The Hamilton Academical Thread

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:
On 23/06/2022 at 12:25, accies1874 said:
Yeah both academy players. I saw One (winger) and Newbury (CB + DM) once for the u18s - liked the look of Newbury but One was shite. Hard to make any judgements after one game though.

Latona was a standout but he's still 15 I think. Apparently Forsyth (also 15) is another to look out for.

Latona, Forsyth and Newbury on the bench for the Larkhall game. Presumably One will be in the squad for Newmains.

Sam Spence number 2 against Larkhall. Is it to be assumed we have our first actual academy right back since Tony Stevenson?

Latona, Forsyth and Newbury on the bench for the Larkhall game. Presumably One will be in the squad for Newmains.
Club have also said some players could feature in both games.

Unless they come on & play the full 2nd half some of the young guys on the bench might be on the bench for Newmains too.

I come in peace lads.
What is the end game of this McGowan tart?
A club that in recent history has produced valuable talent and enjoyed lengthy stays in the top division, does he just have absolutely no clue what he is doing, or is there something more sinister at work?

3 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

A club that in recent history has produced valuable talent

Have they tho'? Or do they still have this reputation because of a "golden generation" that produced McCarthy and McArthur over a decade ago? Since then the only players they've produced to go to bigger clubs are Stephen Hendrie, Michael Devlin and Greg Docherty. 

8 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Have they tho'? Or do they still have this reputation because of a "golden generation" that produced McCarthy and McArthur over a decade ago? Since then the only players they've produced to go to bigger clubs are Stephen Hendrie, Michael Devlin and Greg Docherty. 

‘Only’ and you then go on to list another 3 players which we are responsible for developing. One of which has got 3 Scotland caps, one went straight to a Barclays team and one who would probably be playing at a higher level if not for falling in to the old firm trap.

Thats before you mention Brophy who has also played for Scotland and Lewis Ferguson who came through our system making his senior debut before going on to Aberdeen and playing for Scotland. Even Scott McMann will be lining up for a team in Europe this season.

But no it’s defo because of McCarthy and McArthur coming through with us over 10 years ago x

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

20 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Easton appears for the Newmains game. Trialist 3 I assume will still be Michael Doyle?

Who are Meechan, Black, Lyons, Morgan & Forsyth @accies1874 and why have I never hear of any of these youths before?

Forsyth apparently scored a peach at Larkhall. Only 15 so won't be anywhere near the 1st team.

Forsyth apparently scored a peach at Larkhall. Only 15 so won't be anywhere near the 1st team.
He did, cut in & put one in the top corner from just outside the box.

Finished 4-0 and 9-0.

I'm firmly in the camp of 'pre season results mean f**k all' (especially given the level of opposition) but encouraging to hear some of the young boys played well.

Hopefully the trialists are worth another couple of looks.

10 from Larkhall (ex Coventry youth, can't remember his name) is promising and is apparently good in training. 11 (Simmonds) wasn't great. Not really sure about Doyle.

Forsyth and Latona are nice technical players who are worth keeping an eye on but it's obvs hard to predict when they're that young, especially when built like Latona. If Newbury develops physically then we've got a promising CB - he's so much like Jamie Hamilton (who was at Newmains but I'd be surprised if he stays). Those are the three to watch imo, although Pirrie (?) was quite exciting. Still not seeing it with McGinn but he's apparently a good prospect.

Larkhall tactics were much like Taylor's with Martin or Mimnaugh dropping to make a back three, Spence pushed up on right and McGowan inside. First half of Newmains was like watching Scotland in 3-4-3 with Shiels as our Tierney. Steve Lawson played at CB at one point against Newmains which I hope was just working around who's available.

Did someone mention that Easton & Hamilton's contracts run out on 1st July?

Obviously Easton played against Newmains with the captain's armband on which isn't exactly what you'd expect if he was offski.

Hamilton was at Newmains with the rest of the squad standing beside the away dugout but not involved in either game or Larne on Thurs.

Bit of clarity on those two's contract situation would be helpful - plus judging from interaction between Rankin & players I'd be surprised if he wasn't the new manager.

Did someone mention that Easton & Hamilton's contracts run out on 1st July?

Obviously Easton played against Newmains with the captain's armband on which isn't exactly what you'd expect if he was offski.

Hamilton was at Newmains with the rest of the squad standing beside the away dugout but not involved in either game or Larne on Thurs.

Bit of clarity on those two's contract situation would be helpful - plus judging from interaction between Rankin & players I'd be surprised if he wasn't the new manager.
I'm pretty sure Easton will sign.

I'm still wanting some sort of clarity regarding the Taylor situation.

Why was he sacked? Results? I just read on Accies World a post by someone claiming to be ITK. They have stated that Taylor has 'upset a lot of people both within the club & outside the club'. What exactly does this mean? Football related or not?

Until these question are answered (which they probably never will be) I'm still of the opinion that Taylor probably just about deserved this season (if we are basing it purely on football matters).

A shit show either way.

33 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Why was he sacked? Results? I just read on Accies World a post by someone claiming to be ITK. They have stated that Taylor has 'upset a lot of people both within the club & outside the club'. What exactly does this mean? Football related or not?

Until these question are answered (which they probably never will be) I'm still of the opinion that Taylor probably just about deserved this season (if we are basing it purely on football matters).

A shit show either way.

Got told last season that Taylor had pissed off the board by not watching opponents before we played them and he also didnt watch the u19s. No idea if that is true but that was the rumour.

Bit of a culture change after Rice who watched every game available.

48 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

A shit show either way.

The shit that ‘ITK’ person said about Ronnie running away crying because of abuse he got made me file that post under garbage as opposed to anything even close to ITK.

I probably missed as many games as I attended last season but I don't remember any abuse of Ronnie or hearing about any. Anyone?

Good to see young talent like Forsyth doing well but can't help thinking the big boys will already be sniffing around and we'll likely lose him for next to nothing.

Good post earlier Scotty. Amazing how many forget about Brophy and Ferguson.

Hats off to Hamilton Accies today. I took in the Newmains game as a neutral but thought it was an excellent idea playing away to two local wee teams on the one afternoon. Gave both those teams a wee financial boost, gave Accies a look at their younger players whilst also getting the fitness up of the whole squad, and of course, their fans a good day out.

The boy Lotana was going back to the changing rooms just as we left so saw him at close proximity - I've never felt so old!

Hats off to Hamilton Accies today. I took in the Newmains game as a neutral but thought it was an excellent idea playing away to two local wee teams on the one afternoon. Gave both those teams a wee financial boost, gave Accies a look at their younger players whilst also getting the fitness up of the whole squad, and of course, their fans a good day out.
The boy Lotana was going back to the changing rooms just as we left so saw him at close proximity - I've never felt so old!
Yeah Latona walked by me after Larkhall and I thought he was a player's kid.