Kelty Hearts Thread

At the beginning of the season I wasn't sure which way things were going to go, and I said as much on here. We had a new, untested manager, some important players had moved on and we hadn't concluded our business with regards to transfers. I didn't feel we had the depth we'd need to compete and we were a bit light in key areas, in particular defence. It was also too early to tell whether the players we had picked up were of the required standard, for example up front where support and cover for Austin is crucial. 

The team is now complete and even up to this week we've continued to improve the squad. We've made some quality additions and where perhaps we might have been a bit light previously we now have good options across the squad. I've also had a chance to not only get a good look at Kelty, but the other teams in the league as well. 

All things considered, I'm as certain  as it's possible to be at this stage that we're going to win this league. After the start we've had, anything other than promotion would be disappointing and with the calibre we have we should be expecting to win the league. 

At the start of the season, I was intensely relaxed about what lay ahead and being honest I would have been happy to accept consolidation. At this stage though we should be looking to win the league and it will be some turn of events if that doesn't happen. 

With regards to Ferguson, we were top of the Lowland League when he took over and ultimately we didnt win the competition that year. He was given the resources required to win the league and he went on to fulfill that objective. Most Kelty supporters I'd expect would hold him in high regard because he's the man who got us to where we wanted to be and he carried himself well while he was here. As to whether he's a good manager however, it's possibly too early in his career to tell. I believe he's made a mistake in moving on when he did as back to back promotions wouldn't have done his CV any harm. He's gone to a club where success will be difficult to achieve, nobody would be surprised if they got promoted to the Championship and nobody would be surprised if they got relegated to League one. The only way in which his tenure would be considered a real success is if Alloa became an established team in the Championship, but at the moment I don't see that happening. Its not outwith the realm of possibility for Kelty to replace them in League One next year. You'd have to imagine he'd find it difficult to come back from that, so he's taken a big risk. 

On 02/10/2021 at 19:34, Kelheart said:

First quarter in and to say would’ve taken this amount of points at the start is an understatement, brilliant from all the team and management team , hope the next quarter is along the same lines , main thing was to consolidate in this league but just maybe we can start dreaming 😁😁

On todays game we should’ve had game wrapped up at halftime but there are no easy teams in this league and Annan played well 

Mon Kelty 

Behave. 
That’s the biggest pile of nonsense you have ever written on here. 
Stick in though, and keep the signings coming, you may just about getting to consolidate in this league yet. 

On 19/09/2021 at 18:15, tamthebam said:

The wee Kelty boys gave us City fans a good slagging a few weeks ago which we took in mostly good heart (they called one of our fans a specky paedo too. Which we agreed with :lol:)

When I think of Vic Kasule playing for Rovers all those years ago and facing racist abuse these fuckwits obviously don't know, or care, about their own club's history.

I witnessed that and to be fair it was hilarious, also the banter back was class , what it's all about

On 03/10/2021 at 10:04, KH4 said:

A very hard fought win yesterday. Kelty controlled the game and were the better team, but Annan made it difficult and as the second half progressed I felt a draw was the most likely result. 

Barron had an excellent game and he worked extremely hard. Agyeman is improving all the time and is showing real quality and composure when on the ball.

Finlayson didn't have a great game, a couple of times we looked a wee bit vulnerable down that flank. He was drawn out of position on occasion and when getting forward his movement wasn't always great. 

I'm really pleased to have played everyone and still be undefeated, and I've been impressed with what KT has delivered so far. I'm also really encouraged to have the best attendance in League Two, and we're ahead of 7 of the 10 teams in League One also. I did wonder how the lure of League football would play out in a village that's been part of the Junior set up for most of its history, and I wasn't sure whether the jump from Lowland League prices to League Two prices would put people off. Supporters are getting getting behind the team though, and there's a nice, positive atmosphere at NCP on matchdays. 

