Bonnyrigg Rose 2021-22

bravehearts dad

Some Rose fans may get in cos as we know they don’t have any fans. Don’t think I’ll risk the journey. Is there any chance of The Rose streaming it?
C’mon The Rose [emoji257][emoji257][emoji257]
We have hit the 100 limit or thereabouts the last home games. Could well be streamed on Braves app but not seen anything about that yet, sure the Stirling uni game was streamed. Hopefully be a good game. [emoji106]

Heads up for anyone travelling to Firhill tonight. There’s roadworks on the M8 Westbound at the city centre stretch which slows traffic but on top of that tonight Rangers are playing a Champions League match at Ibrox so traffic will be much heavier. The roadworks also closed the Dumbarton turn off so take the Aberfoyle one. All combined you’ll probably need another 15 mins. 

Enjoy the game.

10 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Heads up for anyone travelling to Firhill tonight. There’s roadworks on the M8 Westbound at the city centre stretch which slows traffic but on top of that tonight Rangers are playing a Champions League match at Ibrox so traffic will be much heavier. The roadworks also closed the Dumbarton turn off so take the Aberfoyle one. All combined you’ll probably need another 15 mins. 

Enjoy the game.

This was good advice it seems 

So back to bread and butter League business today after the valiant effort of Tuesday at Firrhill, where I thought we played well denied a stonewall penalty which would have won us the game. Nathan Evans looks like a valuable addition to the squad.

A chance today to give players some valuable game time and hopefully increase our goals scored column. A good victory would help confidence before the 2 difficult away games coming up next week.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

Enjoyed the game yesterday although it was pretty one sided. In keeping with the last few seasons good goals from all over the park. The team will take a lot of confidence from the performance for the 2 tough games this week.

From the neutral point of view you have to fear for the students and their final position in the League at the end of the season, they and VoL could be well isolated at the end of the season.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

23 hours ago, bravehearts dad said:

Enjoyed the game yesterday although it was pretty one sided. In keeping with the last few seasons good goals from all over the park. The team will take a lot of confidence from the performance for the 2 tough games this week.

From the neutral point of view you have to fear for the students and their final position in the League at the end of the season, they and VoL could be well isolated at the end of the season.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

Enjoyed the game too... though it was rather men against boys! Rose were never going to concede a goal, let alone lose.

I've watched the Uni 3 times this season, and their best performance to date was in a 3-3 draw in a pre-season friendly at Musselburgh. They play neat football but really lack any cutting edge up front... I guess they are more out of the old Corinthian mould than (for example) Stirling Uni!

Which is OK, but when you consider the excellent facilities at Peffermill, and the sheer size of Edinburgh Uni as an institution, might be seen as underachieving somewhat. But then for lots of reasons we don't have the sort of sporting ethos in this country where students are encouraged to buy into supporting their own Uni's teams: here, it's basically about taking part (great, if you can!) and... very little else. There's no attempt made (at least, not that I have seen) to drum up significant regular support, and to a sizeable proportion of the student body (especially those from overseas) that might seem a bit strange. Or maybe not...

I suspect the Uni will just scrape enough points to stay up this season, provided they can avoid defeat to VoL. Some achievement! But unless there is a radical shift in the way the club is structured/funded (even by simply establishing an adequate number of sports scholarships, for example) there's only one way they are headed. The Lowland League's disgracefully self-interested attitude to increasing the number relegation places will only save them (and quite a few others) for so long.

Attendance on Saturday? I guessed around 350-400? But could have been more.

Good luck for the rest of the season!

The University get a lot of kudos from me for voting against admission of the OF Colts into the Lowland League. It may also be a problem for you playing games and fielding teams before the intake of new students for the new academic year in September. I also wish you good luck for the rest of the season.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

8 hours ago, Edinburgh Hatter said:

Enjoyed the game too... though it was rather men against boys! Rose were never going to concede a goal, let alone lose.

I've watched the Uni 3 times this season, and their best performance to date was in a 3-3 draw in a pre-season friendly at Musselburgh. They play neat football but really lack any cutting edge up front... I guess they are more out of the old Corinthian mould than (for example) Stirling Uni!

Which is OK, but when you consider the excellent facilities at Peffermill, and the sheer size of Edinburgh Uni as an institution, might be seen as underachieving somewhat. But then for lots of reasons we don't have the sort of sporting ethos in this country where students are encouraged to buy into supporting their own Uni's teams: here, it's basically about taking part (great, if you can!) and... very little else. There's no attempt made (at least, not that I have seen) to drum up significant regular support, and to a sizeable proportion of the student body (especially those from overseas) that might seem a bit strange. Or maybe not...

I suspect the Uni will just scrape enough points to stay up this season, provided they can avoid defeat to VoL. Some achievement! But unless there is a radical shift in the way the club is structured/funded (even by simply establishing an adequate number of sports scholarships, for example) there's only one way they are headed. The Lowland League's disgracefully self-interested attitude to increasing the number relegation places will only save them (and quite a few others) for so long.

Attendance on Saturday? I guessed around 350-400? But could have been more.

Good luck for the rest of the season!

Excellent summary on the Uni teams overall.  Many of my friends ended up in the Edinburgh team that played Cowden in the Scottish about twelve(ish) years back and they were lucky then with many ex pro's landing in the population at that time.  It's almost pot luck to an extent for them.  Their Manager is very capable and played at a good level but likely the EOS beckons in the near future.

