Bo'ness United 2021/22

Deanburn Dave

8 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

I think to some extent Max and Bo’ness were stuck between a rock and a hard place. It’s no big secret that Bo’ness don’t have as big a budget as some other sides and like any other league competition for the top players is fierce, but our squad was quite simply short on bodies and the numbers needed boosting. Then the furlough drama at Camelon meant a bunch of their players became available.

Personally, despite the Camelon lot having not panned out as we’d have hoped, I can fully understand why Bo’ness signed them. A bunch of younger guys who showed signs of being a potentially good side under Herdy at Camelon; so in that sense they all might’ve been a worthwhile gamble. However it seems the step-up to Lowland might’ve been too much for some, or they just aren’t ready yet. There’s also the case that some might’ve been able to make the step-up eventually, but just couldn’t cement themselves in the BU team and didn’t want to be sat on the bench every week. Which is fair enough. 

That’s my take on it.

Cheers BU 👍

8 hours ago, Arnie said:

He was offered to Boness athletic as part of the deal to bring the forward to Linlithgow back he didn’t want to leave Linlithgow and why would he with the wages he gets and signing a 3 year deal 

I was talking about United, but surely if he was being offered elsewhere by the Rose is not a great sign.

Decent player as well 

On 01/11/2021 at 08:52, LongTimeLurker said:

Guess they maybe needed to drop a contract and receive a transfer fee to be able to do the Murray Carstairs deal and the influx from Camelon seemed to lead to issues in the dressing room so maybe his face didn't fit regardless of how well he was playing.

What your saying is very negative. As I don’t think Skinner is going anyhere if he did it would be up not down. Carstairs has been brought in to play along side him not a replacement.
Max is trying to build a team to establish it in the top half of the LL and whilst the start wasn’t the best he is improving the squad gradually so onwards and upwards.

Edited by boheesian

As stated in an earlier post hope the guy stays. Was only wondering what was going on and was trying to rationalise why it might have been a necessary step if it turns out to be what happens. Thought the sensible thing was done by hanging in there with the manager. If you have a guy that you know from past experience can build a strong squad when nobody is pumping crazy money in you give him time to get the job done with a rebuild even if the first iteration doesn't work out as planned.

On 01/11/2021 at 17:21, 8MileBU said:

I think to some extent Max and Bo’ness were stuck between a rock and a hard place. It’s no big secret that Bo’ness don’t have as big a budget as some other sides and like any other league competition for the top players is fierce, but our squad was quite simply short on bodies and the numbers needed boosting. Then the furlough drama at Camelon meant a bunch of their players became available.

Personally, despite the Camelon lot having not panned out as we’d have hoped, I can fully understand why Bo’ness signed them. A bunch of younger guys who showed signs of being a potentially good side under Herdy at Camelon; so in that sense they all might’ve been a worthwhile gamble. However it seems the step-up to Lowland might’ve been too much for some, or they just aren’t ready yet. There’s also the case that some might’ve been able to make the step-up eventually, but just couldn’t cement themselves in the BU team and didn’t want to be sat on the bench every week. Which is fair enough. 

That’s my take on it.

I'm pretty sure Boness Utds budget is far more than many sides in this league surely ? 

Would be interesting to see a comparison of sides wage budgets 

9 minutes ago, changeisneeded said:

I'm pretty sure Boness Utds budget is far more than many sides in this league surely ? 

Quite possibly. Either way it’s a transitional season with a lot of new faces coming and going but also difficult to bring in the calibre of player who might bring more instant success.

5 hours ago, changeisneeded said:

It certainly would be interesting. How many would take a polygraph after disclosure? 

Not a shattering loss.  He was definitely one who was a 'back-up' player at best.
Greg MacPherson has signed for Linlithgow Rose this evening. He was the first of the signings from Camelon to be moved on by the BU's.

Think he played about half an hour in our first preseason game and that was all.

Quoting the views of Jamboness when he heard Greg was moving on.

BU 1 Rangers B 0 at halftime. GersB looked like they were going to take the lead but the BU's scored from a corner on 45 mins. Goal line clearance by Skinner was a key moment in the first half. The BU's are looking good with the new players.

This game could go either way. The BU's are playing into a strong breeze in the second half. Mon the BU's !!!

The wind made it tough viewing. It was cold. But who cares .......3 well earned points for the BU. Both sides could and probably should have scored a couple of goals.

The greater level of experience in the BU ranks was the telling difference in my opinion.

MOTM ? .... Several candidates but for me it was Skinner who just edged it in front of Carstairs. Two central defenders who look like they were made to play together.