The lower league education thread - Topic 1 - Major Trophies

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

They also regularly sing a song containing the words "black b******s".

This is sadly still a pan-ayrshire thing, even the good bits with a coastline. It is astonishingly difficult to get people to stop using language that they personally think is innocuous.

1 hour ago, Dougie Mills said:

Rugby Park has got nicer toilets if I recall correctly from my last visit.

There are frequently seats on even the gents these days at Somerset. Also, owing to lax enforcement on the terraces, Somerset is probably the only ground in Scotland where there is less smoking in the toilets than in the stands.

Edited by Thumper

Ayr is a far better day out than Kilmarnock...direct train from Paisley, better stadium, chips n curry sauce from the van at the top of the terrace, cheaper to get in and in my 45+ years of watching Saints play there we've rarely lost.

Edited by Arch Stanton

They also regularly sing a song containing the words "black b******s".
Everyone on Ayrshire knows this is in relation to a preserved lack of cleanliness not skin colour but I agree it can be taken the wrong way and we should not be singing it in this day and age.

How does Scottish Football League Champions in perpetuity sound?
Throw in a Scottish Cup, a Scottish League Cup and, for a bit of fun, add in Tennents’ Sixes Champions in perpetuity.

This. The real skill is in winning competitions that will never be competed for again.

4 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

This. The real skill is in winning competitions that will never be competed for again.

I am a proud supporter of Greenock Morton who have retained the Renfrewshire Football League for 136 years. St. Mirren can't even manage 2nd place. 

4 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I am a proud supporter of Greenock Morton who have retained the Renfrewshire Football League for 136 years. St. Mirren can't even manage 2nd place. 

No surprise whatsoever that a Morton fan is a expert on a lower league thread.

1 hour ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Once the Maryhill Magyars have their hands on a trophy, anyone else is a step down, so they just stop the game. 

2 hours ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Kilmarnock usually insist by adding the trophy to their list of assets and refusing to compete for it again.

If you don't like it then why not poach everyone else's managers and players and get yourself promoted back up with the big boys?

[touches earpiece]

Oh apparently you tried that, and got fucking relegated again?

I have a feeling this season is going to be a good one, based on this thread alone. 

The Jambos were always going to go up last season, but I don’t think Killie can be as confident.

Judging by the early days of this thread, there are going to be some golden P&B moments as the season goes on.

It is good to have Killie in the league!

2B233581-A212-4C2C-8083-710BADBC6DF5.gif

On 08/06/2021 at 17:55, Thumper said:

There are frequently seats on even the gents these days at Somerset. Also, owing to lax enforcement on the terraces, Somerset is probably the only ground in Scotland where there is less smoking in the toilets than in the stands.

When people talk about the toilets at Somerset, they're probably talking about the toilets in the away end.

Back years ago, but still recent enough that I remember (I'm 33 this year), the gents was literally 2 concrete drains in that wee bit between the turnstiles with a bit of copper pipe running across it that dripped water. The "ladies" was just a steward letting people into the gymnasium to use the toilet at the back.

They've been "upgraded" for a couple of years now and a stainless steel trough with a proper timed flusher and a sink at one side IIRC. There's also 2 portaloos there permanently for those who prefer to sit down to pee, but a capacity-ish crowd (like when Killie came for the league cup and when the Rangers tribute act came there's just not enough.

Watched a Rangers fan getting arrested for trying to start fights with a couple of other fans and the coppers had him face down on the ground against the gymnasium wall, where a couple of minutes earlier some of his fellow "Berrs" had just been relieving themselves because the queue for the toilets was so big

9 hours ago, Thumper said:

If you don't like it then why not poach everyone else's managers and players and get yourself promoted back up with the big boys?

[touches earpiece]

Oh apparently you tried that, and got fucking relegated again?

🤣 one manager, and (I think) one player, then got demoted due to a stitch-up (although I always said we should just take it as we WERE shite).

Not that you're bothered...

And I KNOW that you actually did 'touch your earpiece' whilst typing that!