6 hours ago, bravehearts dad said:

The University get a lot of kudos from me for voting against admission of the OF Colts into the Lowland League. It may also be a problem for you playing games and fielding teams before the intake of new students for the new academic year in September. I also wish you good luck for the rest of the season.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

Yes, good to see the Uni along with yourselves "doing the right thing" re the OF Colts.👍

You're maybe right about the Uni not having the full student intake to pick from yet, but I'm not sure it would really be that much of a game changer... the Uni didn't pull up any trees last year either, as I recall. I suspect that (with the model the club operates under) they'll find their appropriate level sooner rather than later. Hopefully, that'll be in the EOS Premier, but I'd not risk my bijou residence on it...

From the games I've seen over the last couple of seasons, there are at least 3 or 4 teams currently in the EOS Premier who would be able to hold their own in the  Lowland League, and you can probably add another 5 or 6 from the WOS Premier, who are possibly even stronger. As things stand, just ONE of these teams MAY get promoted to the Lowland this season. At that rate, it might take a decade to sort out those Lowland teams who are currently playing at a level which is arguably some way above their merits. To put it kindly.

But I suspect we may not have seen the end of the tinkering yet... more SPFL teams will be looking favourably at the Colts idea, and the creation of a Lowland 2, in part to accommodate them, may not be far away.

We live in interesting times!🤔

Bonnyrigg with a good start to the season, though looking at the league table, it looks like lots of teams are in with a shout of winning the league this season.

Very early doors, but I wonder how The Rose fans think Nathan Evans will do this season. Started off, with great guns at Musselburgh in the first few games, so delighted Nathan has moved up a league, going to a great club. With Hunter in the team, do you think Nathan will be able to work his way into the starting 11, or will this be a challenge for him?

Phew what a game and result last night. Thought we played well after the dramatics of the afternoon, but fair play to those who were able to play and put on a great performance. Big Kieron maintaining his reputation of tormenting ES all over the park and on the spot to score the only goal of the game.

We hope that the virus spreads no further amongst the squad and onward to Bo’ness on Saturday.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

First off well done on the win Bonnyrigg. Thought BU deserved a point at least though. A much improved performance from us. 

Credit where it’s due for that 2nd Rose goal from Lewis-the-roaster-Turner though: Absolute screamer. 

Speaking of screamers - To the rid hoat Bonnyrigg fan in the black jacket and grey shorts who ran screaming down the terrace having a shrieking tantrum at the ref and a BU player with 5 minutes to go… You don’t get free kicks for YOUR player diving headering the ball and colliding with an opposition player in the process! 😂

20 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

First off well done on the win Bonnyrigg. Thought BU deserved a point at least though. A much improved performance from us. 

Credit where it’s due for that 2nd Rose goal from Lewis-the-roaster-Turner though: Absolute screamer. 

Speaking of screamers - To the rid hoat Bonnyrigg fan in the black jacket and grey shorts who ran screaming down the terrace having a shrieking tantrum at the ref and a BU player with 5 minutes to go… You don’t get free kicks for YOUR player diving headering the ball and colliding with an opposition player in the process! 😂

He swears it's worked in the past...😄

The fire wasn’t burning fully yesterday. The University of Stirling always give us a good game and yesterday was no exception. Two text book headers from McGachie and Kieran Hall scoring the third against his old mates. We still had a few players absent yesterday and had the bonus of Mark Weir back on the bench.
That’s us gone 10 games into the season before the end of August and sitting in first place so I’ll take that. Now head into Autumn and possible heavy pitches, although a lot of the grounds in this League have artificial pitches.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

2 hours ago, bravehearts dad said:

The fire wasn’t burning fully yesterday. The University of Stirling always give us a good game and yesterday was no exception. Two text book headers from McGachie and Kieran Hall scoring the third against his old mates. We still had a few players absent yesterday and had the bonus of Mark Weir back on the bench.
That’s us gone 10 games into the season before the end of August and sitting in first place so I’ll take that. Now head into Autumn and possible heavy pitches, although a lot of the grounds in this League have artificial pitches.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

Thought I saw that Alasdair Adams signed for Bonnryigg at start of season, so I assumed he’d joined as Mark Weir had left the club? So, is Ally injured or has he left the club. Also see Andrews got man of the match award yesterday. Great effort, after being reserve to Weir in recent times. 

10 hours ago, Crow said:

Another 3 points today and what a crowd 👍.

In the end a hard fought for 3pts. Thought that the visitors may just have shaded the first half and we got a good break for the opening goal. We came out with a better attitude in the second half and got a well taken second goal , I thought the Berwick heads seemed to drop after that and the third goal eventually sealed the deal. Another great crowd at NDP and the likelihood of an even bigger crowd next Saturday for a team we have never played before come visiting.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

On 29/08/2021 at 12:22, Casey Jones said:

Thought I saw that Alasdair Adams signed for Bonnryigg at start of season, so I assumed he’d joined as Mark Weir had left the club? So, is Ally injured or has he left the club. Also see Andrews got man of the match award yesterday. Great effort, after being reserve to Weir in recent times. 

I heard (yeah I know) Ally adams had a bit of a howler, got nipped about it and stonked off in the huff.  Dont think he's around any more.

Michael Andrews just did as always and stepped in to hold the fort when called upon.

He's barely put a foot wrong since as well.  I cant see Mark weir getting back in, in the short term unless Mikey chucks a couple in!  

2 hours ago, oldandround said:

I heard (yeah I know) Ally adams had a bit of a howler, got nipped about it and stonked off in the huff.  Dont think he's around any more.

Michael Andrews just did as always and stepped in to hold the fort when called upon.

He's barely put a foot wrong since as well.  I cant see Mark weir getting back in, in the short term unless Mikey chucks a couple in!  

Thank you for that. Good to see Michael back at no.1. Having been replaced by Mark 2-3 seasons ago, his patience, with staying at Bonnyrigg seems to have been rewarded 👍