Kelty Hearts Thread

Just rewatched the game via the highlights. Young Milne took more of a doing than I realised 😳  He's looked decent before today so hopefully keeps his head up. 

Need to shake this off & look to win next week. This is the first game for a long time where we were totally outclassed. Onwards & upwards.

How do Kelty fans asses the season so far? It looks like you will pick up points here and there and finish in 8th place. 

At the start of the season, I would of fancied you to get in the top 4.   

Are you expecting more next season? or have you found your level in league 1 just happy to consolidate?

30 minutes ago, Connor7 said:

How do Kelty fans asses the season so far? It looks like you will pick up points here and there and finish in 8th place. 

Are you expecting more next season? or have you found your level in league 1 just happy to consolidate?

Underwhelming. I would have hoped we'd be closer to 5/6th place tbh on paper with the team. Last Saturday aside we've always been in every game even when losing.

Next season will be unpredictable. We'll likely lose a few experienced heads and need to go with younger players. Less investment highly likely too so this could well be our level for now.

1 hour ago, leomessi1984 said:

Underwhelming. I would have hoped we'd be closer to 5/6th place tbh on paper with the team. Last Saturday aside we've always been in every game even when losing.

Next season will be unpredictable. We'll likely lose a few experienced heads and need to go with younger players. Less investment highly likely too so this could well be our level for now.

Think that's probably fair enough to he honest. Probably get crowds of a 4-500 and then if there are "bigger" teams in the division like there have been this season then you'll get 1,000 to 1,500. For a village side and an ex-junior one at that, I'd consider that successful. In a good year you might challenge for promotion, in a bad year you might go down. We've seen Brechin, Cowdenbeath, Arbroath etc get into the Championship with varying success but without a big backer it's unlikely to last forever; again, that's no bad thing.

6 hours ago, Connor7 said:

I think there is a bit of a difference between L2 and L1. Players are generally fitter, faster and stronger. I’m surprised at the difference, wasn’t expecting it. I think we were all lulled a bit by the ease of L2 win.

Took a while to find our feet at this level, not helped IMO by the manager. He doesn’t inspire me at all, no idea what he does to the team standing on the sidelines barking like a demented seal about SHAPE SHAPE SHAPE. His football is night and day from Thomson’s. More launch it early rather than Thomsons passing game. At times when we have passed it about we have looked good but hes took quick and often in demanding we go back to front quickly.

Haven’t has a consistent stable defence all season for one reason or another, that’s always gonna cost you IMO especially when trying to find your feet at higher level. And goal threat has diminished greatly too. 

Overall happy to be staying in the league but I have a feeling that’s more to Clyde and Peterhead being honking rather than us. I think next season will be a challenge. 

6 hours ago, Connor7 said:

Been a bit flat this season to be honest after the promotions up through the leagues but Saturday aside we've more than held our own in games but can't see out results at times , personally don't think Potter has got the best out of what's available to him and as Leo says will probably lose a few of the older lads and have to become more self sufficient financial wise , see this as a good thing as we might see the fruits of the youth teams come through , still pinching myself we are here at this level and hopeful we can stay here for the next wee while 

20 hours ago, leomessi1984 said:

Which players are out of contract at the end of this season?

How in the actual f**k do we walk away with no points today 🙈 lucky with the penalty save but to hit the woodwork 4 times is unreal! Genuinely thought we played well today, usual story where we can’t kill off a game or see it out…. Gutted with that one today! 

On 14/03/2023 at 13:58, Connor7 said:

It's a question you can approach from a number of different perspectives. Just over a decade ago Dunfermline were in the Premier League and Kelty were in the Juniors. If you'd told a Kelty supporter that within 10 years they'd be visiting East End Park for a league game they'd have expected you to drive off in a clown car. That being said there are certain issues and weaknesses within the Scottish game that have given rise to events that on paper seem incredible. Cowdenbeath went from propping up the entire league to being in the same league as Rangers, Hearts and Hibs at the same time. They are now in the Lowland League with Gretna, who's journey from English non league football to where they are now included a detour to the Premier League, the Scottish Cup Final and Europe. Former Highland League clubs have been regular fixtures in the top flight and since Meadowbank became Livingston they've went from the bottom to the top - twice. This season it's looking likely a club that was amatuer in 2019 will achieve its third successive promotion and become a Premier League club. Scottish football really is a funny old game, and that's before you take into account the seismic changes happening below League Two, changes that will slowly change the landscape of Scottish football further in the years ahead. 

I mention all this because against this backdrop of semi organised chaos, a lot of people expected the sheiks and the oligarchs that were obviously pumping billions into Kelty to strap a rocket to the club and take them beyond the moon and out towards Mars. The reality is that as the only village club in the League it was never and should never have been about that. In my view it was about finding a realistic level that Kelty can comfortably and sustainably compete at, and the truth is I don't think anyone can be certain exactly what that level is. Getting out the Lowland League was bloody difficult and thankfully we got the jump before the floodgates opened. If you've ever seen two obese people trying to get through a small doorway at the same time it'll give you some idea of what that particular journey is going to look like in the years ahead. A lot of people also mistakenly believe that there isn't much daylight between League One and League Two. This definitely isn't the case, the League features big clubs on their uppers from the championship, and for the most part the best of the rest. 

