Bo'ness United 2021/22

Deanburn Dave

48 minutes ago, Jambo'ness said:

Certainly, the passing was much better and Max was constantly telling them to 'keep the ball'.  In all honesty, would Gemmell have been a sensible choice for these two games?  Probably not, as there was no opposition play to break down.  I would expect a different approach next Saturday.

Gemmell would be a sensible choice for any game. One of the best at “keep the ball” football not just breaking up play. Plus with his experience he just makes others around him play better. 

32 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Gemmell has played a lot of football in his long career. The last few games have given Max a chance to look at the new players and Michael gets a wee rest.

Here’s hoping it’s just a wee rest. To not be in the squad or at the match at all concerns me as I know he rarely misses matches through work and still attends when injured.

One wee thing that's almost gone unnoticed is the fact we had two hat-trick scorers on Saturday.  Last time that happened was in 2018, when Doogs and Stevenson managed it in the record win over Eyemouth.

But who can remember the day we had three players manage it in the one game?

Haven't looked it up but guessing against Lossiemouth. Will be checking it out though.

One wee thing that's almost gone unnoticed is the fact we had two hat-trick scorers on Saturday.  Last time that happened was in 2018, when Doogs and Stevenson managed it in the record win over Eyemouth.

5 hours ago, John S said:

Haven't looked it up but guessing against Lossiemouth. Will be checking it out though.

5 hours ago, Jambo said:
But who can remember the day we had three players manage it in the one game?

Nah Wisnae that game

Invergordon Vics? Can't remember the year, final score was 12-1 though iirc

1 hour ago, bigwullieac said:

Invergordon Vics? Can't remember the year, final score was 12-1 though iirc

I'll give you it.  It was actuallu Portgordon Vics, back in 2012.  Chris Donnelly (again) and Chris Hamilton bagged hat-tricks but Steven Hislop scored five.

I'll give you it.  It was actuallu Portgordon Vics, back in 2012.  Chris Donnelly (again) and Chris Hamilton bagged hat-tricks but Steven Hislop scored five.
And the biggest cheer was for Portgordon, poor guys had at least 5 players who looked no older than 16

Over the past years our team has won leagues and cups with its will to win and never say die attitude.
That success has been down to the
spine of the team, Murphy, Hunter, Gemmell and now Miller.
What’s happening?

19 hours ago, dolly said:

Over the past years our team has won leagues and cups with its will to win and never say die attitude.
That success has been down to the
spine of the team, Murphy, Hunter, Gemmell and now Miller.
What’s happening?

Not entirely sure what your question is really asking.  If you are questioning why Gemmell isn't in the team, ask Max or Michael himself. 

We are really lucky to have Hunts at his age and possibly even luckier to have Murphy, who could easily shine in a higher league.

Overall, we have a brand new squad and that 'never say die', 'will to win' attitude is still to be fostered between them but it is getting there.  Max had a lot of changes forced on him this year but the team will come good, I'm sure.

Based on what I have seen this season here is what I think is our current best eleven:- Going for 4-1-4-1.   I don't think there will be many arguments about 1 to 6 or Zander at 9 but picking 4 from :- McMullan, Grant, Locke and Stevenson, Comrie ,  Allan,  McKenzie, Flynn and Anderson is where Max has his work cut out.

1- Murphy

2 Right Back  Hawkins 

3 Left Back  MacAuley

4 and 5 Centrehalf pairing J McCormack  and Hunter      

6 Defensive mid :- Gemmell

7,8,10,11 :-  McMullan, Grant, Locke and Stevenson

no 9 Miller

If you don't think that's the best eleven just now then let's have your suggestions.

On the bench that leaves defender Skinner,   midfielders Comrie ,  Allan,  McKenzie,        Forwards- Flynn and Anderson

On the treatment table - D McCormack (long term) and Galbraith (hopefully short term) 

10 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Based on what I have seen this season here is what I think is our current best eleven:- Going for 4-1-4-1.   I don't think there will be many arguments about 1 to 6 or Zander at 9 but picking 4 from :- McMullan, Grant, Locke and Stevenson, Comrie ,  Allan,  McKenzie, Flynn and Anderson is where Max has his work cut out.

1- Murphy

2 Right Back  Hawkins 

3 Left Back  MacAuley

no 9 Miller

If you don't think that's the best eleven just now then let's have your suggestions.

On the bench that leaves defender Skinner,   midfielders Comrie ,  Allan,  McKenzie,        Forwards- Flynn and Anderson

On the treatment table - D McCormack (long term) and Galbraith (hopefully short term) 

Your best 11 differs from the manager, where do you think he is getting things wrong and why is he wrong?

9 hours ago, Legless said:

Your best 11 differs from the manager, where do you think he is getting things wrong and why is he wrong?

This has always been a subject that is just a matter of opinion between different fans.  The one opinion that matters is that of Max.  He sees them in training, how they respond to different tactics he may suggest.  He has info on future opponents and so may well pick a team based on that.  I think the days of a "best 11" are gone, it really is a squad game now.

14 minutes ago, Jambo'ness said:

This has always been a subject that is just a matter of opinion between different fans.  The one opinion that matters is that of Max.  He sees them in training, how they respond to different tactics he may suggest.  He has info on future opponents and so may well pick a team based on that.  I think the days of a "best 11" are gone, it really is a squad game now.

Totally agree, excellent points.

On 03/08/2021 at 22:35, Deanburn Dave said:

1- Murphy

2 Right Back  Hawkins 

3 Left Back  MacAuley

no 9 Miller

Couldn’t disagree with that lineup. However, we got repeatedly got caught it at the back in our two home games by playing three at the back. Last two matches it looks like 4-3-3 (wasn’t at both) so just assuming that. 
I think the biggest issue was friendlies being cancelled causing Limited time for the management team to get formation/s sorted.

One player who has impressed is J McCormack, really good attitude that I hope should rub off on others.

Glass just over half full.