Kelty Hearts Thread

I don't understand what is remarkable about it.

You have had a larger budget than your opposition at every step of the process.

Remarkable is what Dick Campbell is doing at Arbroath with a fraction of the budget of his competitors. What's happening at Kelty is no more than routine.

42 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Remarkable is what Dick Campbell is doing at Arbroath with a fraction of the budget of his competitors. What's happening at Kelty is no more than routine.

The turnaround is remarkable. Driven by budget, no argument there, but for a fan who's been there from previous it's still remarkable to find ourselves in our current position.

On 21/11/2021 at 15:47, Neilly said:

Possibly the first time in my life, but have to agree with Neilly here.

The only thing remarkable about all of this is the amount of money that’s been thrown at a part time football team.

Anyone on here could manage Kelty to the title with the squad they have, in fact the players could do it themselves without a manager.

...but at least you are not bitter about any of this. Not so long ago there was a glass ceiling that stopped a club like Kelty from moving beyond this sort of level:

It will be a while before having a former junior club at the top of League Two feels normal rather than remarkable. There's more coming particularly from the west that won't need to be financially doped to make a significant impact in the lower divisions along with another, Darvel, who will be if the Killie pieman hangs around long enough.

47 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

...but at least you are not bitter about any of this. Not so long ago there was a glass ceiling that stopped a club like Kelty from moving beyond this sort of level:

It will be a while before having a former junior club at the top of League Two feels normal rather than remarkable. There's more coming particularly from the west that won't need to be financially doped to make a significant impact in the lower divisions along with another, Darvel, who will be if the Killie pieman hangs around long enough.

Don’t think they are being particularly bitter.

Just pointing out it was a shoe in with the squad they have.

If someone is happy to chuck a lot of money at a club then good luck to them.

Problems normally start to happen if the funding stops.

16 hours ago, big al said:

The only thing remarkable about all of this is the amount of money that’s been thrown at a part time football team.

Anyone on here could manage Kelty to the title with the squad they have, in fact the players could do it themselves without a manager.

Aye ok then 

15 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Not bitter here pal. Used to do work for Keltys money man, decent guy.

Wasnt a glass ceiling either, junior clubs chose to be junior.

People go on about the junior ‘giants’ joining the leagues as if it’s some kind of saviour for Scottish football. ‘It will push up the quality of football in this country’. 
Pish. It’s the same players, just signed for a different team.

On 25/11/2021 at 22:36, big al said:

I'm seeing a lot of comments like this, and it's easily perceived as sour grapes. Is it a bad thing that people want to invest in a lower league Scottish club? Personally I think it's great. The only caveat being that the club need to become self-sustaining in the long-term, to avoid a repetition of Gretna if the money is suddenly pulled. 

3 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

I'm seeing a lot of comments like this, and it's easily perceived as sour grapes. Is it a bad thing that people want to invest in a lower league Scottish club? Personally I think it's great. The only caveat being that the club need to become self-sustaining in the long-term, to avoid a repetition of Gretna if the money is suddenly pulled. 

Kelty, or more specifically their general manager, have said that they want to become self sustainable (to avoid a Gretna scenario).

it’s easy to do that, as long as they accept it’s not a level at which they are operating at just now. They don’t have the fan base for that, unless another benefactor appears.

7 hours ago, big al said:

...Wasnt a glass ceiling either, junior clubs chose to be junior.

People go on about the junior ‘giants’ joining the leagues as if it’s some kind of saviour for Scottish football. ‘It will push up the quality of football in this country’. 
Pish. It’s the same players, just signed for a different team.

The SFL operated as a cartel so don't see how that first bit can be justified. Don't think the second bit is true. There has always been significant overlap in quality at the top end of the juniors and the lower end of the national divisions that has meant that the overall standard of the elite part-time professional level has not been what it could have been. If a club like Auchinleck Talbot play their way into League Two by the end of next season they will probably have a significant number of players on board that would have opted for the west superleague five years ago.

8 hours ago, big al said:

Kelty, or more specifically their general manager, have said that they want to become self sustainable (to avoid a Gretna scenario).

it’s easy to do that, as long as they accept it’s not a level at which they are operating at just now. They don’t have the fan base for that, unless another benefactor appears.

Totally agree and have said many times before. Your level eventually will be dictated by your fanbase unless you have a steady stream of money men.

4 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Totally agree and have said many times before. Your level eventually will be dictated by your fanbase unless you have a steady stream of money men.

Wouldn't disagree with this. However if we can have few a highly successful years our fanbase will grow (as it has already by quite a bit) which will help in that drive to become more self sustainable. Facilities & infrastructure improvement in place will also last and support us for the future.

Edited by leomessi1984

3 hours ago, leomessi1984 said:

Wouldn't disagree with this. However if we can have few a highly successful years our fanbase will grow (as it has already by quite a bit) which will help in that drive to become more self sustainable. Facilities & infrastructure improvement in place will also last and support us for the future.

You have built your Fanbase year on year but there will be a limit somewhere.

Biggest test for the new fans will be when you reach a level where your don’t more or less win every week like what has been happening.

Hopefully most will stick by you.

Bit of a stalemate yesterday , Montrose by far better team first half but not much football by either team to be fair , Kelty got a bit more into it second half but again not a lot of football on offer , lots of niggly fouling by both teams 

Hope Higgy is ok as key to our team this season , probably wouldn’t of minded going out yesterday to Montrose as it’s going to be another slugfest up there and hopefully no injuries 

On 27/11/2021 at 00:40, AlbionSaint said:

There's no sour grapes merely just pointing it out for what it is. There is no sustainable model for Kelty long term as there crowds will never cover what they are currently paying in wages. 

I was talking about this with others at our game yesterday and it's not something I'd want at our club. Winning a league title at a canter in that Gretna/Kelty style just feels a little hollow and not organic.

2 minutes ago, Neilly said:

There's no sour grapes merely just pointing it out for what it is. There is no sustainable model for Kelty long term as there crowds will never cover what they are currently paying in wages. 

I was talking about this with others at our game yesterday and it's not something I'd want at our club. Winning a league title at a canter in that Gretna/Kelty style just feels a little hollow and not organic.

Our fan base is increasing every year - we have a fanbase and attendances that would put some L1 games to shame.

i see the point of sustainability brought up every week getting. I’d actually like to ask where you think KH are not sustainable? Just curious...

Your crowd against us last week was 571. How can you honestly say paying the likes of Forster, Cardle, Higgy, Austin, Tidser and so on is sustainable with that kind of crowd?

If you think it is then you operate from a different planet than I do, or certainly anyone who knows football at this level.

Kelty fans seem oblivious it's pretty bizarre stuff.