Bo'ness United 2021/22

Deanburn Dave

Noticed on SFA website disciplinary page Darren and Jamie McCormack are up on Rule 77 charges this week, and Jamie also charged with breaching a suspension, all from your game v 'Shire.

What's the story there? Neither of them seem to have played or even been on the bench.

Noticed on SFA website disciplinary page Darren and Jamie McCormack are up on Rule 77 charges this week, and Jamie also charged with breaching a suspension, all from your game v 'Shire.

What's the story there? Neither of them seem to have played or even been on the bench.
Choose from:-

Option A - the BU's fecked up by allowing foul mouthed injured/ suspended players to sit in the technical area and shout abuse at the officials.

Option B- it's an SFA plot to thwart the BU's efforts to win the Scottish Cup.

#FreeTheBU2

Agree with the previous poster regarding the limitations of Broadwood as a place to watch a Lowland League match but the elevated view from the stand certainly highlighted our deficiencies.

I don't know whether Cumbernauld had done their homework but it was noticeable that pretty much every kick out in the 1st half was targeted at our left back area and McCauley never won a single header. He was maybe carrying an injury since he was subbed at half-time but even Dev was winning the same headers in the second half.

We missed Michael Gemmell as soon as he went off as there was no-one in midfield to break up play and retain the ball and we started to get overrun.

Some of the passing yesterday was dreadful with Dev surprisingly being one of the main culprits.

The jury's out on Galbraith for me. I can only comment on the games I've seen him play but apart from the occasional flash I haven't seen anything special. Granted he has also been injured but yesterday he was painfully slow, got caught in possession numerous times and played countless aimless forward passes. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for some of them as by that time we had Gribben and Kieran up front who are not the most mobile but I've yet to see him justify the reputation he came with.

I don't want to be too critical as the squad have had a hectic run of games and hopefully no midweek game this week will help but it is noticeable as someone else mentioned previously that we struggle against young, pacy teams who knock it about - Broomhill must still be wondering how they never got anything from last week's game.

Finally, 4-1 certainly flattered Cumbernauld but it would have been even more painful if not for Andy Murphy. Some more top class saves yesterday coupled with his display against Broomhill which went a long way towards us securing the win.

Hopefully onwards and upwards.

Mon the BU!

9 minutes ago, YirTea'sOot said:

Agree with the previous poster regarding the limitations of Broadwood as a place to watch a Lowland League match but the elevated view from the stand certainly highlighted our deficiencies.

I don't know whether Cumbernauld had done their homework but it was noticeable that pretty much every kick out in the 1st half was targeted at our left back area and McCauley never won a single header. He was maybe carrying an injury since he was subbed at half-time but even Dev was winning the same headers in the second half.

We missed Michael Gemmell as soon as he went off as there was no-one in midfield to break up play and retain the ball and we started to get overrun.

Some of the passing yesterday was dreadful with Dev surprisingly being one of the main culprits.

The jury's out on Galbraith for me. I can only comment on the games I've seen him play but apart from the occasional flash I haven't seen anything special. Granted he has also been injured but yesterday he was painfully slow, got caught in possession numerous times and played countless aimless forward passes. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for some of them as by that time we had Gribben and Kieran up front who are not the most mobile but I've yet to see him justify the reputation he came with.

I don't want to be too critical as the squad have had a hectic run of games and hopefully no midweek game this week will help but it is noticeable as someone else mentioned previously that we struggle against young, pacy teams who knock it about - Broomhill must still be wondering how they never got anything from last week's game.

Finally, 4-1 certainly flattered Cumbernauld but it would have been even more painful if not for Andy Murphy. Some more top class saves yesterday coupled with his display against Broomhill which went a long way towards us securing the win.

Hopefully onwards and upwards.

Mon the BU!

For me it was telling that Craig Comrie wasn’t playing on Saturday as he normally operates in a sitting playmaker type role. Without Comrie in the side on Saturday, Danny Galbraith played far too deep for my liking. I much prefer to see him playing as a number 8 and would maybe even like to see him play as a number 10. 

Edited by 8MileBU

YirTea'sOot makes a few points.
"McAuley never won a header".......true his area was targetted on Saturday but overall IMO he's a very good left fullback.

"Dev was winning the same headers"......... true but then Dev for his height is very good in the air. Reads the flight of the ball and times his jumps like a top level centrehalf.
As YTO says Dev's passing yesterday was really poor. Not at all like him.

"We missed Michael Gemmell"........ Defensively he is a different class. The BU's rely on him to slow down the opposition attack AND link the defence and midfield.

"The jury's out on Galbraith"....have to disagree . He is a proper football player. We just need to play him higher up the pitch. Opponents try to kick lumps out of him which speaks volumes for his ability.

"Andy Murphy"......He is an excellent goalie. So many crucial saves for the BU. Probably worth 15 points over a season.

3 minutes ago, dolly said:

Didn’t quite understand the tactics on Saturday. A big part of BU strength is Comrie and Gemmell breaking up attacks and winning second balls. Comrie missing, so why sub Gemmell and leave ourselves open.

Had a chest infection beginning of the week and shouldn’t have played Tuesday according to his father, probably still feeling the effects on Saturday. 
Galbraith was playing far to deep he should be receiving the ball further forward. Sometimes too many ball watchers when he gets the ball ie not moving to give the options for him - over to you Max. 

From that elevated view at Broadwood, it was clear to see that every time the ball went to Galbraith, there were three men on top of him, or just one kicking him.  People say he's injury-prone, they would be too if they took as many knocks in a game as him.

Anderson likewise always had a crowd of defenders around him when he gets the ball. Where we are failing at the moment is getting supporting players up the pitch. Max likes playing a 4-2-3-1 but for that to work in attack one of the Fullbacks and the "3" need to push forward to make it look more like a 3-3-4.

The Colts played with two fast wingers on Saturday, who could hit us on the break. We don’t have that kind of pace up front so we’re limited with the supply into the box. Dave is correct in that the three need to be pushing on to support the striker and let the defensive midfielders win their tackles and lay the ball off. Galbraith and Locke are very good players but they need to be further up the park to get the best from them

Well the highlights certainly clear up a couple of points for me.  The first goal WAS offside, no argument surely?  The second, I am not convinced Andy handled outside the box and at that angle, how could the linesman be so sure?  The third goal I had thought was handball at the time but it looks to have been a bounce of his chest.  At the Bo'ness goal, I had thought a red card for the goalie should have been the outcome but from the highlights it does seem just an unfortunate collision.

Kdy giving more info than most clubs

Saturdays  Challange Cup tie away to Bo'ness United has been postponed after a COVID incident and injuries has left the YM with only 9 fit players available from the squad of 18 signed players. 

With only signed players allowed to play in the cup tie, ruling out the option of playing trialists, we were left with no option but to inform the EOS officials that we are unable to fullfill the  fixture

The COVID incident has resulted in positive tests for members of the squad who are now in isolation as well as others who are still waiting on PCR test results which won't be back in time to allow any participation this weekend either as per the strict guidlines which are in place.

Whilst the club are disappointed that they are unable to fulfill the fixture, their main concerns are with the health and safety of the players and their families.

Our apologies go out to Bo'ness United for any inconvience this may have caused with their match preparations and we look forward to hopefully meeting them once  a new date can be arranged.