Personally, this season was about consolidating our place by hook or by crook, and it looks as though it's mission accomplished. The fact that either Clyde or Peterhead look like posting an historically low points total for the 9th placed club has helped ease the pressure, but I'll happily take it. At points the squad has looked a bit stretched, you can use that as an argument for leaving the manager alone or make a case for having someone who can get the best out of what he's got. Personally, I think the squad has got talented players that can compete at this level, whether they've got enough of them to have done any better is another question but that's a judgement call I fully trust the club to make - they've earned that by delivering when and where it matters. 

Given how mental Scottish Football is it isn't outwith the realm of possibility that we have a decent season and end up in the championship. I don't think that we'll ever be an established championship club, and time will tell whether we survive League One long term. I'll tell you what though, we should throw the kitchen sink at avoiding League Two. There are a number of clubs who's position as a League Club will become increasingly threatened over the next few years and Kelty are by no means out the woods. It's great that we've got that buffer between us and the trapdoor, and ideally I'd like it to stay that way. Next year will be tough, it's possible we won't have those big gates against both Dunfermline and Falkirk, although on the plus side it doesn't look like there are any fallen giants coming down or any unknown upstarts coming up. Nobody will be under any illusions next year, that's for sure. 

12 hours ago, KH4 said:

It's a question you can approach from a number of different perspectives. Just over a decade ago Dunfermline were in the Premier League and Kelty were in the Juniors. If you'd told a Kelty supporter that within 10 years they'd be visiting East End Park for a league game they'd have expected you to drive off in a clown car. That being said there are certain issues and weaknesses within the Scottish game that have given rise to events that on paper seem incredible. Cowdenbeath went from propping up the entire league to being in the same league as Rangers, Hearts and Hibs at the same time. They are now in the Lowland League with Gretna, who's journey from English non league football to where they are now included a detour to the Premier League, the Scottish Cup Final and Europe. Former Highland League clubs have been regular fixtures in the top flight and since Meadowbank became Livingston they've went from the bottom to the top - twice. This season it's looking likely a club that was amatuer in 2019 will achieve its third successive promotion and become a Premier League club. Scottish football really is a funny old game, and that's before you take into account the seismic changes happening below League Two, changes that will slowly change the landscape of Scottish football further in the years ahead. 

I mention all this because against this backdrop of semi organised chaos, a lot of people expected the sheiks and the oligarchs that were obviously pumping billions into Kelty to strap a rocket to the club and take them beyond the moon and out towards Mars. The reality is that as the only village club in the League it was never and should never have been about that. In my view it was about finding a realistic level that Kelty can comfortably and sustainably compete at, and the truth is I don't think anyone can be certain exactly what that level is. Getting out the Lowland League was bloody difficult and thankfully we got the jump before the floodgates opened. If you've ever seen two obese people trying to get through a small doorway at the same time it'll give you some idea of what that particular journey is going to look like in the years ahead. A lot of people also mistakenly believe that there isn't much daylight between League One and League Two. This definitely isn't the case, the League features big clubs on their uppers from the championship, and for the most part the best of the rest. 

Personally, this season was about consolidating our place by hook or by crook, and it looks as though it's mission accomplished. The fact that either Clyde or Peterhead look like posting an historically low points total for the 9th placed club has helped ease the pressure, but I'll happily take it. At points the squad has looked a bit stretched, you can use that as an argument for leaving the manager alone or make a case for having someone who can get the best out of what he's got. Personally, I think the squad has got talented players that can compete at this level, whether they've got enough of them to have done any better is another question but that's a judgement call I fully trust the club to make - they've earned that by delivering when and where it matters. 

Given how mental Scottish Football is it isn't outwith the realm of possibility that we have a decent season and end up in the championship. I don't think that we'll ever be an established championship club, and time will tell whether we survive League One long term. I'll tell you what though, we should throw the kitchen sink at avoiding League Two. There are a number of clubs who's position as a League Club will become increasingly threatened over the next few years and Kelty are by no means out the woods. It's great that we've got that buffer between us and the trapdoor, and ideally I'd like it to stay that way. Next year will be tough, it's possible we won't have those big gates against both Dunfermline and Falkirk, although on the plus side it doesn't look like there are any fallen giants coming down or any unknown upstarts coming up. Nobody will be under any illusions next year, that's for sure. 

Excellent post and really sums everything up about our rise and this season , we've been on the up for last five years so was always going to be a reality check when we came up against it . One thing for sure the face of the lower leagues of Scottish football is changing and Kelty were at the forefront (in recent times) in that happening with regards to the junior teams exodus , always frustrated when we lose even when we were playing the likes Lochgelly Albert n Dunfermline Jubilee many years ago 😂😂 but by god loving where we are now and long may  it continue