Time - Sean Bean & Stephen Graham

Adam

34 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Watching this weekly, as to binge-watch anything with Stephen Graham would be disrespectful, somehow. Really impressed - especially the depiction of life inside, which is the most realistic i've seen in a TV drama. The suddenness of violence, the mundane horror of self-harm, the shitebag bullying for the sake of it and the effect of a big delivery of PS were all accurate in their depiction. The switch from a settled wing with staff-prisoner conversations, pool games and the like to a complete war zone really does happen faster than the first body hitting the deck. 

I don't miss it. Impressed with the series so far, mind. Not least that 2/3 of the way in, Bean's character is still alive. Has he had to learn the whole script for a change?

Yes, I felt the depiction was excellent.  In fact the  old sugar in the kettle took me back to being first on scene for a lad that had that done and as you say the calmness before it all goes tits up is something you cannot believe would happen until it does.

I recall one time stepping onto the landing only for a pool baw to go whistling pasty heid as mayhem started.

The self harm aspect, the needless bullying etc was all spot on.

I really don't miss it, it's a horrible job and I don't know how some  officers can work in the galleries for their whole careers.

By the end of my time I felt completely done in with the violence, the use of illicit drugs etc,  the radio calls as yet again someone has taken stuff and is  unconscious.

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Yes, I felt the depiction was excellent.  In fact the  old sugar in the kettle took me back to being first on scene for a lad that had that done and as you say the calmness before it all goes tits up is something you cannot believe would happen until it does.

I recall one time stepping onto the landing only for a pool baw to go whistling pasty heid as mayhem started.

The self harm aspect, the needless bullying etc was all spot on.

I really don't miss it, it's a horrible job and I don't know how some  officers can work in the galleries for their whole careers.

By the end of my time I felt completely done in with the violence, the use of illicit drugs etc,  the radio calls as yet again someone has taken stuff and is  unconscious.

Yep, it's not a job that's good for your MH, that's for sure. Anxiety and stress levels off the scale, and you don't even notice because everybody -staff and cons - is is the same boat. I would probably have stayed in uniform until retirement, had health issues not forced a regrade. The difference is amazing - I am a lot more chilled, the wife and kids say I'm a nicer person*, and I sleep a lot easier and more regularly. 

I’m watching this on iplayer now. Just finishing episode 3 on iplayer after watching the first two episodes last night. I’ve never been in prison so I don’t know how accurate it is but it seems a well made programme.

End of episode 3 and there’s no ‘seems’ about it. Excellent programme making.

Edited by Scary Bear

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I'd add my tuppence to say that anyone who hasn't seen this yet really should make the time for it. Outstanding tv.

Magnificent writer & magnificent acting, my open anger at the Scouse irritant & that Jock arsehole from LoD makes you realise just how invested you become in disliking the negative characters.

18 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

Magnificent writer & magnificent acting, my open anger at the Scouse irritant & that Jock arsehole from LoD makes you realise just how invested you become in disliking the negative characters.

I always thought it must be harder to act a character that the viewers need to hate, because you have to much more into it almost to get you believing that they are indeed arseholes of the highest order

Like when bean loses his first phone call to that johnno, johnno could easily turn away and just blank sean bean, and wed think, p***k, but the smug look on his face, the way he just portrays a not giving a f**k about anyone else attitude makes you wanna thump him one lol

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

I always thought it must be harder to act a character that the viewers need to hate, because you have to much more into it almost to get you believing that they are indeed arseholes of the highest order

Like when bean loses his first phone call to that johnno, johnno could easily turn away and just blank sean bean, and wed think, p***k, but the smug look on his face, the way he just portrays a not giving a f**k about anyone else attitude makes you wanna thump him one lol

Brian McCardie is absolutely brilliant as an arsehole. He was great as Dougie Gillman in Filth as well

On 16/06/2021 at 08:13, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Watching this weekly, as to binge-watch anything with Stephen Graham would be disrespectful, somehow. Really impressed - especially the depiction of life inside, which is the most realistic i've seen in a TV drama. The suddenness of violence, the mundane horror of self-harm, the shitebag bullying for the sake of it and the effect of a big delivery of PS were all accurate in their depiction. The switch from a settled wing with staff-prisoner conversations, pool games and the like to a complete war zone really does happen faster than the first body hitting the deck. 

I don't miss it. Impressed with the series so far, mind. Not least that 2/3 of the way in, Bean's character is still alive. Has he had to learn the whole script for a change?

Sorry to put you on the spot WRK but how accurate did you find the programme overall? I have spoken to a couple of people at Bowhouse & they found it very accurate with the exception of how easy Stephen Grahams character got stuff on the wing, given that he was a known Vulnerable Person.

Sorry to put you on the spot WRK but how accurate did you find the programme overall? I have spoken to a couple of people at Bowhouse & they found it very accurate with the exception of how easy Stephen Grahams character got stuff on the wing, given that he was a known Vulnerable Person.
It was certainly the most accurate depiction I've seen, for the reasons I've previously posted. Mainly the banality and commonplace aspect of violence.

As for the contraband, I have spent my career in the High Security Estate, where you'd never be able to use that method in a million years. It was always a bit of a double take when visiting lower category prisons that you weren't wanded down, didn't have to go through the metal detector arch, and didn't have your kit through the x-ray machine. I would like to think, though, as the folk you've spoken to have mentioned, that Graham's character would have been identified as vulnerable early on. Unfortunately, I've seen people in that situation used as sacrificial goats in order to catch bigger fish, rather than given the support they needed.

This was a bloody excellent programme.  I've never really seen Sean Bean in many films/tv shows but he was absolutely phenomenal here.  The whole scene with the pool balls was tough to watch despite having plenty time to prepare for it!