Kelty Hearts Thread

Whether Kelty or anyone else wins any division is only partly down to the side in question.

All a fan or coach can ask is that a team plays to realistic expectations over a season. If, for whatever reason, another team vastly exceeds realistic expectations then fair play to them.

Leicester City were the most glaring recent example of a team outrageously outperforming expectations. Six years ago, fans of any number of likely EPL relegation strugglers would've been calling for mass executions if you'd told them their club would finish 30-odd points behind Leicester, yet finishing 30 points behind Leicester was good enough for Stoke to finish 9th. If you'd backed Stoke against Leicester in a season matchbet, you'd have bitten hands off for 51 points and 9th. You'd have strongly fancied your chances of picking up some winnings. Someone who fancied Stoke and randomly picked Leicester as opponents from a list of season matchbets was unlucky. Other Stoke-fancying punters might've picked WBA or Palace in similar bets and drawn their winnings in comfort. Finishing a point above defending champions Chelsea was good enough for 9th too, so clubs can underperform to just as great an extent as they can exceed expectations. Leicester won that title by 10 points, but their points total was way below average for EPL champions. It's not easy to accurately predict what a winning points total will be in a league, but obviously a highly competitive league will usually be won with a far lower points total than a league in which two clubs have budgets 5 or 6 times as large as the rest.

Rangers, Celtic, Barcelona, Port Vale, Rot-Weiss Essen, Kelty, Stenny, Fort William, Camelon Juniors and Mother Teresa School u-15s all have a relatively narrow band of points expectations that they can realistically be expected to fall within in the coming season. Most will finish within the expected points range. One or two may finish well outside of it.

If a joint leader in a pro golf tournament after 54 holes is 8-under and shoots a last round 66 on a par 72 course, 2nd best round of the day, then it's hard to criticise him if a guy who was a shot back cards a course record 64. If he shoots 73 and loses to a 71, he may be disappointed.

It does not look a vintage division this year, though admittedly there seems an absence of obvious lame ducks. In golf terms, Kelty look to be a high-calibre club pro, with Challenge Tour aspirations, taking on a field of respectable single-figure handicappers in a scratch event. Even if Forfar & Stirling normally play off 2 and even if they play to their best, Kelty would  have to put in a bad round to be vulnerable. 

For me, 80 points is not an unrealistic target for Kelty. Anything less than 2-points-per game would be an unacceptable level of underachievement. 22/23 wins should be low end of expectations. If someone else gets 80 to Kelty's 79, then fair fux, but I can't see anyone else getting near 80. To finish on 69 and be 2nd to someone who gets 70 should see folk banished from the realm and exiled to St.Kilda for a few years.

In my view, Kelty should be between 1/3 and 2/5 with the bookies.

Edited by FortescueFotheringhamSmyth

3 hours ago, FortescueFotheringhamSmyth said:

Whether Kelty or anyone else wins any division is only partly down to the side in question.

All a fan or coach can ask is that a team plays to realistic expectations over a season. If, for whatever reason, another team vastly exceeds realistic expectations then fair play to them.

Leicester City were the most glaring recent example of a team outrageously outperforming expectations. Six years ago, fans of any number of likely EPL relegation strugglers would've been calling for mass executions if you'd told them their club would finish 30-odd points behind Leicester, yet finishing 30 points behind Leicester was good enough for Stoke to finish 9th. If you'd backed Stoke against Leicester in a season matchbet, you'd have bitten hands off for 51 points and 9th. You'd have strongly fancied your chances of picking up some winnings. Someone who fancied Stoke and randomly picked Leicester as opponents from a list of season matchbets was unlucky. Other Stoke-fancying punters might've picked WBA or Palace in similar bets and drawn their winnings in comfort. Finishing a point above defending champions Chelsea was good enough for 9th too, so clubs can underperform to just as great an extent as they can exceed expectations. Leicester won that title by 10 points, but their points total was way below average for EPL champions. It's not easy to accurately predict what a winning points total will be in a league, but obviously a highly competitive league will usually be won with a far lower points total than a league in which two clubs have budgets 5 or 6 times as large as the rest.

Rangers, Celtic, Barcelona, Port Vale, Rot-Weiss Essen, Kelty, Stenny, Fort William, Camelon Juniors and Mother Teresa School u-15s all have a relatively narrow band of points expectations that they can realistically be expected to fall within in the coming season. Most will finish within the expected points range. One or two may finish well outside of it.

If a joint leader in a pro golf tournament after 54 holes is 8-under and shoots a last round 66 on a par 72 course, 2nd best round of the day, then it's hard to criticise him if a guy who was a shot back cards a course record 64. If he shoots 73 and loses to a 71, he may be disappointed.

It does not look a vintage division this year, though admittedly there seems an absence of obvious lame ducks. In golf terms, Kelty look to be a high-calibre club pro, with Challenge Tour aspirations, taking on a field of respectable single-figure handicappers in a scratch event. Even if Forfar & Stirling normally play off 2 and even if they play to their best, Kelty would  have to put in a bad round to be vulnerable. 

