Mr Browns Boys

11 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I grew to find Burley alright as the programme went on. Him telling Miller to fck off was perhaps the best bit of the show 😂

Hendry just seemed bitter. Slagging Blair (cant say I blame him), then bad mouthing Norway and Morroco 

Why did he tell Willie (?) to eff off ?

Did Willie tell Burley to track back with the opposition runners ?

not to get sent off in a vital game ?

his dyed hair looked excrement ?

11 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I hadn’t realised when we played Morrocco they were the African Champions. Some of the comments about them being a “gimme” were a tad disrespectful seen as we got an absolute chasing in that game.

Who got sent off in that game ?

12 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Colin Hendry's rehab as a beloved braveheart warrior from the good old days is an excellent PR job by someone considering that his two most notable contributions in a Scotland shirt were being absolutely done by Gascoigne and almost killing a San Marino player in a cowardly assault.

The latter was S##n#ss - esque ( v. Butch Wilkins for one )

Sure we could have went through with a draw against Morocco if Brazil had thumped Norway. However we got absolutely bodied.

Can mind folk in the build-up to the game expecting us to thump Morocco as this was the days before wall-to-wall football so not many folk outside of special interest geeks had any idea they were a decent team.

12 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I hadn’t realised when we played Morrocco they were the African Champions. Some of the comments about them being a “gimme” were a tad disrespectful seen as we got an absolute chasing in that game.

Were they?

12 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Sure we could have went through with a draw against Morocco if Brazil had thumped Norway. However we got absolutely bodied.

Can mind folk in the build-up to the game expecting us to thump Morocco as this was the days before wall-to-wall football so not many folk outside of special interest geeks had any idea they were a decent team.

They'd qualified in 86 and 94.

1 hour ago, ewan14 said:

Why did he tell Willie (?) to eff off ?

Did Willie tell Burley to track back with the opposition runners ?

not to get sent off in a vital game ?

his dyed hair looked excrement ?

Basically this. He said Miller was telling him to get up, back, to the side etc so he told him to fck off. Of course they focused on him getting his hair dyed as well 😂

Edited by Thereisalight..

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Basically this. He said Miller was telling him to get up, back, to the side etc so he told him to fck off. Of course they focused on him getting his hair dyed as well 😂

It was Alex Miller (Craig Brown's assistant) he was talking about. not Willie Miller.

I was at the big tent in Glasgow Green for the Brazil game in 98.

I'd just taken two steps from the  bar when we were awarded a penalty.

Pints. Fuckin. Everywhere.

Just had to turn round, go back to the bar and re-order.

Good times!

This was the first major tournament I remember. I was at the Latvia game as a six year old and along with my mum and dads pals family we drove from Inverness to Paris for a 2 week camping holiday.

My dad and his mate went to the Norway game in Bordeaux and I always remember being angry with him because I wasn’t allowed to go and watch the Brazil game with them under the Eiffel Tower, must of been a fan zone or something near there?, and had to go to Disney Land instead.

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

Certainly plenty folk thought that but Morocco had a decent result against Norway and you just had to look at their team to see they had players playing at a high level. My memory of it was that we were expecting a hard match. 

Really enjoyed the programme and the memories it brought back. I thought all involved came out if pretty wellI. I went over after the first game and watched the Norway match in the Bordeaux fanzone. Managed to buy a ticket for the Morocco game in the town the night before for 80 Euro and a Scotland flag. I ended up surrounded pretty much by Morocco fans in the stadium but they were a decent bunch. The pre-match in the town centre in Saint Etienne and the march from there out to the ground was absolutely fantastic, really great memories. Such a shame that when we finally make it back to a finals that there is no equivalent trip. But we'll make the most of it. 

18 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Colin Hendry's rehab as a beloved braveheart warrior from the good old days is an excellent PR job by someone considering that his two most notable contributions in a Scotland shirt were being absolutely done by Gascoigne and almost killing a San Marino player in a cowardly assault.

I agree partly with this.

Whenever I think of Hendry his actions in the San Marino game are one of the first things which come to mind.

It was shocking behaviout but what I remember equally was his arrogance in the Sportscene post match interview with no hint of regret. Even worse followed when Craig Brown refused to condemn his captain and dismissed the vicious thuggery witnessed that evening.

This was most unlike Brown as we all know which made it all the more bizarre as Hendry had shamed the Scotland shirt.

However, that act aside, Hendry was a good reliable player for us who was never guilty of withdrawing from squads.

And he did score twice in the San Marino game!

Edited by Anfield 1977
spelling error

10 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Were they?

They'd qualified in 86 and 94.

I’d need to watch that show again. I’m sure Craig Brown said they were the African Champions (8:10 that’s what he says). Looking at the African Cup of Nations they hadn’t won that. Maybe he meant they were the African National Team of the Year.

EACA1F37-73C4-4E57-846D-49DC61F1551A.png

Edited by Scary Bear

I was at the big tent in Glasgow Green for the Brazil game in 98.
I'd just taken two steps from the  bar when we were awarded a penalty.
Pints. Fuckin. Everywhere.
Just had to turn round, go back to the bar and re-order.

Good times!

A proper drinker would never lose their pints like that![emoji6]

57 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Naw you didnae ;)

There were plenty available if you were willing to pay. That was the same night England equalised late against Romania then conceded again even later, provoking incredible scenes in the Saint Etienne fanzone. And as well as that and buying the ticket I also bumped into Alloa legend Keith McCulloch in the fanzone. So aye, I did 😉