Bo'ness United 2021/22

Deanburn Dave

2 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

I thought the three female officials today were excellent. Lorraine Clark the ref probably the best we have had this season.

We've had the same three and they were great and not surprised they are refereeing at a high level in europe in the womens game

34 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

Less than 200 is crazy for a Boness game. I know you are going through a tough run but that must be concerning.

Fuzzy covid has changed peoples perspective especially the older ones that watched Boness a good few that I know just don’t go because of underlining health which is a shame but it’s the world we live in 

3 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Rotten result today. No complaints from me about the 0-6 scoreline.....if anything it flatters the BU's. BU Keeper Andy Murphy saved it being 8 or 9. I had hoped EK would take the foot off the gas 2nd half but they smelled blood and kept the intensity levels high. Ruthless bar stewards.

Our back 4 took an absolute battering from the EK attack all game. Jamie and Hawkeye must be knackered after their exertions. Heard afterwards that Jamie wasn't expected to play today (sore back) but soldiered on.

In front of our back 4 was Gemmell.....but beyond him the players were em "fluid". I am not sure if it was Max or the players who kept changing their positions but it ended up looking like a disorganised mess that didn't look effective at keeping the ball or making chances.

Up front we were largely ineffective against a strong organised defence. Our best effort was blocked by Matty Flynn who couldn't avoid the goal bound effort. One of those days.

EK had 7 sub's warming up.
We had Ryan Stevenson. Hunter was also on the bench but it never looked like either would be coming on. We are down to the bare bones until the end of the season.

Hopefully we will bounce back on Tuesday at the CS Strollers.

Turning into one of my favourite posters on P&B. Never sugarcoats tweets and honest reviews even in defeats. 

I suppose as at outsider,  see this as a disappointing season for Bo’ness. When you see how Kelty and Bonnyrigg did when they got promoted, had hoped that Bo’ness, would have had a good season in the LL. Perhaps 2nd season will have your team better prepared to climb the league.

‘In Max we Trust’. If this to continue, he is going to have to make better signings, me thinks. Always thought the signing of so many Camelon players was a bit odd and appeared not to be successful at all. 

14 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Turning into one of my favourite posters on P&B. Never sugarcoats tweets and honest reviews even in defeats. 

I suppose as at outsider,  see this as a disappointing season for Bo’ness. When you see how Kelty and Bonnyrigg did when they got promoted, had hoped that Bo’ness, would have had a good season in the LL. Perhaps 2nd season will have your team better prepared to climb the league.

‘In Max we Trust’. If this to continue, he is going to have to make better signings, me thinks. Always thought the signing of so many Camelon players was a bit odd and appeared not to be successful at all. 

Dave has been a good poster for years.

58 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

I don’t think signing the Camelon lot was all that odd at the time. Bo’ness aren’t blessed with the funds that several other clubs have and it’s a complete rarity that a crop of decent young players all become available for heehaw at once. Also has to be said that the Camelon side these boys were part of always gave Bo’ness and anyone else they played a right good game of it. 

Unfortunately they didn’t all hit the ground running, it didn’t work out at Bo’ness and most moved on. Takes time for a bunch of new signings to gel in a new team though and part of me still thinks most of the lads that joined from Camelon could’ve made part of a good side and we maybe should’ve persevered with them.

Edited by 8MileBU

2 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

I don’t think signing the Camelon lot was all that odd at the time. Bo’ness aren’t blessed with the funds that several other clubs have and it’s a complete rarity that a crop of decent young players all become available for heehaw at once. Also has to be said that the Camelon side these boys were part of always gave Bo’ness and anyone else they played a right good game of it. 

Unfortunately they didn’t all hit the ground running, it didn’t work out at Bo’ness and most moved on. Takes time for a bunch of new signings to gel in a new team though and part of me still thinks most of the lads that joined from Camelon could’ve made part of a good side and we maybe should’ve persevered with them.

Seemed Max wanted a big squad so a bit like the card game, Trumph. Instead or taking one or two who might have fitted in at Bo’ness, took the lot knowing some would purely be there if lots of injuries. Camelon weren’t even in top 6 best teams of Premier League so regardless how flush Bo’ness were/weren’t it was never going to work. 

