The Hamilton Academical Thread

5 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

First ten minutes I feared the worst, it was all Stranraer. Accies looked good going forward 2nd half, could’ve scored more. Looked very shaky in defence and the 2 pens conceded are a concern. Still, thoroughly enjoyable night out.

This pretty much.  

I don't see either team keeping many clean sheets based on last night.  Accies could easily have hit double figures while Stranraer made Fulton pull off a few good saves to stop them scoring 4 or 5.  Great stuff for the neutral but maybe not so much for the home and away defence coaches (if they have them and it seems not!)

When I go to lower league matches I like to do my pretend scout thing and look for the player that could maybe step up a level and for me that was Matthew Shiels.  He doesn't even have a wikipedia page but I thought he looked good even earlier in the match when Accies were pub teaming it.  Accies seemed a lot weaker down the right hand side of the team in general.

EDIT - How fat was Liam Watt!  He had an arse like a middle aged mother.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

The consensus on One was pretty negative before the actual season started, but that was a fun cameo from him tonight. Still a lot to learn, but possessing his physical attributes and confidence at such a young age is promising. Hopefully don't overplay him though.

Also good to see Newbury get his debut - much sooner than I expected - but it was quite funny that he's at least a full head smaller than Owens.

Shiels' diagonal runs are gonna get him about 20 goals this season imo. Winter's two good finishes are a promising sign too. Would love a proper breakthrough season from him.

On 16/07/2022 at 16:58, Patrick Bateman said:

I know it was only Forfar, but got to be happy with that.

3 goals and a clean sheet.

Very interested to see how we play against QP next week.

Accies turning into a competent football team what not part of the plan. 

Surprised to read that Adam McGowan scored for the reserves last night as I assumed he would've been in the first team squads if fit. With Nicolson now released, that's the two youths who Taylor pushed the most now somewhat sidelined.

8 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Surprised to read that Adam McGowan scored for the reserves last night as I assumed he would've been in the first team squads if fit. With Nicolson now released, that's the two youths who Taylor pushed the most now somewhat sidelined.

Think it was more a U18s team rather than reserves Fergus Owens and Ryan One who've been included in the first team this season were included that game as well. Tbf I don't know if we will see much of McGowan this year will we even play with wingers most games? 

56 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Jury's out on Rankin. Doesn't help when your back five make as many mistakes as they did, but some really bad tactical issues too.

Easton And Want are dreadful we desperately need 2 center half's another Keeper a Stirker and maybe a midfielder as well

I’m assuming that was going to be close to our team that starts the season which is disappointing to see Ngandu drop out he definetly has something about him.

Very poor result today tbh agree with accies1874 as always, didn’t get the everyone shooting their loads about Rankin been given the job. Obviously I’m willing to give him time but not great so far.

Cheesered to see winter doing so well hope he can keep it going and stay injury free this season.

To the surprise of absolutely no one, the 'two in before Queen's Park' turned out to be a load of shite.

Thought we were decent in the first half. We inevitably fell away as the second half wore on, which is now a worrying trend under the last few managers. I said to my friend that we looked certain to concede as we start to sit deeper and deeper and treat the ball like a hot potato. And so it came to pass. We seem to lose all ability to retain any sort of possession and resort to punts up to a clearly knackered Ryan to chase.

I'm not at the doom and gloom stage that most seem to be but if things don't change before the transfer window closes then I'll start to worry.

I dont think things are as bleak as what some Accies fans would want you to believe. There's obviously reasons driving that, but that's a well worn out topic.

I think its obvious to everyone we need players in to add to what we have, but we need to add the right type of players. Currently I think our squad is simply too young and inexperienced to play consistently over 90 minutes. So I think bringing in younger players would be pointless and we need to target experience.

As for Rankin as manager, well so far I think he's done OK, more promising than our previous 3 managers and imo the best we can get. Cause I certainly don't what to jump on the manager merry-go-round and get someone like John Hughes which would in no way help us progress.

Supposedly a couple of players were at the game yesterday, one of whom has been on trial, but I didn't see them and it could've been a coincidence anyway. Efe Ambrose and Djorkaeff formerly of St Mirren.

55 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Djorkaeff formerly of St Mirren.

Ah, shit. Guaranteed you sign him and he takes on the Templeton role and carries you all season.

I saw a couple of people who certainly looked like footballers hanging around the dugouts pre match. I later noticed them in the 'posh' seats during the game. One of them did resemble Djorkaeff going by a quick google search.

6 hours ago, Laid-back Accie said:

As for Rankin as manager, well so far I think he's done OK, more promising than our previous 3 managers and imo the best we can get. Cause I certainly don't what to jump on the manager merry-go-round and get someone like John Hughes which would in no way help us progress.

Canning was a much superior choice. While Rice done ok in when taking over and in his first season but absolutely bombed the relegation season and there after.

both much better managers.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

42 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Canning was a much superior choice. While Rice done ok in when taking over and in his first season but absolutely bombed the relegation season and there after.

both much better managers.

giphy.gif.b6296ee969a0fc5b36b1beced770d43d.gif

Canning kept us up in the Premiership, what, three times ( obviously not counting his first half season).  He had some nightmares but we had some good times under him, especially the first few months of 15/16. Dundee Utd 4-0 and Hearts 3-2 were particularly enjoyable and he also got a 2-0 win at Ibrox. Managing us in the Prem, you're always going to lose far more than you win. I fear these will be halcyon days pretty soon. I fear for us this season. Can we do better than four home wins?