If you'd told me 10 years ago that Kelty would be in a League above Cowdenbeath and East Fife, and in the same League as Dunfermline I'd have thought you'd been on the wild mushrooms. As it happens though that scenario is a real possibility. 

Ross Philp should feel very hard done by, not 100% sure the manager is too keen on him but he never lets the team down and is consistently one of the best performers!!!

On 04/10/2021 at 12:33, KH4 said:

At the beginning of the season I wasn't sure which way things were going to go, and I said as much on here. We had a new, untested manager, some important players had moved on and we hadn't concluded our business with regards to transfers. I didn't feel we had the depth we'd need to compete and we were a bit light in key areas, in particular defence. It was also too early to tell whether the players we had picked up were of the required standard, for example up front where support and cover for Austin is crucial. 

The team is now complete and even up to this week we've continued to improve the squad. We've made some quality additions and where perhaps we might have been a bit light previously we now have good options across the squad. I've also had a chance to not only get a good look at Kelty, but the other teams in the league as well. 

All things considered, I'm as certain  as it's possible to be at this stage that we're going to win this league. After the start we've had, anything other than promotion would be disappointing and with the calibre we have we should be expecting to win the league. 

At the start of the season, I was intensely relaxed about what lay ahead and being honest I would have been happy to accept consolidation. At this stage though we should be looking to win the league and it will be some turn of events if that doesn't happen. 

With regards to Ferguson, we were top of the Lowland League when he took over and ultimately we didnt win the competition that year. He was given the resources required to win the league and he went on to fulfill that objective. Most Kelty supporters I'd expect would hold him in high regard because he's the man who got us to where we wanted to be and he carried himself well while he was here. As to whether he's a good manager however, it's possibly too early in his career to tell. I believe he's made a mistake in moving on when he did as back to back promotions wouldn't have done his CV any harm. He's gone to a club where success will be difficult to achieve, nobody would be surprised if they got promoted to the Championship and nobody would be surprised if they got relegated to League one. The only way in which his tenure would be considered a real success is if Alloa became an established team in the Championship, but at the moment I don't see that happening. Its not outwith the realm of possibility for Kelty to replace them in League One next year. You'd have to imagine he'd find it difficult to come back from that, so he's taken a big risk. 

You probably answered the question I was going to ask at the bottom in regards to Barry Ferguson. I thought he should have gave it a bash in League 2. Seems to be under major scrutiny at Alloa.

2 hours ago, Jackson Pollock said:

Ross Philp should feel very hard done by, not 100% sure the manager is too keen on him but he never lets the team down and is consistently one of the best performers!!!

The only survivor from Kelty's Junior days, a class player who can play in just about any position. My player of the season from the last campaign.

Having cover at the back will hopefully mean Philps being used in midfield more as I think that's where he's at his best. He's excellent at getting the ball out of our own half into the forward midfield area if we're struggling. I really like Philp but there's stiff competition in midfield now. I'm inclined to trust KTs judgement though. 

20 hours ago, Robert Forbes said:

The only survivor from Kelty's Junior days, a class player who can play in just about any position. My player of the season from the last campaign.

Ross started at Alloa when they were in League 1 so no doubt he can handle himself at this level. Probably would have been there for a while but for a very nasty injury in a game against Brechin City.

As a Clyde fan, I've found reading the recent comments about Kelty and Barry Ferguson's prowess (or lack thereof) as a manager.

His first season was an absolute failure as he overhauled Duffy's squad but signed players well below the level he wanted to be, both in terms of skill level and professionalism. He used sooo many different players and finished the season with Keigan Parker and Mark Roberts up top. His second season we faired better - he signed a better standard of player in the likes of Scott Linton, Chris Mitchell, Sean Higgins and Shug Murray and we made the play offs.

