Bo'ness United 2021/22

Deanburn Dave

13 minutes ago, Bu bri said:

Seenitall is bang on . No denying the effort of the players etc. But the fact of the matter is we’re not good enough. We’re like a Sunday league site trying to patch a team on the pitch far too often. We’re a shambles. It’s getting depressing. Don’t want next season to end up like this one. So you all think we should just stay as we are and hope for the best. I don’t have the answer’s but someone has to come up with them 

Where do you think Boness should be in the league ? Me personally it’s mid table and build on it  injury’s to miller and Locke don’t help 

4 hours ago, YirTea'sOot said:

We were very fortunate to get to extra-time today after being 2-0 up.

Grant was an empty jersey this afternoon - not an uncommon occurrence but he seems to be Christie's golden boy.. Dev & Gemmell were getting overrun in midfield.

Stevenson's end product was hopeless despite getting into good positions out wide numerous times.

Any time I see Hawkins play he either looks terrified or way off the pace. Skinner didn't have his best game today but he was constantly having to provide cover across the back and was injured in a last ditch saving tackle to prevent a goal. McCormack should have been moved to CH with Hawkins going to RB where he could do less damage.

No idea where Galbraith or Carstairs were. Injured? Suspended? Cup-tied? Work commitments? We seem to have signed 2 players who at best can play every second game if that. Not that Galbraith was missed - another empty jersey more often than not.

Consistently watching the long ball getting played to Matty Flynn and hoping that he can hold off a centre-half who's 6 inches taller than him and control it on his chest (which to be fair to him, he does more often than you would expect him to) is soul destroying stuff. The young lad from Motherwell must be wondering what he's let himself in for.

Our manager's tactical solution to everything seems to be just shout "Hey. Come on" to various players every two minutes.

I will continue to support the team home and away but the fans deserve much better than has been served up to us this season and if that means wholesale changes are required then that needs to happen.

An ex BU manager once set his stop watch for a game to hear the 1st negative shout at a Boness game and he didn’t get to minute some our are support are a disgrace there’s Ryan ran his guts out today cause missed a pen he gets abuse 

43 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

One thing I've never understood is why there's no U-20 team. With that in place there would be no need to be playing with almost no subs so often.

all well and good but try telling a kid under 20 he’s playing on the friday night with his age group and you need him to sit on the bench on to fill it on the saturday

5 hours ago, Bu bri said:

Think we should be top 5 at the very least. Look at what Kelly and Bonnyrig have done. Why not us. We potentially have a bigger fan base the both. 

Both clubs have attracted investors and very generous sponsors as well as having social clubs at the ground. BU have neither.

1 hour ago, LowerLeagueFC said:

all well and good but try telling a kid under 20 he’s playing on the friday night with his age group and you need him to sit on the bench on to fill it on the saturday

Happens at other clubs so why not Bo’ness? There was hope Athletic could have been the link between youth and first team but alas….

8 hours ago, LowerLeagueFC said:

So just chuck the U20s league in the bin? Stupid answer you give. Don’t have to sit on bench but surely they will be pleased to be considered. Also gets them in to know some of the main team and get involved with pre-match warm ups and training set ups. The guys in the U20s will be ambitious and will want any chance to show they are worthy of a place in the Saturday squad.

First season, Musselburgh signed 4 of the under20s. All given small amounts of match time on Saturdays which grew as season went on. Two still at a Burgh, other two moved on with other EoS Premier sides. Our goalie was given a chance last year as a sub in Wick, Scottish Cup tie. Was brought in as no. 2 keeper this season, but is now no.1. 

13 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

So just chuck the U20s league in the bin? Stupid answer you give. Don’t have to sit on bench but surely they will be pleased to be considered. Also gets them in to know some of the main team and get involved with pre-match warm ups and training set ups. The guys in the U20s will be ambitious and will want any chance to show they are worthy of a place in the Saturday squad.

