Bonnyrigg Rose 2021-22

bravehearts dad

Well done Bonnyrigg. Not counting the City of Edinburgh you're the first Midlothian Scottish League Club since Penicuik in the 1920s. 

Enjoy the ride next season. What we Edinburgh City fans found was that there is a big step up from the Lowland League to even facing the weaker clubs. Some of our League winning squad who were expected to do well in League Two struggled while others who we thought might struggle stepped up and did well. Get in a couple of experienced League Two players and, while you'll be competing with us for them, a couple of good Hearts/Hibs youth loans and you should be OK. 

Your rough guide to the League (journeys are from Edinburgh): 
You'll have maybe played some of these teams over the years anyway: 
Dumbarton: Play at a fairly modern one stand ground. Grass pitch. The ground is near the train station and there's a direct train from Edinburgh. We went to The Stag's Head near the ground which was fine. There's a bowling club nearby too. Pies are ok. 
Annan: You can get the train to Carlisle and then from Carlisle to Annan station. Otherwise it's a drive down through Biggar to the M74 and then a 20 journey down a side road. Artificial pitch, a ground with a modern stand and a shed. Great social club. Annan fans are quite nice. The pie I had last night was good. There is a good chip shop in the town centre (about a 20 minute walk up the road) where Robert Burns wrote "The Deil's awa with the excise man"
Forfar: Bridies obviously. Easy enough trip up the M90/A90. Tidy little ground with an artificial pitch. Forfar fans are decent enough. We had a pint in the Osnabruck off the High Street which does a nice pint of Jarl although there is a fans' bar at the ground. 
Stenhousemuir: 20 minute walk from Larbert Train station or easy enough journey up the M9. Modern stand and covered shed. Artificial pitch. There is a small fans' bar under the stand. Soup and pies here which is good for a cold day. Stenny fans are generally passionate about their team.
Stranraer: It can be a long trip- we go M8 then through East Kilbride to Kilmarnock and down through Ayrshire. That A road can be clogged with lorries etc going to Cairnryan for the NI ferry. You can get a train from Glasgow Central but I'm not sure about the Saturday timetable. Quite a picturesque trip though. Stair Park has two stands, an old one and a big new one and a covered shed behind one of the goals. Grass pitch. I don't mind Stranraer, their fans seem nice enough. There are a couple of pubs in the town which isn't too far to walk from the ground and Stranraer's social club. Half time refreshments come from a burger van. 
Stirling Albion: Two stands at Forthbank but they tend to use only one. Grass pitch. It's a bit of a walk from Stirling train station but easy to get to if driving. They seem to have a new pie caterer and the pies were quite good. Stirling fans are a generally passionate lot as well (must be something in the Central Scotland water). I think there's a bar at the ground but I've never been in. 
Elgin City: A loooong way away but worth the trip. You can train it either Edinburgh-Aberdeen-Elgin or Edinburgh-Inverness-Elgin. Driving there you go up the A9 and cut across at Aviemore. Borough Briggs is my favourite L2 ground because it's a typical old fashioned ground that hasn't changed much over the years. Old stand and shed. Grass pitch. Stand side pie stall does pies, shed pie stall does chips. There's a bar under the stand. Elgin is a bit like Dunbar in that it has it's own microclimate so it can be blanket snow across Morayshire and Inverness and Borough Briggs will be untouched and playable. Elgin fans are nice enough. 
East Fife: I've only been here once in a midweek cup replay. The Soup was nice and kept me warm. If training it you'll have to get off at Kirkcaldy and get a bus to Methil. Modern one stand ground with artificial pitch. I think there's a fans bar there but I can't remember. 
Albion Rovers: Take the train to Coatdyke from Edinburgh and walk down the hill or drive up the M8 and turn off for Coatbridge. You can also take the A89 through Broxburn and Bathgate but it's longer. There is an old stand dating from the early 1920s and a small terrace behind one of the goals. The larger terrace on the other side is not used. Grass pitch. Pies ok. The nearby pub, Owen's, is decent. Rovers fans are passionate and can be quite witty too. 

