What’s your gaming story?

Thorongil

Here’s mine. 

1985, my friend’s Spectrum 48k. Match Day. Booty. The Dizzy Games. 

Then over time an appalling Atari XE. Then a Sega Master System. Rocky, Alex Kidd, Castle of Illusion etc. 

Christmas 1991. Amiga 500+ Cartoon Classics pack. That was me for the next 5 years and a bit of Mega Drive. So many great Amiga games but the ones that stay with me to this day are the Monkey Island games and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. And of course Sensible Soccer and Champ Man. Italia was the first one I played. 

my son now loves all the old Lucasfilm adventures and plays them on Steam.

late teenage years it was PlayStation and PS2. Mostly with friends and beer and fags. 

PS3 and PS4 years as a grown up it’s just really been FIFA and PES. My son now uses the PS4 for Fortnite and I hardly get on. 

what’s your story?

ZX Spectrum 48k in 1982. Magic box of mystery for a toddler. Sunday afternoons I got a couple of hours with it plugged in to the TV in the living room. Then I stood on it by mistake and it stopped working...very much regrets. So it went back in its case until I rediscovered it in 1988 and...IT HAD HEALED! Got to use it in my bedroom on an old portable B&W TV. The sheer joy of picking up a (retrospectively awful) £2.99 football management game on a Saturday afternoon. Other kids at school seemed to have newer, shinier machines though, so I asked for one of those and in 1990 I randomly got...

An Atari ST and portable colour TV! Just, so much more advanced and colourful than the Speccy, and came with 20 free games. No sound though, unless...wow, it plays through the TV, not a tinny wee built-in speaker?! Madness. Many happy years spent trading games with folk all over the world, while also acquiring...

A Sega Megadrive in 1991! The computer magazines were raving about this new piece of wizardry for playing arcade games, so I got a paper round and saved up for a year. Marvellous piece of kit, although I was mainly scrabbling about in the discount bins for bargains for it. Sadly nicked off the back of a removal van in 1993. Around that time, somebody showed me their console playing Street Fighter II, which was amazing, so I got together the cash to buy...

A second-hand Super Nintendo! Once again, scrabbling about for discount games, but by that point there seemed to be more decent ones at low prices than on the Megadrive. And that was about that until 1996, when it was obvious that the PC had become the platform for playing games and a million other things too, so I got myself a shitty old 386 machine, learned how to use it, then sold the Atari ST and SNES to build a new Pentium 75MHz that was capable of playing the games of almost every other platform up to that point. And it's been PC all the way ever since.

It's mind-melting to think about how much free time I had to play games when I was a wean  :wacko:

Game Boy

Game Boy Advance 

PS1

PS2

XBOX 360

PS4 

PS5

I'm a very adventurous gamer as you can see. My Granny gave me a SNES when I had a PS1, I enjoyed it a lot but one summer when everyone on the street was playing with toy guns and I didn't have one I went and cut off the gun you would use for duck hunt. I was close to getting a Wii back in the day but thankfully I didn't bother in the end. 

ETA - GBA probably actually came after the PS1. 

Edited by Stormzy

Obviously not in year order, as I can't be bothered looking them all up.

Sega Mega Drive

Game Boy

Game Boy Colour

Game Boy Advance

Wii

PS1

PS2

PS3

PS4

PS5

PSP

SNES (Classic/remake)

RG350 (Handheld emulator)

Atari 2600

Various Pong Computers

Commodore 16

Master System

ZX Spectrum

Mega Drive / Game Boy

PC

PlayStation / N64

PlayStation 2 / Xbox / Gamecube / Game Boy Advance / PSP

PlayStation 3 / Xbox 360 / Wii / DS / Vita

PlayStation 4 / 3DS

ZX Spectrum in the early 90s that had been at my grannys house for years. It was so sensitive that you couldn't sit down at the desk waiting for it to load the cassette because if you nudged the desk even slightly, the load would fail!

That thing taught me word processing and code writing too at a very early age, but too young to actually do anything of interest with it, other than being the best in my Primary school class at programming the "turtle" on the BBC Acorn/Logo whatever it was

Got a Sega Master System after that, since I was just in love with Sonic the Hedgehog, followed by a Mega-Drive II, then a Saturn and then a PS1, PS2, Xbox360, PS3 and now any gaming I do is on PC emulators of the above mentioned machines as I haven't really enjoyed anything since COD:MW2 haha

Consoles as follows
Master system
Mega Drive
PS1
PS2
PS3
PS4
PS5 [emoji3059]

Hard to choose a favourite console, all of them brilliant in their own way. Apart from PES on the ps3, that was heart breakingly bad.

Also played Dungeon Keeper 2 and most of the champ manager/football manager games on PC.

Had a game boy colour at one point with all the pokemon games, including at the time the yellow game which you could only get abroad.

46 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Consoles as follows
Master system
Mega Drive
PS1
PS2
PS3
PS4
PS5 emoji3059.png

Hard to choose a favourite console, all of them brilliant in their own way. Apart from PES on the ps3, that was heart breakingly bad.

Also played Dungeon Keeper 2 and most of the champ manager/football manager games on PC.

Had a game boy colour at one point with all the pokemon games, including at the time the yellow game which you could only get abroad.

PES on the PS3 was excruciating. Tried it once on PS4 before crossing the floor to FIFA.

PES on the PS3 was excruciating. Tried it once on PS4 before crossing the floor to FIFA.
I think I've committed a cardinal sin. I forgot you get hung for calling it PES on here, its Pro Evo haha.

Aye it just didn't take to the next gen and was broken for quite a while. Hope it's good on the ps5 they have been building the game for over a year in preparation for the ps5.

Commodore 16 in 1984/85, maybe 86!
Commodore 64C
Amiga
PC
N64
PS One
PS 2
Dreamcast
Gamecube
DS
3DS
Wii
Wii-u
Xbox 360
PS4
Switch

Not in exact order.

Currently trying to obtain all of the systems I once owned. I still have an amiga and everything after Dreamcast on the list but really want to get my hands on a C16 or C64.

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Commodore 16 in 1984/85, maybe 86!
Commodore 64C
Amiga
PC
N64
PS One
PS 2
Dreamcast
Gamecube
DS
3DS
Wii
Wii-u
Xbox 360
PS4
Switch

Not in exact order.

Currently trying to obtain all of the systems I once owned. I still have an amiga and everything after Dreamcast on the list but really want to get my hands on a C16 or C64.

I would pay good money for a really good retro console type thing full of Amiga games. 

the failure of the CD32 was a tragedy.