Bo'ness United 2021/22

Deanburn Dave

Very happy with the performance and result but that really was a game we should have scored double figures in.  No disrespect to VoL but some poor finishing let them off.

Tom Grant was in a different class, with a roving commission, he was a threat throughout.  That 'long-banger' in the second half was different gravy.

1 hour ago, Jambo'ness said:

Very happy with the performance and result but that really was a game we should have scored double figures in.  No disrespect to VoL but some poor finishing let them off.

Tom Grant was in a different class, with a roving commission, he was a threat throughout.  That 'long-banger' in the second half was different gravy.

What was the formation?
Whilst the quality of the opposition in the last two games were not the strongest, scoring 13 goals is not too shabby and can only give the team confidence.
I was hugely disappointed in the two homes games where we were defensively a shambles so the return of Hunter - who is a leader - will surely tighten up the defence. 
I think that Max’s problem is how he fits in the so many players we have to play in midfield.

Onwards and upwards.

The "too many midfielders" point has been raised by a few fans at the recent games. I would describe the formation today as fluid !!

No Gemmell at the game. His deep middle role was filled by Locke and later Flynn.

Tom Grant worked intelligently drifting into spaces and creating problems for the opponents. To be fair there were several other BU players also working hard at stretching the VoL defence who did tire quickly.

In short there was lots of running and effort from the BU and there was some good passages of passing play which created chances. The team also worked hard to regain possession. Jamie Allan came on as a sub and again impressed.

I reckon Max is still trying to work out who he can trust and how best to set them up.

Ryan Stevenson an unused sub. He should be starting every game IMO.

12 minutes ago, bigwullieac said:

Sad to have missed today already and even sadder now seeing the score, next week against the Colts should be a good benchmark as to how well the players have gelled and gained confidence from the last two games.

In Max we trust!

That mobs Colts might’ve all been promoted to being their first team in about an hour from now! 😂🤞

Has Gemmell picked up a knock? Another game I didn’t see his name on the team sheet.

1 minute ago, Deanburn Dave said:

The "too many midfielders" point has been raised by a few fans at the recent games. I would describe the formation today as fluid !!

No Gemmell at the game. His deep middle role was filled by Locke and later Flynn.

Tom Grant worked intelligently drifting into spaces and creating problems for the opponents. To be fair there were several other BU players also working hard at stretching the VoL defence who did tire quickly.

In short there was lots of running and effort from the BU and there was some good passages of passing play which created chances. The team also worked hard to regain possession. Jamie Allan came on as a sub and again impressed.

I reckon Max is still trying to work out who he can trust and how best to set them up.

Ryan Stevenson an unused sub. He should be starting every game IMO.

Was the cameraman there to film the game today? Hopefully see some goals and highlights. 

Disagree re Ryan Stevenson. 

Sad to have missed today already and even sadder now seeing the score, next week against the Colts should be a good benchmark as to how well the players have gelled and gained confidence from the last two games.

In Max we trust!
You, yer old paw and Sandy Q as well as a 0-7 win missed :-
A collie dog ran on the park from behind the VoL bench after we scored and it refused to leave delaying the restart.
Jamie McCormack having a mad sweary rant about the VoL bench doing nothing about said Collie dog.
The VoL bench in hysterics at said rant.
A very large VoL substitute who joined their central defence who was easily XXXXL size and that is no exaggeration.
All in all a very enjoyable trip.

2 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

What's your issue with him 8mile ?

This will take some explaining and I’ll take no pleasure writing it as I hate criticising any of our players on an open forum. 

No issue with Ryan but I know I’m not alone in that I just don’t see what some folk on here see in him. Do not get me wrong though - I know there’s a good player in there. I just always feel that for every good game he’s had, there’s 3 or 4 games where he’s been average at best or dare I say it; poor.
Again, I know he’s got ability but I think there’s always been other players far more consistent and deserving of a place. I don’t know whether it’s his own inconsistency, being used in so many different positions or both, but for me he often fails to impress.

I personally think he needs to play as a winger or an attacking midfielder if we are to get the best of him. However, for a couple of seasons now I’ve seen folk raving about him regularly on here but often find myself thinking, “If he’s that bloody good, why’s he in and out the team so much and never made a position his own?” 

Edited by 8MileBU

11 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

What's your issue with him 8mile ?

I don’t think it’s having an issue, it’s called having an opinion. 
I am more concerned at no Michael Gemmell the last 3 games,  who in my opinion has been Bo’ness Utd’s most consistent player over the last 4 or 5 years.

Edited by Legless

13 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

You, yer old paw and Sandy Q as well as a 0-7 win missed :-
A collie dog ran on the park from behind the VoL bench after we scored and it refused to leave delaying the restart.
Jamie McCormack having a mad sweary rant about the VoL bench doing nothing about said Collie dog.
The VoL bench in hysterics at said rant.
A very large VoL substitute who joined their central defence who was easily XXXXL size and that is no exaggeration.
All in all a very enjoyable trip.

They must feed them well down there.  They started wit two 'large' centre-backs, then brought on the boy you mention.  Easily the largest player I have seen at this level.  Had to check it wasn't Gary O'Connor!

The dog was their man of the match undoubtedly.

On to more serious matters, I think the last two games came at the right time, giving the players a chance to knit together as a team.  Certainly, the passing was much better and Max was constantly telling them to 'keep the ball'.  In all honesty, would Gemmell have been a sensible choice for these two games?  Probably not, as there was no opposition play to break down.  I would expect a different approach next Saturday.

As for Ryan, I thought he started really well against the Colts but he is not the best defensively and is perhaps suffering from his versatility.  It is a long season and he just has to make Max 'have' to pick him, by showing up well in training.