Yesterday’s result has just highlighted what we’ve known for some time you can’t expect to take on the Bonnyrigg Rose’s and the East Kilbride’s with a team of players waving doctors certificates, their replacements who haven’t been good enough or young loanees.
This seasons budget seems to been used to bring in experienced players, at inflated rates, who for various reasons have just not “done the business” plus the influx from Camelon which didn’t work out.
Of the existing players from last season, we’ve lost the majority of the experienced ones to long term injuries leaving 3 or 4 hardy annuals to try and carry the team through the season which you can get away against lesser teams but not the big boys as we’ve recently seen.
They’re needs to be some serious thinking before next seasons budget is used as get some stability on the park.

At the moment we’re a club in free fall. I’ve never been so disillusioned as I have been this season. I’ve been watching Bo’ness for 50 years and this is a very low point for us. I know people are going on about money but we shouldn’t be this bad. End of season can’t come quickly enough. Massive work to be done for next season. I hope they have already been working behind the scenes on this . I’m hoping we’ve been extra cautious with our budget the last couple of seasons because of Covid and we can go for it next year. Surly it can’t get worse

1 hour ago, Bu bri said:

At the moment we’re a club in free fall. I’ve never been so disillusioned as I have been this season. I’ve been watching Bo’ness for 50 years and this is a very low point for us. I know people are going on about money but we shouldn’t be this bad. End of season can’t come quickly enough. Massive work to be done for next season. I hope they have already been working behind the scenes on this . I’m hoping we’ve been extra cautious with our budget the last couple of seasons because of Covid and we can go for it next year. Surly it can’t get worse

Agree fully .

If anyone can come on and give us the last time we had a home season as bad as this , please do .

9 defeats , 1 to a club that hadn’t won for 2 years and still hasn’t apart from us .

5 wins with an argument there that we could have lost 3 of them .

3 draws .

Average of 2 goals a game conceded .

That is a very poor record and frankly some games have been abysmal to watch .

Somebody pointed out the other week that our top scorer is Xander and he hasn’t kicked a ball for 7 months .

I fully understand that the financial position might stop BU getting some players but several teams that we have played have less money than us to spend and they have beaten us too. So it’s not all down to money .

I also understand that sometimes there is bad luck , injuries etc but that can’t account for a full season .

Where we go I don’t know but we are in a bad place today . I just hope tomorrow is better .

14 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Seemed Max wanted a big squad so a bit like the card game, Trumph. Instead or taking one or two who might have fitted in at Bo’ness, took the lot knowing some would purely be there if lots of injuries. Camelon weren’t even in top 6 best teams of Premier League so regardless how flush Bo’ness were/weren’t it was never going to work. 

Probably should’ve done a bit research first before making that claim - Camelon were in the top 6 (6th place) on 20pts behind LTHV in 5th on 22pts and with each having a game in hand over Linlithgow and Musselburgh when the season was canned. I think at the time Camelon’s next fixture was due to be against 3rd bottom Blackburn which Camelon would’ve been heavy favourites to have won and thus they’d have likely been at least top 4 in the Premier League behind Tranent, Jeanfield and possibly LTHV. 

Anyhoo - My own take is that Bo’ness got off to a bad start this season with some poor results and a bit of panic set in before the side had time to gel. Whether the Camelon lot would’ve eventually settled, gelled with the players already there and improved the side is anyones guess, but I wouldn’t say any of the ex Camelon players were rubbish as such and they definitely would’ve added some youth, energy and numbers to a small, aging squad.

Edited by 8MileBU

Cast our minds back to June and the chaotic state of Fitbaw. Nobody had any certainty about the season ahead and would fans be allowed in. Max had a chance to take on 6 ex Camelon boys and did. Max was clear in interviews at the time that these were not first team players but boys who would be developed while bulking up the squad.
First 4 friendlies would have allowed Max to properly suss them out but alas all 4 were cancelled.
Our first 2 friendlies against The Binos and Tranent were tight victories and we looked not bad.
The friendly at Linlithgow was a warning sign. To lose in the manner we did with very little fight was unacceptable.

Lets not forget Darren McCormack and Sandy Cunningham were brought in as first team material but neither stayed. That was annoying and would have frustrated the managers plans.

So in short we started the season unsure of the finances, the squad and whether or not the season would be played.

This was always likely to be a very difficult and unpredictable season for Max and the BU's.

Because of all these things I reckon Max Christie will be the manager next season.