The Hamilton Academical Thread

Is he any good?  Don’t remember him standing out either way in Utd v Accies games last season.
McMann is solid enough at Premiership level - expect a lot of stepovers & crosses hitting the first man though!

Has played for us at LCB in a back 3 when required too.

10 minutes ago, cdhafc1874 said:

Yep, cos Want was stretchered off after clash of heads with Virtanen.

Easton was on bench but Stirling moved in from RB to CB with Matheson coming on at RB.

Cheers, was thinking that was the case when I seen Want was subbed.

In that case i'll them off the hook somewhat, I doubt we'll see that pairing again, especially with Popescu coming in.

• 2 weeks later...

Tbh I don't blame not having a striker. Ryan was absolutely fine but had 0 support and isn't really someone who'll hold it up (but will try and draw fouls and stuff).

Having Mimnaugh defend the LB space in transition was also a clear issue. He was actually pretty good and breaking play up and trying to release a quick pass forward, but he's never going to be a 1 v 1 player.

Maybe Popescu will be the kind of bruiser we need as that's a few times now that the CBs have been completely bullied. Maybe move to a back three?

A worrying thing is that was pretty close to a strongest 11 for us. The only improvements that could have been made to that team (bar Popescu as he’s still an unknown quality ATM) is Smith starting instead of Munro/Redfern and Templeton coming in for the other or playing Mullins role with Mullin moving to the wing. That wouldn’t have even made the a bit of difference.

As the horrible man above says a back 3 could be a way forward as I think McDonald & Matheson would probably shine with a bit more creative responsibility and a bit less defensive.

Still think Fulton is a very weak link. Never been convinced by him.

Taylor's interviews are also starting to concern me a bit. I would assume (and hope) he's saying different things to the players after getting scudded 4-0, but droning on about 'The Process' is not what I want my manager to be focusing on. Corporate speak bullshit.

Couple this with his insistence on hiring a performance analyst instead of signing a striker = heavy David Brent vibes.

Very early days, but factoring in these concerns with a very weak, injury prone squad doesn't exactly scream 'good season ahead'.

1 hour ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

A worrying thing is that was pretty close to a strongest 11 for us. The only improvements that could have been made to that team (bar Popescu as he’s still an unknown quality ATM) is Smith starting instead of Munro/Redfern and Templeton coming in for the other or playing Mullins role with Mullin moving to the wing. That wouldn’t have even made the a bit of difference.

As the horrible man above says a back 3 could be a way forward as I think McDonald & Matheson would probably shine with a bit more creative responsibility and a bit less defensive.

Mullin has been awful so far. Complete imposter who should be nowhere near the team.

Virtanen might have done a job and Smith should start but apart from that you are right it was close to our strongest team.

Rumours of Temps out for ages again. 

I could maybe understand Mullin playing centrally to accommodate Lewis Smith but Munro? Don't get that. It seemed to me that when he did drift wide it tended to be to the left which makes sense to get Redfern central but not for Mullin.

It's definitely more than a striker we need. We are badly lacking in experience, someone who can perform the basics right.

Munro, Mullen and Spence were terrible for me yesterday, all added nothing and weren't in their positions when needed. Fulton definitely had an awful game yesterday, maybe Hilton can get another chance.

Saturday is a big moment for Taylor, he needs to show that he can coordinate a bounce back after bad results like that.

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Fans forum at NDP on the 18th.

Hopefully some questions will be answered.

Will 100% be cancelled after we lose 3-1 to Ayr.

Switching to the national team's tactics of a back 3 with attacking wing backs as alluded to above might not be the worst idea.

Certainly can't make our defence any worse than it has been.

Easton is finished in terms of trying to play as a CB in a pairing - we may get a season out of him at LCB.

Fulton
Matheson Hamilton Popescu Easton MacDonald
Mullin Spence Mimnaugh Smith
Ryan

I've typed it out as a 5-4-1 but it's more like a 3-4-2-1 with Matheson & MacDonald bombing forward - when they go forward Smith & Mullin can drop in behind the striker.

I've enjoyed watching Redfern this season. He's probably not gonna provide many game-changing moments at this stage of his career, but there's a lot of promise there - it's weird how similar he is to Lewis Smith with a couple of differences. I think it would be better for his development if he wasn't already an important player, though.

Pretty dreadful, if not unexpected. I don't think he'll even play 25 games across two and a bit seasons. A fit Templeton could have got us promoted (or kept the club up) and there's no one in the squad who will create the chances and goals that he would.

No, but Maitland probably wishes it was 😆

Predictably chaotic, predictably nothing was really resolved. We might get some more injury updates through Only Accies, that's pretty much it.

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

George Stanger has been released. A threadbare squad looking even worse.

I'm guessing this is more down to the player than the club. 

Understandable as centre back is probably our strongest postion and it would be very unlikely he would get any game time. All the best to him

Edited by Laid-back Accie