as Burley put it, absolutely shite.

I'm still unsure why we were made to play Estonia after they never turned up. Seemed a pretty clear case that they were completely in the wrong.

Unsure where the stuff about Hendry here is coming from. He was an absolutely fantastic player for Scotland. Let himself down in his last game, but he was at the end of his international career then anyway.

Anyway, some top nostalgia there. I was 13 when France 98 took place and it's still my favourite tournament for many reasons. Scotland being there is a big one of course, but the amount of talent was astounding and there were so many entertaining games.

Zidane, Bergkamp, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo, Cafu, Salas, Zamorano, Maldini, Del Piero, Baggio, Buffon, Inzaghi, Viera, Deschamp, Pires, Henry, Thuram, Petit, Trezeguet, Desailly McCarthy, Stoichkov, George, Okocha, Chilavert, Raul, Enrique, Mpenza, Campos, Blanco, De Boer (x2), Davids, Overmars, Kluivert, Matthäus, Klinsmann, Bierhoff, Ziege, Mihajlovic, Stanković, Valderrama, Asprilla, Shearer, McManaman, Owen, Scholes, Merson, Petrescu, Hagi, Sensini, Ortega, Veron, Crespo, Batistuta, Zanetti, Prosinećki, Śuker, Jarni, Boban.

So many great players!

Wooft! What a fucking list!

46 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Lennart Johansson was the head of UEFA. Lennart Johannsson was Swedish. Sweden were in our group.

50 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The Moroccans had drawn with Norway and got hammered by Brazil, they clearly had some talented players like Hadji but we had to be confident of getting a result against them. Dreadful performance though. In hindsight we should've had Goram in goals for the tournament, would've been hard to drop Leighton after that performance against Sweden at Ibrox however.

On the subject of Sweden, I'm pretty sure the fact Lennart Johansson was UEFA president at the time influenced the decision to reschedule the Estonia game, still didn't help them qualify 😁

Agree about Hendry, fantastic player for us, at his peak we had the tightest defence in Europe. 

Edited by Lurkst

17 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

The Moroccans had drawn with Norway and got hammered by Brazil, they clearly had some talented players like Hadji but we had to be confident of getting a result against them. Dreadful performance though. In hindsight we should've had Goram in goals for the tournament, would've been hard to drop Leighton after that performance against Sweden at Ibrox however.

On the subject of Sweden, I'm pretty sure the fact Lennart Johansson was UEFA president at the time influenced the decision to reschedule the Estonia game, still didn't help them qualify 😁

Agree about Hendry, fantastic player for us, at his peak we had the tightest defence in Europe. 

I don't think Goram would have made any difference in the Morocco game. We were just so gash and seemed surprised by Morocco. He probably wouldn't have chucked one in like Leighton did mind, but he wouldn't have been able to boot the arse of those in front of him unfortunately. Just a terrible, terrible performance that night.

Didn't know that about the UEFA president! Dodgy stuff.

52 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I've probably missed a load of players too!

Probably heavily influenced by my age but for me France 98 and Euro 2020 were the peak years of international football. Genuinely great players & teams all over the place. 

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I don't think Goram would have made any difference in the Morocco game. We were just so gash and seemed surprised by Morocco. He probably wouldn't have chucked one in like Leighton did mind, but he wouldn't have been able to boot the arse of those in front of him unfortunately. Just a terrible, terrible performance that night.

Didn't know that about the UEFA president! Dodgy stuff.

Leighton was terrible at both the first two goals, off the back of an awful season at club level.  The match was tight till the second with us having quite a few good chances, Burley in particularly missing a great chance to equalise.

That said, Goram had been pish that season at club level as well.

17 hours ago, Empty It said:
17 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Talking about how he was raging to be playing wing back for scotland at a world cup, get a grip you absolute p***k.

H#ns#n refused to play right ( full ) back against Brazil

which David Narey took full advantage off

4 hours ago, Lurkst said:

The Moroccans had drawn with Norway and got hammered by Brazil, they clearly had some talented players like Hadji but we had to be confident of getting a result against them. Dreadful performance though. In hindsight we should've had Goram in goals for the tournament, would've been hard to drop Leighton after that performance against Sweden at Ibrox  

Agreed about Hendry, fantastic player for us, at his peak we had the tightest defence in Europe. 

3 - 5 - 2 !

I remember Hendry out Baxtering Jim Baxter , bringing the ball forward from the back keepy uppy

IIRC against Brazil