Jump to content

Kelty Hearts League 2 Quest


Recommended Posts

A true underdog story.

Sorry but anyone who knows anything about this level of football knew you would absolutely piss this league.

The strength of that bench yesterday is just another indication of the luxury you have to pick from.

Thomson has done the job well though and long term will be a better man at the helm than Ferguson for when you start facing teams with a better or more even budget than you currently have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

A true underdog story.

Sorry but anyone who knows anything about this level of football knew you would absolutely piss this league.

The strength of that bench yesterday is just another indication of the luxury you have to pick from.

Thomson has done the job well though and long term will be a better man at the helm than Ferguson for when you start facing teams with a better or more even budget than you currently have.

No hiding the investment, also never said it was an underdog story. The journey is still remarkable nonetheless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't understand what is remarkable about it.

You have had a larger budget than your opposition at every step of the process.

Remarkable is what Dick Campbell is doing at Arbroath with a fraction of the budget of his competitors. What's happening at Kelty is no more than routine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Neilly said:

I don't understand what is remarkable about it.

You have had a larger budget than your opposition at every step of the process.

Remarkable is what Dick Campbell is doing at Arbroath with a fraction of the budget of his competitors. What's happening at Kelty is no more than routine.

The turnaround is remarkable. Driven by budget, no argument there, but for a fan who's been there from previous it's still remarkable to find ourselves in our current position.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/11/2021 at 15:47, Neilly said:

I don't understand what is remarkable about it.

You have had a larger budget than your opposition at every step of the process.

Remarkable is what Dick Campbell is doing at Arbroath with a fraction of the budget of his competitors. What's happening at Kelty is no more than routine.

Possibly the first time in my life, but have to agree with Neilly here.

The only thing remarkable about all of this is the amount of money that’s been thrown at a part time football team.

Anyone on here could manage Kelty to the title with the squad they have, in fact the players could do it themselves without a manager.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

...but at least you are not bitter about any of this. Not so long ago there was a glass ceiling that stopped a club like Kelty from moving beyond this sort of level:

It will be a while before having a former junior club at the top of League Two feels normal rather than remarkable. There's more coming particularly from the west that won't need to be financially doped to make a significant impact in the lower divisions along with another, Darvel, who will be if the Killie pieman hangs around long enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

...but at least you are not bitter about any of this. Not so long ago there was a glass ceiling that stopped a club like Kelty from moving beyond this sort of level:

It will be a while before having a former junior club at the top of League Two feels normal rather than remarkable. There's more coming particularly from the west that won't need to be financially doped to make a significant impact in the lower divisions along with another, Darvel, who will be if the Killie pieman hangs around long enough.

Don’t think they are being particularly bitter.

Just pointing out it was a shoe in with the squad they have.

If someone is happy to chuck a lot of money at a club then good luck to them.

Problems normally start to happen if the funding stops.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, big al said:

Possibly the first time in my life, but have to agree with Neilly here.

The only thing remarkable about all of this is the amount of money that’s been thrown at a part time football team.

Anyone on here could manage Kelty to the title with the squad they have, in fact the players could do it themselves without a manager.

 

Aye ok then 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

...but at least you are not bitter about any of this. Not so long ago there was a glass ceiling that stopped a club like Kelty from moving beyond this sort of level:

It will be a while before having a former junior club at the top of League Two feels normal rather than remarkable. There's more coming particularly from the west that won't need to be financially doped to make a significant impact in the lower divisions along with another, Darvel, who will be if the Killie pieman hangs around long enough.

Not bitter here pal. Used to do work for Keltys money man, decent guy.

Wasnt a glass ceiling either, junior clubs chose to be junior.

People go on about the junior ‘giants’ joining the leagues as if it’s some kind of saviour for Scottish football. ‘It will push up the quality of football in this country’. 
Pish. It’s the same players, just signed for a different team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/11/2021 at 22:36, big al said:

Possibly the first time in my life, but have to agree with Neilly here.