Congrats, Bonnyrigg.

This does mean, though, that for the first time in quite some years I have not been to every current SPFL ground. Not sure right now whether to rectify this at the first opportunity or wait for it to happen organically.

Absolutely incredible to see a team from Midlothian make it to the heady heights of League Two. Huge congratulations to all involved at Bonnyrigg Rose.

Not a great game today, the work was all done at home last week, and I daresay Bonnyrigg had one eye on the cup final next weekend, certainly some of the substitutions seemed to have that in mind.

The greatest danger to Bonnyrigg today prove to be the tractor driver moving the tyres about at full time.

Exciting times ahead. League Cup draw only a few days away.

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Well done Bonnyrigg. Not counting the City of Edinburgh you're the first Midlothian Scottish League Club since Penicuik in the 1920s. 

Enjoy the ride next season. What we Edinburgh City fans found was that there is a big step up from the Lowland League to even facing the weaker clubs. Some of our League winning squad who were expected to do well in League Two struggled while others who we thought might struggle stepped up and did well. Get in a couple of experienced League Two players and, while you'll be competing with us for them, a couple of good Hearts/Hibs youth loans and you should be OK. 

Dumbarton: Play at a fairly modern one stand ground. Grass pitch. The ground is near the train station and there's a direct train from Edinburgh. We went to The Stag's Head near the ground which was fine. There's a bowling club nearby too. Pies are ok. 
Annan: You can get the train to Carlisle and then from Carlisle to Annan station. Otherwise it's a drive down through Biggar to the M74 and then a 20 journey down a side road. Artificial pitch, a ground with a modern stand and a shed. Great social club. Annan fans are quite nice. The pie I had last night was good. There is a good chip shop in the town centre (about a 20 minute walk up the road) where Robert Burns wrote "The Deil's awa with the excise man"
Forfar: Bridies obviously. Easy enough trip up the M90/A90. Tidy little ground with an artificial pitch. Forfar fans are decent enough. We had a pint in the Osnabruck off the High Street which does a nice pint of Jarl although there is a fans' bar at the ground. 
Stenhousemuir: 20 minute walk from Larbert Train station or easy enough journey up the M9. Modern stand and covered shed. Artificial pitch. There is a small fans' bar under the stand. Soup and pies here which is good for a cold day. Stenny fans are generally passionate about their team.
Stranraer: It can be a long trip- we go M8 then through East Kilbride to Kilmarnock and down through Ayrshire. That A road can be clogged with lorries etc going to Cairnryan for the NI ferry. You can get a train from Glasgow Central but I'm not sure about the Saturday timetable. Quite a picturesque trip though. Stair Park has two stands, an old one and a big new one and a covered shed behind one of the goals. Grass pitch. I don't mind Stranraer, their fans seem nice enough. There are a couple of pubs in the town which isn't too far to walk from the ground and Stranraer's social club. Half time refreshments come from a burger van. 
Stirling Albion: Two stands at Forthbank but they tend to use only one. Grass pitch. It's a bit of a walk from Stirling train station but easy to get to if driving. They seem to have a new pie caterer and the pies were quite good. Stirling fans are a generally passionate lot as well (must be something in the Central Scotland water). I think there's a bar at the ground but I've never been in. 
Elgin City: A loooong way away but worth the trip. You can train it either Edinburgh-Aberdeen-Elgin or Edinburgh-Inverness-Elgin. Driving there you go up the A9 and cut across at Aviemore. Borough Briggs is my favourite L2 ground because it's a typical old fashioned ground that hasn't changed much over the years. Old stand and shed. Grass pitch. Stand side pie stall does pies, shed pie stall does chips. There's a bar under the stand. Elgin is a bit like Dunbar in that it has it's own microclimate so it can be blanket snow across Morayshire and Inverness and Borough Briggs will be untouched and playable. Elgin fans are nice enough. 
East Fife: I've only been here once in a midweek cup replay. The Soup was nice and kept me warm. If training it you'll have to get off at Kirkcaldy and get a bus to Methil. Modern one stand ground with artificial pitch. I think there's a fans bar there but I can't remember. 
Albion Rovers: Take the train to Coatdyke from Edinburgh and walk down the hill or drive up the M8 and turn off for Coatbridge. You can also take the A89 through Broxburn and Bathgate but it's longer. There is an old stand dating from the early 1920s and a small terrace behind one of the goals. The larger terrace on the other side is not used. Grass pitch. Pies ok. The nearby pub, Owen's, is decent. Rovers fans are passionate and can be quite witty too. 

