The Hamilton Academical Thread

I have been researching clubs' early histories for my Scottish League Info app and have uncovered the following about the Accies origins:-

The Hamilton Academicals Cricket Club was in existence as early as 1871. In 1874, like town rivals Hamilton Cricket Club, they too started playing football in the winter months, and hence became the Hamilton Academicals Cricket and Football Club. Several players in their October and November football team line-ups had been singled out for their performances in matches during the cricket season, none more so than Alex M'Intosh who appeared prolific with the bat. Mr William J. Haley was elected as President at the first annual meeting of the Cricket and Football Club, held on February 24th, 1875, and again the following year.

Report of the club's first ever match on October 17th, 1874:-

Hamilton Academicals v Gilbertfield

Played on the ground of the latter. For the first half of the game the play was pretty even, but latterly the Gilbertfield – having now the wind – pressed their opponents greatly, their play being rewarded by the gaining of two goals – the one being kicked by H. Miller and the other by M. Mitchell. Nothing further was gained by either side; the Gilbertfield accordingly won by two goals to nothing. For the Gilbertfield Messrs Mitchell, H. Miller, Brand, Matthews, and T. Miller played well; while for the other side Messrs M’Intosh, Brown and Davidson did all they could to save defeat. In this their first match the Academicals played very creditably indeed.

On 10/06/2022 at 13:15, Jacky1990 said:

I see one of our latest sponsors is the Accies' secretary's company that is based in NDP. Great work by McGowan to find them !

To the surprise of no one (well, me anyway), Popescu confirmed as not returning. Signed a deal with a Romanian team.

Not the perfect player by any means, but I'll miss the big fella.

It'll be interesting to see what attendance (I wouldn't think it'll qualify as a crowd) at the Accies v Larne game tomorrow (Thursday) with a 1pm k-o. I fancied going for the novelty but there's no way I'm paying £10.

2 hours ago, roy of the rovers said:

It'll be interesting to see what attendance (I wouldn't think it'll qualify as a crowd) at the Accies v Larne game tomorrow (Thursday) with a 1pm k-o. I fancied going for the novelty but there's no way I'm paying £10.

Be surprised if is more than 100.

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Looks like we've got Clyde's Barry Cuddihy training with us. Can't say I know anything about him.

Natural centre mid but played most of his football with us at right back. I like him but got to say I was surprised to see he's training with a Championship side. 

Cuddihy might be one of the what looks to be 4 trialists in our squad Vs Larne today. Also included are Owens (??) and S. Spence (????) who I assume are the usual academy lads being thrown to the dogs. 

First pre-season game on Thursday* so should hopefully get at least one of these answered:

- Do we have a manager?

- Are we signing any players?

- Are Easton, Hamilton and Munro at the club?

*at £10 a pop so no chance I'm going
Why was I daft enough to think this shit would be sorted by the time we started playing games?

Cuddihy might be one of the what looks to be 4 trialists in our squad Vs Larne today. Also included are Owens (??) and S. Spence (????) who I assume are the usual academy lads being thrown to the dogs. 
Yeah both academy players. I saw One (winger) and Newbury (CB + DM) once for the u18s - liked the look of Newbury but One was shite. Hard to make any judgements after one game though.

Latona was a standout but he's still 15 I think. Apparently Forsyth (also 15) is another to look out for.

No Easton, Hamilton, Munro or Lewis Smith.
I'm sure Smith was in one of the training pics/videos so is probably injured. They'll have no doubt botched negotiations with the other three.

If they can't get Easton to sign a new deal then the chances of signing anyone decent immediately go out the window.

Just now, accies1874 said:

I'm sure Smith was in one of the training pics/videos so is probably injured. They'll have no doubt botched negotiations with the other three.

If they can't get Easton to sign a new deal then the chances of signing anyone decent immediately go out the window.

Smith injured - surely not 😂. Munro is not good enough but you are right about Easton.

Going to be a long hard season.

13 minutes ago, Moysterclass said:

Any final score predictions? I'm saying 4-0 Larne, given they've put out their first team. 

To be fair it is 1st friendly. The score is irrelevant.