During his third and final season at Clyde, he was given the funds to cherry pick some of the best players from League 2 to finally get us out the league. Our starting lineup was great, we had the likes of Ewan McNeil, Jordan Lowden, Matty Flynn, JP McGovern, Peaso MacDonald and yer man Dylan Easton. We started brightly but Easton was injured after a few games and the arse well and truly fell out of the team. There was no plan B. Ferguson was initially persuaded not to resign but eventually only his quitting and the controversial signing of Goodwillie saved us from relegation.

I suppose my laboured point is that at Clyde, even with a decent backing, he was able to completely fail. At Kelty he would have had a much bigger budget than he would have ever had at Clyde and they were playing in an extremely poor league. To me, it seemed like he maybe jumped ship up to Alloa because in the back of his mind he knew that he failed in that league before and not winning it with Kelty with their budget would forever tarnish an already poor looking managerial CV. He probably should have stayed at Kelty and they would have skooshed the league anyway, but at least Alloa gives him a jump up the leagues and also the opportunity to say that his failure is due to reasons other than his poor management style. He's already started blaming the fans for poor performances.

19 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

As a Clyde fan, I've found reading the recent comments about Kelty and Barry Ferguson's prowess (or lack thereof) as a manager.

His first season was an absolute failure as he overhauled Duffy's squad but signed players well below the level he wanted to be, both in terms of skill level and professionalism. He used sooo many different players and finished the season with Keigan Parker and Mark Roberts up top. His second season we faired better - he signed a better standard of player in the likes of Scott Linton, Chris Mitchell, Sean Higgins and Shug Murray and we made the play offs.

During his third and final season at Clyde, he was given the funds to cherry pick some of the best players from League 2 to finally get us out the league. Our starting lineup was great, we had the likes of Ewan McNeil, Jordan Lowden, Matty Flynn, JP McGovern, Peaso MacDonald and yer man Dylan Easton. We started brightly but Easton was injured after a few games and the arse well and truly fell out of the team. There was no plan B. Ferguson was initially persuaded not to resign but eventually only his quitting and the controversial signing of Goodwillie saved us from relegation.

I suppose my laboured point is that at Clyde, even with a decent backing, he was able to completely fail. At Kelty he would have had a much bigger budget than he would have ever had at Clyde and they were playing in an extremely poor league. To me, it seemed like he maybe jumped ship up to Alloa because in the back of his mind he knew that he failed in that league before and not winning it with Kelty with their budget would forever tarnish an already poor looking managerial CV. He probably should have stayed at Kelty and they would have skooshed the league anyway, but at least Alloa gives him a jump up the leagues and also the opportunity to say that his failure is due to reasons other than his poor management style. He's already started blaming the fans for poor performances.

We've had several Clyde fans give a very similar summary on his time there.  He'd clearly learned that he couldn't drive full time standards completely with boys who'd done a 10hr shift before training when he was with us.  He did lift the overall level of professionalism though and, although we were favourites for the league, it was delivered with us playing some delightful stuff.  I was disappointed when he left but it's been a blessing.  KT has us playing even better and has built a great team, bringing in younger players and adding serious pace to the teams play.  He's an upgrade on BF as a manager in my view.

On 07/10/2021 at 09:13, KH4 said:

Having cover at the back will hopefully mean Philps being used in midfield more as I think that's where he's at his best. He's excellent at getting the ball out of our own half into the forward midfield area if we're struggling. I really like Philp but there's stiff competition in midfield now. I'm inclined to trust KTs judgement though. 

Have to disagree about his best position being midfield, he's the best RB at the club and going by Saturdays match i dont feel any different.

2 hours ago, Jackson Pollock said:

Have to disagree about his best position being midfield, he's the best RB at the club and going by Saturdays match i dont feel any different.

We might move to a three with Finlayson joining O'Ware & Foster. Ross would be excellent at right wing back.

Edited by leomessi1984

Every team needs a Ross Philp , right back , midfield , up front not a problem and gives it his all no matter where he’s asked to play , personally think he’s better as a midfielder as he likes to drive forward through the middle instead of tippy tappy sideways passes , equally good at right back so win win for us