For me, 80 points is not an unrealistic target for Kelty. Anything less than 2-points-per game would be an unacceptable level of underachievement. 22/23 wins should be low end of expectations. If someone else gets 80 to Kelty's 79, then fair fux, but I can't see anyone else getting near 80. To finish on 69 and be 2nd to someone who gets 70 should see folk banished from the realm and exiled to St.Kilda for a few years.

In my view, Kelty should be between 1/3 and 2/5 with the bookies.

Cracking post...if a bit lengthy 🤣

Guest mr_malcolm
Going to the game against Cowdenbeath and I'm wondering 
What is the best/easiest way of getting to Kelty via public transport ?
I'm coming from Glasgow if that helps

Just head for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow

1 hour ago, Eric's Cantina said:

No trains go through Kelty, so if using public transport, it'll be bus. I'd recommend a bus from Buchanan Street to Dunfermline. From there it'll be easy to catch a bus from Dunfermline bus station to Kelty. Google East of Scotland Stagecoach, both services you'll need are run by them and work out timing etc. You'll be able to get a bus going back the way at that time as well. The ground isn't well signposted in the village but anyone will be able to tell you we're it is, it's fairly central. 

8 hours ago, KH4 said:

No trains go through Kelty, so if using public transport, it'll be bus. I'd recommend a bus from Buchanan Street to Dunfermline. From there it'll be easy to catch a bus from Dunfermline bus station to Kelty. Google East of Scotland Stagecoach, both services you'll need are run by them and work out timing etc. You'll be able to get a bus going back the way at that time as well. The ground isn't well signposted in the village but anyone will be able to tell you we're it is, it's fairly central. 

Think it's the 7B bus that does Dunfermline to Kelty.

10 hours ago, Eric's Cantina said:

Quickest way would be a bus from Buchanan Street bus station to Cowdenbeath the X27 get off at the Fountain at Cowdenbeath.

Go up the High Street and to the bus stop opposite the railway station you get a bus from Kelty there.

You can also get a train but would have to change at Haymarket.

edited to add just seen KH4’s post you can of course do the same via Dunfermline, probably better with Dunfermline as more express busses stop there.

If you get an X27 or any other stagecoach bus ask for an East of Scotland day ticket as it’s £9 and cheaper than buying singles.

Edited by cowdenbeath

20 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Do they have anyone older than 35 other than Dougie Hill?

Cardle and Tidser could probably both do a more than acceptable job in the league above.

Austin, Peggie, Barjonas, Reilly, Forster all under 30.

Cardle was fantastic in L1 for Partick last season. He is absolutely nowhere near being 'past it' for L2. He should be one of the best payers in the league.

14 hours ago, Eric's Cantina said:

Train to Edinburgh then Cowdenbeath will get you close.  Bus from there to Kelty.

Or bus straight to Dunfermline then Kelty from there also a cheaper option.

Edited by leomessi1984

Re the age of the Kelty squad it has comedown in the close season with the likes of Andy Rodgers and Jamie Stevenson moving on.

The new boys coming in apart from JoJo are young guys, although Cardle will be one of the top players in L2.

Among first team players that have featured during pre season and that are likely to be playing week in week out, the average age is 27. Only DJ, Tidser, Cardle, Higgy and Hill are 30 and above. Age wise its a decent spread with some quality, experienced players and a large group who are at various stages of their 20s. At this level and with this team I don't think age is likely to be a factor, but it can be an issue in some instances where youve got an older squad playing in a league that predominantly features younger squads. Inter Miami are a good example of this at the moment. 

Cardle clearly has some quality about him still but I have noticed that the further into a game he goes, the less involved he becomes. He still impacts the game and he doesn't go missing altogether, but I've felt that there's a bit of a drop off and he doesn't quite catch the eye in the same way he would earlier in the game. I'm OK with that as long as he's being used properly. 

Tidser looks as effective at 85 minutes as he does at kick off and Higgy has a lot of energy throughout. All things considered I don't expect age to adversely impact us. 

I wonder what our chances are of getting someone else in at the back before business is wrapped up? Scobbie, Boyle and Reid have moved on and Forster has signed. Blacks also joined and is an option but didn't put in a great performance at RB on Saturday. That gives us Peggie, Hill, Forster, Hooper with McNab, Philp and Black also capable. I wouldn't mind another option there either as competition for places or as back up. 

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Anywhere else to park? If not I’ll leave it.

If you are early enough you will get a space on Bath Street.  Outside of that look to park in the local streets across from the doctors on the corner of Bath Streets entrance.

Edited by leomessi1984

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Anywhere else to park? If not I’ll leave it.

As said above Bath Street is the next best option.

Parking is one of the downfalls about NCP although you can say the same about a lot of places.