The only thing remarkable about all of this is the amount of money that’s been thrown at a part time football team.

Anyone on here could manage Kelty to the title with the squad they have, in fact the players could do it themselves without a manager.

 

I'm seeing a lot of comments like this, and it's easily perceived as sour grapes. Is it a bad thing that people want to invest in a lower league Scottish club? Personally I think it's great. The only caveat being that the club need to become self-sustaining in the long-term, to avoid a repetition of Gretna if the money is suddenly pulled. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

I'm seeing a lot of comments like this, and it's easily perceived as sour grapes. Is it a bad thing that people want to invest in a lower league Scottish club? Personally I think it's great. The only caveat being that the club need to become self-sustaining in the long-term, to avoid a repetition of Gretna if the money is suddenly pulled. 

Kelty, or more specifically their general manager, have said that they want to become self sustainable (to avoid a Gretna scenario).

it’s easy to do that, as long as they accept it’s not a level at which they are operating at just now. They don’t have the fan base for that, unless another benefactor appears.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, big al said:

...Wasnt a glass ceiling either, junior clubs chose to be junior.

People go on about the junior ‘giants’ joining the leagues as if it’s some kind of saviour for Scottish football. ‘It will push up the quality of football in this country’. 
Pish. It’s the same players, just signed for a different team.

The SFL operated as a cartel so don't see how that first bit can be justified. Don't think the second bit is true. There has always been significant overlap in quality at the top end of the juniors and the lower end of the national divisions that has meant that the overall standard of the elite part-time professional level has not been what it could have been. If a club like Auchinleck Talbot play their way into League Two by the end of next season they will probably have a significant number of players on board that would have opted for the west superleague five years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, big al said:

Kelty, or more specifically their general manager, have said that they want to become self sustainable (to avoid a Gretna scenario).

it’s easy to do that, as long as they accept it’s not a level at which they are operating at just now. They don’t have the fan base for that, unless another benefactor appears.

Totally agree and have said many times before. Your level eventually will be dictated by your fanbase unless you have a steady stream of money men.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Totally agree and have said many times before. Your level eventually will be dictated by your fanbase unless you have a steady stream of money men.

Wouldn't disagree with this. However if we can have few a highly successful years our fanbase will grow (as it has already by quite a bit) which will help in that drive to become more self sustainable. Facilities & infrastructure improvement in place will also last and support us for the future.

Edited by leomessi1984
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, leomessi1984 said:

Wouldn't disagree with this. However if we can have few a highly successful years our fanbase will grow (as it has already by quite a bit) which will help in that drive to become more self sustainable. Facilities & infrastructure improvement in place will also last and support us for the future.

You have built your Fanbase year on year but there will be a limit somewhere.

Biggest test for the new fans will be when you reach a level where your don’t more or less win every week like what has been happening.

Hopefully most will stick by you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bit of a stalemate yesterday , Montrose by far better team first half but not much football by either team to be fair , Kelty got a bit more into it second half but again not a lot of football on offer , lots of niggly fouling by both teams 

Hope Higgy is ok as key to our team this season , probably wouldn’t of minded going out yesterday to Montrose as it’s going to be another slugfest up there and hopefully no injuries 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/11/2021 at 00:40, AlbionSaint said:

I'm seeing a lot of comments like this, and it's easily perceived as sour grapes. Is it a bad thing that people want to invest in a lower league Scottish club? Personally I think it's great. The only caveat being that the club need to become self-sustaining in the long-term, to avoid a repetition of Gretna if the money is suddenly pulled. 

There's no sour grapes merely just pointing it out for what it is. There is no sustainable model for Kelty long term as there crowds will never cover what they are currently paying in wages. 

I was talking about this with others at our game yesterday and it's not something I'd want at our club. Winning a league title at a canter in that Gretna/Kelty style just feels a little hollow and not organic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...