What’s your internet speed?

Interested to see what people are getting as have been advised we are finally getting FTTP in December. 

Right now I use EE4G home broadband. Average speed is 48 down and 6 up. It does the job. 

should get 900 down when we finally get FTTP.

1 hour ago, Thorongil said:

Interested to see what people are getting as have been advised we are finally getting FTTP in December. 

Right now I use EE4G home broadband. Average speed is 48 down and 6 up. It does the job. 

You also have to include the price.

I get about 40 down and 9 up fairly consistently with TalkTalk for £22/month.  Works fine even if there are three of us here streaming vids or Spotify.

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

You also have to include the price.

I get about 40 down and 9 up fairly consistently with TalkTalk for £22/month.  Works fine even if there are three of us here streaming vids or Spotify.

I currently pay £55 for unlimited. I have no landline and no wired access just now.

1 minute ago, Thorongil said:

God that’s bad. No Fibre I take it? You’d be better with a 4G router deal. It’s more expensive but makes the difference.

That's on a good day. I phoned sky to complain one day as I did that same test and got 0.25Mbps DOWNLOAD

We have been told fibre will be installed soon, and the BT guys were in the street a few weeks ago. 

Worst part is it technically is fibre, so whenever I call sky to ask about fibre broadband they say I already have it. The guy's usually pretty good when I say "maybe I do, but is there anything available that's a bit less... shit"

We had terrible broadband at our house when we moved in. If two people tried to stream content on two devices at the same time you'd get either terrible buffering or a picture so pixelated you couldn't see the ball when watching a game.

Thankfully we did eventually get option for fibre and its been (mostly) good since.

11537461652.png

Virgin are currently installing their cabling in our area so will be interesting to see if they offer any deals to join them.

18 hours ago, Thorongil said:

Reported for sectarianism.

Virgin 250mbps which is excellent on cable modem on the PC but the wifi is absolutely shite. Their routers are awful and I really need it replaced.

Virgin 250mbps which is excellent on cable modem on the PC but the wifi is absolutely shite. Their routers are awful and I really need it replaced.
Agree about their routers. The Wi-fi is terrible. I bought one of these as I had a blackspot in my bedroom and the difference is night & day. I now get the same speed in bedroom as I get with ethernet plugged into router. Picked one up for£50 new on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP-Link-RE650-AC2600-MU-MIMO-WiFi-Range-Extender-Wall-Plug-Dual-band-TPLink-MP-/124699133718?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

15 minutes ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Agree about their routers. The Wi-fi is terrible. I bought one of these as I had a blackspot in my bedroom and the difference is night & day. I now get the same speed in bedroom as I get with ethernet plugged into router. Picked one up for£50 new on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP-Link-RE650-AC2600-MU-MIMO-WiFi-Range-Extender-Wall-Plug-Dual-band-TPLink-MP-/124699133718?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

For your WiFi all you need are these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercusys-Extender-Seamless-Coverage-Parental/dp/B086TMF7VG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ac1200+mercusys&qid=1623093873&sprefix=ac1200+mer&sr=8-1

I have 3 of them dotted around the house. It’s not like the shitey extenders which have all different SSIDs, these are all on one network and your device transfers to the closest one instantly without you even noticing.

plug your router into one with Ethernet and then just place the others anywhere you like. I have the actual WiFi on my router turned off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercusys-Extender-Seamless-Coverage-Parental/dp/B086TMF7VG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ac1200+mercusys&qid=1623093873&sprefix=ac1200+mer&sr=8-1

I have 3 of them dotted around the house. It’s not like the shitey extenders which have all different SSIDs, these are all on one network and your device transfers to the closest one instantly without you even noticing.
plug your router into one with Ethernet and then just place the others anywhere you like. I have the actual WiFi on my router turned off.
Cheers. That one i bought does me fine. I get great wi-fi all throughout the house now.

Currently 200mb Virgin broadband at a cost of £25 a month. As has been said, their hubs are garbage so ive recently bought the TP Link Deco M5 mesh set as i need a bigger range due to building a pub in my back garden. These things are terrific. Getting 200mb speeds at the bottom of my garden which is about 20+ metres from the house

18 minutes ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:
24 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Cheers. That one i bought does me fine. I get great wi-fi all throughout the house now.

Yeah, sorry, I meant that for the other boy.

2 hours ago, Thorongil said:

I actually have a Netgear range extender but I think the thing is fucked after a power surge a couple of weeks ago because it barely works any more. I will have a look at these.

It's this one I've got and until recently it's generally been good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-EX2700/dp/B00NIUHAG6/ref=sr_1_4?crid=NCPV01SJHJWL&dchild=1&keywords=wifi+range+extender&qid=1623099353&sprefix=wifi+ra%2Ccomputers%2C167&sr=8-4

Actually no, edit to add it's not been good. The speeds are alright but I used to have to reset the fucking thing a few times a week anyway.

Edited by GiGi

42 minutes ago, GiGi said:

I actually have a Netgear range extender but I think the thing is fucked after a power surge a couple of weeks ago because it barely works any more. I will have a look at these.

It's this one I've got and until recently it's generally been good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-EX2700/dp/B00NIUHAG6/ref=sr_1_4?crid=NCPV01SJHJWL&dchild=1&keywords=wifi+range+extender&qid=1623099353&sprefix=wifi+ra%2Ccomputers%2C167&sr=8-4

Actually no, edit to add it's not been good. The speeds are alright but I used to have to reset the fucking thing a few times a week anyway.

Would definitely recommend the Mercusys mesh cubes. They have completely resolved all our WiFi problems.

• 2 months later...