A very good post... but Penicuik have never played in the Scottish league...

Brilliant post, really good away day information.

1 hour ago, Oystercatcher said:

Well done bonnyrig. 

With the blue Brazil in the lowland league next season it's going to be even more difficult for East Kilbride to push for promotion.

At least we've got a cup final tomorrow to look forward to.

Despite no automatic promotion to the SPFL for the Highland/Lowland champions (which must be changed soon), the pyramid is achieving its' aims, albeit slowly.

Former SPFL clubs, East Stirlingshire, Berwick Rangers and Brechin City have yet to be crowned champions from Tier 6, and with the West champions joining the Lowland League, the task will get harder each year.  The promoted clubs, Cove, Kelty, and now Edinburgh City, have all won promotion to League One, which puts pressure on other existing SPFL Division Two clubs, like Albion, Elgin, and Stirling, to avoid the 'relegation' playoffs.

Congratulations to Bonnyrigg, and best wishes for next season.

Well done to Bonnyrigg. Could moan about a handful of refereeing decisions both last week and even today, but in reality no complaints about the result over the two legs. When we can’t manage a goal over 180 minutes, it’s hard to put up an argument.

Enjoy your weekend, hope the sore heads aren’t too bad tomorrow. 

5 minutes ago, sfha said:

A very good post... but Penicuik have never played in the Scottish league...

Aye, you're right. I must have been thinking of the East of Scotland League in Penicuik's case

An excellent post, thank you for this ground/supporters information.

Whilst I have been to Bonnyrigg's New Dundas Park, others may not have done so.  Perhaps you could include a summary of Bonnyrigg, in the same format as above ?

6 minutes ago, Robert James said:

An excellent post, thank you for this ground/supporters information.

Whilst I have been to Bonnyrigg's New Dundas Park, others may not have done so.  Perhaps you could include a summary of Bonnyrigg, in the same format as above ?

Well...okay 

Midlothian's Burgh of Culture can be reached by bus from the centre of Edinburgh, by train from Eskbank station (there's a cycle path you can walk along) or you go along the Edinburgh by pass and take the A7 until the turnover. Annan fans can come off the A702 through Penicuik and cut across- if older fans remember going to Whitehill Welfare then Bonnyrigg is just up the road.

New Dundas Park is near the centre of town. There is a smallish shed on one side and another smaller one behind one of the goals. There is grass terrace on one side but I think this will be developed. 

There is a grass pitch with a slope.

Apart from the excellent Social Club the only Bonnyrigg pub I've been in is the Masonic Club (big team found etc) but the pub next to the ground looks ok.

Bonnyrigg are doing a kebab pie otherwise the pie wasn't too bad. Years by Bonnyrigg's pies were the hottest in temperature in the East Juniors but neds burned down the hut.

I've only really gone to Bonnyrigg games as a neutral but the fans seem fine 

Fun fact: Big Tam Connery played briefly for Bonnyrigg and a signed letter wishing them well for the Junior Cup Final in 1968 was on show in the Social Club 

12 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Well done to Bonnyrigg. Could moan about a handful of refereeing decisions both last week and even today, but in reality no complaints about the result over the two legs. When we can’t manage a goal over 180 minutes, it’s hard to put up an argument.

Enjoy your weekend, hope the sore heads aren’t too bad tomorrow. 

Indeed the Rose were the better team over the 2 legs and a magnificent achievement for our club and congratulations to all involved in running the club. I enjoyed my day and evening. Took a while to get out of Cowdenbeath with all the traffic but it was a happy journey back to Bonnyrigg and it was a great night in the town.

Well done The Rose 🌹🌹🌹