First season, Musselburgh signed 4 of the under20s. All given small amounts of match time on Saturdays which grew as season went on. Two still at a Burgh, other two moved on with other EoS Premier sides. Our goalie was given a chance last year as a sub in Wick, Scottish Cup tie. Was brought in as no. 2 keeper this season, but is now no.1. 

I raised this very point that BU should have an under 20s side but was told on here to sort it myself by a committee member I believe , so that gives you an insight there .

There are almost 30 east sides now running an under 20s side which hopefully will provide the senior teams with some good young players in the long term .

There are plenty of benefits to be had with this set up and I’m sure the teams that don’t participate will later regret it .

Unfortunately  I’m not in a position to set this up so can’t see any plans soon .

33 minutes ago, seenitall said:

There are almost 30 east sides now running an under 20s side which hopefully will provide the senior teams with some good young players in the long term

Of the LL (east) and EOS Premier sides, 10 clubs don't have an U20s side: Berwick, East Stirlingshire, Bo'ness United, Vale of Leithen, Linlithgow, Tranent, Broxburn, Crossgates, Dundonald, and Dunbar.

4 hours ago, Pennelton Percy said:

Watched the Kelty v St J highlights and thought about when Ross Philp was our player of the season and the next season he got played at full back to accommodate a new signing. Was rightly scunnered and went back to Kelty.

Who did he accommodate? 

4 hours ago, seenitall said:

I raised this very point that BU should have an under 20s side but was told on here to sort it myself by a committee member I believe , so that gives you an insight there .

There are almost 30 east sides now running an under 20s side which hopefully will provide the senior teams with some good young players in the long term .

There are plenty of benefits to be had with this set up and I’m sure the teams that don’t participate will later regret it .

Unfortunately  I’m not in a position to set this up so can’t see any plans soon .

I am maybe wrong, but when we were still in the Juniors - thinking of coming over to the EoS set up, Musselburgh had an open night for fans to come and listen to/speak to the Chair of the club. I am sure it was said if we were ambitious and wanted to move up the leagues, it was mandatory to have an U20s side associated with main club. It appeared that most clubs coming over took up this option, one way or the other. I know Tranent and Haddington had U20s in the 1st season, though Tranent were kicked out of the U20 league while Haddington disbanded.

With a poster saying there are 10 or so clubs without U20s teams,, maybe this is not the case. 

I love seeing U20s from any/all clubs getting a chance to play in the main team and try and make an effort to applaud any club who doses involve the younger guys. 

5 hours ago, Pennelton Percy said:

Watched the Kelty v St J highlights and thought about when Ross Philp was our player of the season and the next season he got played at full back to accommodate a new signing. Was rightly scunnered and went back to Kelty.

That’s a lot of rubbish.

Kelty made an offer that was too good to turn down. I also believe Ross is from, lives and works over that way. 

Ross is a versatile player with a good attitude and playing full back at Bo’ness was a case of needs-must more often than not due to others being injured. When he was our player of the year I think he played about half a dozen positions that season too. He has also filled in at full back “to accommodate” new signings at Kelty as well.

Some of his midfield competition during his time at Bo’ness included Scott Pitman, Robert Sloan, Ian Nimmo and sometimes Paul Murphy. No shame in losing a midfield spot to any of them back then.

9 minutes ago, Pennelton Percy said:
40 minutes ago, Arnie said:
Who did he accommodate? 

Ruari Maclennan

Another player there’s no shame in losing your midfield spot to. Arguably one-of, if not the best centre midfielder in the east juniors when we signed him, albeit things didn’t work out. Far less pace and much less suited to filling in at full back than Ross Philp though.

Edited by 8MileBU

5 hours ago, seenitall said:

I raised this very point that BU should have an under 20s side but was told on here to sort it myself by a committee member I believe , so that gives you an insight there...

Maybe this a daft question and I'm missing something but if Bo'ness United Community FC can run lots of age groups up to a U-18 team how can having a U-20 team that creates a pathway for all of that into the Bo'ness United first team not be something that both parties would view as the natural next step?

On 23/01/2022 at 13:56, LowerLeagueFC said:

Lewis Paton and Cole Cattanach have been doing it for Camelon the last few weeks