Bo'ness United 2021/22

Deanburn Dave

At 2-1 we missed chances to get an equaliser. No doubt Cumbernauld Colts the better team today . The BU's looked a tired team and at times struggled to cover the ground. Several BU players have been struggling with colds and injuries. No midweek game will give them a chance to lick their wounds and be ready for the Kirkcaldy & Dysart on Saturday.

It took us about 20 mins to get used to the pitch but after that it was a pretty even game. Their first goal looked offside and the second was a cruel deflection.
At 2:1 we missed 2 good chances and that was the end of our challenge.
Their wingers were fast and direct and always looked dangerous while we didn’t have that up front.
The last 2 goals came about with us trying to grab an equaliser, Gemmell off, so no defensive cover.
Roll on next week!!!

Thought there was nothing between the teams first half and Colts first goal looked offside from where I was sitting. Second half BU just seemed to run out of gas around 70 minutes. I’d also like to add and reaffirm my opinion that sitting in stadiums in plastic seats to watch a game of football is absolutely crap.

In other news, ex Scotland striker and man of many clubs Darren Jackson at our game again today. Anyone know what his interest may be? Scouting on behalf of our upcoming Scottish Cup opponents perhaps? 🤔

Edited by 8MileBU

Thought there was nothing between the teams first half and Colts first goal looked offside from where I was sitting. Second half BU just seemed to run out of gas around 70 minutes. I’d also like to add and reaffirm my opinion that sitting in stadiums in plastic seats to watch a game of football is absolutely crap.
In other news, ex Scotland striker and man of many clubs Darren Jackson at our game again today. Anyone know what his interest may be? Scouting on behalf of our upcoming Scottish Cup opponents perhaps? [emoji848]

He was also at your games v Wick.

Simply werent good enough yesterday but 4-1 more than flattered the Colts, big turning point for me was right at the start of the 2nd half when the ref should have shown a 2nd yellow to the Colts 3 but absolutely crapped out of it. That and 2 goals for the Colts involving an offside (1st) and a handball (3rd) made for frustrating viewing, but their other two goals were really well taken.

Hope both the Colts goalie and Kyle Wilson arent as hurt as as first looked, a real nasty collision.

Also big congratulations to Kieran Anderson on reaching 100 appearances for the club, been crucial to a number of big moments in that time, he scored the goal that secured us our last superleague title, and was heavily involved in the Elgin comback to name just a couple

We are all on here trying to paper over the cracks .

BU are struggling most games against young , fit , fast and talented football players .

Our manager has his own team on the park . He has brought in at least 9 players this season who are now gone . Is this acceptable ?

We rely heavily on a 39 year old who retired 4 years ago , bring back an ex player to try to fill a gap . Resign Dev , so going back to the old guard rather than moving forward with young blood .

A lot of teams now have their under 20s which will in time supply decent youngsters to their senior side .We just seem to be so far away from forward thinking .

All these teams with the under 20s will only get better and benefit from putting this together and save some money on signing fees ultimately .

On a controversial note , I hear that BA had a really good crowd again yesterday with BU supporters in the crowd . Hope this is not a sign of things to come with BU fans getting fed up with how things are shaping up .

I for one will keep supporting my club but I’m looking already for a rebuilding plan for next season because I think it’s too late now for this one once again .

21 minutes ago, seenitall said:

BU are struggling most games against young , fit , fast and talented football players .

Our manager has his own team on the park . He has brought in at least 9 players this season who are now gone . Is this acceptable ?

We rely heavily on a 39 year old who retired 4 years ago , bring back an ex player to try to fill a gap . Resign Dev , so going back to the old guard rather than moving forward with young blood .

A lot of teams now have their under 20s which will in time supply decent youngsters to their senior side .We just seem to be so far away from forward thinking .

All these teams with the under 20s will only get better and benefit from putting this together and save some money on signing fees ultimately .

On a controversial note , I hear that BA had a really good crowd again yesterday with BU supporters in the crowd . Hope this is not a sign of things to come with BU fans getting fed up with how things are shaping up .

I for one will keep supporting my club but I’m looking already for a rebuilding plan for next season because I think it’s too late now for this one once again .

A bit of me feels inclined to say shame on any BU fan who went to watch Athletic instead of making that long, arduous half hour journey to Cumbernauld without good reason, but after sitting in a plastic seat in the soulless Broadwood stadium for 90 mins it doesn’t seem all that bad an alternative. 

BA could’ve played a significant role in a community club set up and perhaps been the Under 20s and contributing to an all encompassing Bo’ness club but they chose to do their own thing and fair enough. Their good crowd yesterday will have been helped by the international week and a lot of folk who attended will be following Rangers most of the time so I wouldn’t read too much into it for now. 

15 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

In other news, ex Scotland striker and man of many clubs Darren Jackson at our game again today. Anyone know what his interest may be? Scouting on behalf of our upcoming Scottish Cup opponents perhaps? 🤔

Darren is a pal of Max, so I would hope he wasn't taking 'the crown's shilling'.

56 minutes ago, seenitall said:

Let down by bringing in John Millar, who brought his band of players from Camelon.  From the off Max said most would be back-up and would have to play their way into team.  Some were clearly not good enough and when Millar jumped ship to his pal Herdy, his class wanted to follow.  Darren McCormack was a gamble that didn't pay off but worth the gamble nonetheless.  The lad from Lothian HV found the travelling to training was a problem and so was allowed to leave.  Balance those against the signings of Danny Galbraith, Jamie McCormack and the one good Camelon player, Greg Skinner and it comes up even.  The subsequent signings of Macaulay and Wilson have proven good ones too imo.

Dev only 'left' due to personal circumstances.  When able to, he was only too happy to return.  Every club needs senior influence.  We lost a lot in one go last season.

If you care to recall, Bo'ness United Juniors came into being with promises that have been broken at every step.  First, they had no intention of rivalling the senior club.  They said they saw themselves as a 'conveyor belt' of talent to the senior club.  Then they turned senior themselves.  If you want to see an u-20's side, offer up your time to help set up and coach as part of the Community Club programme.  

On this we agree.

This was always meant to be a 'transition' season but lady luck has deserted us.  The losses of Grant and now Miller are great but keep the faith!

1 hour ago, seenitall said:

Spoke to someone who was at the game and he said not that big a crowd plus Syngenta brought some support. So the usual matter of a opinion. Was at their match v Thornton Hibs and probably 50/60 there and we were away to Wick.
The average of the current squad is 27 so not that old. Certainly agree that an U20 team is a way forward.