Queen’s Park 21/22

1 hour ago, williebraveheart said:

Good to read that Marijn is talking about bringing some quality in before the transfer window closes. My feeling is that it may be too little too late but look forward to seeing what happens. It will also be interesting to see who goes out on loan. 

Dempster and Ellis were both strongly committed to January signings too at the AGM in December. And then he got sacked the following week! I think we can still sign loanees in February. Not the dream option but might be the best we can get. Unless Marijn has a protégé in Alkmaar or  Eindhoven lined up. However it plays out, we're still hard to beat so we just need someone to score enough goals to get us to the play-offs. Simple as that.

On the upside, we are behaving like a big team here, last minute dramas in the transfer window😉

2 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

Good to read that Marijn is talking about bringing some quality in before the transfer window closes. My feeling is that it may be too little too late but look forward to seeing what happens. It will also be interesting to see who goes out on loan. 

Callum Yeats has been loaned out to Stenny. Do we have another option for left back if Robson is injured or suspended?

Body Patterson is likely to be playing against us today, I wouldn't have had any complaints if we'd brought him back.

12 minutes ago, Arachnophile said:

Liam Brown, Luca Connell & Grant Gillespie are a shadow of their former selves in recent games.

Would certainly say Gillespie and Connell’s performances have fell off in recent times but I really do feel for Brown. For me, our most naturally gifted and talented player yet I don’t think anyone knows how to utilise him to his full potential. I’m really not a fan of him being punted out wide to accommodate others because if used properly, he’s an exceptional central midfielder for this level. I wouldn’t be adverse to putting him right behind the striker, pulling the strings between the midfield and attack 

In terms of Gillepsie, his performances in recent months are suggesting he’s on a one way road to part time football. Miles off it 

Edited by qpfc

21 minutes ago, Arachnophile said:

Liam Brown, Luca Connell & Grant Gillespie are a shadow of their former selves in recent games.

Brown's decreasing influence is definitely something I've noticed when watching Queen's Park this season. He was by far the best player on the park in the 0-0 League Cup game and Airdrie never really got to grips with him that day, the issue was Simon Murray wasting any chances Brown created. Since then he hasn't quite been involved as much and he seems to be moved around quite a lot, playing out wide or as a deeper midfielder. I could be wrong but I feel like the Queen's Park midfield has been built around Luca Connell the last few times I've seen them but for me Brown offers much more and playing with him as a number 10 and giving him freedom to create would work well. I suppose having a better striker to work with might help too but unfortunately that's an issue for every team in this league with the exception of Cove and Clyde.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

Brown's decreasing influence is definitely something I've noticed when watching Queen's Park this season. He was by far the best player on the park in the 0-0 League Cup game and Airdrie never really got to grips with him that day, the issue was Simon Murray wasting any chances Brown created. Since then he hasn't quite been involved as much and he seems to be moved around quite a lot, playing out wide or as a deeper midfielder. I could be wrong but I feel like the Queen's Park midfield has been built around Luca Connell the last few times I've seen them but for me Brown offers much more and playing with him as a number 10 and giving him freedom to create would work well. I suppose having a better striker to work with might help too but unfortunately that's an issue for every team in this league with the exception of Cove and Clyde.

I would agree with this, and the assessment by qpfc and Arachnophile. Connell is the favoured playmaker, and it sidelines Brown into an ineffective role. Connell is undoubtedly a talent, but not the finished product. Gillespie for me just doesn't cut it in League 1.

I'd welcome Davidson and Thomson getting a run.

16 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

This is worrying. The guy looks traumatised here. 😕

I actually find this interview quite encouraging. He's clearly just as frustrated with how the team are playing as we all are, and I'll be amazed if we don't make at least a couple of last minute signings.

I’m clinging to the hope that the new director of football has built up a scouting network through his previous work developing youth talent and recruitment doesn’t stop when the window shuts. It would be interesting to see what happens in that direction. He has in the past brought in young talent from further afield than the local area that has had an impact. Not saying that this would necessarily have an effect on the first team this season but do you think that it’s something we can expect from him? What are your thoughts? 

2 hours ago, Southern spider said:

I’m clinging to the hope that the new director of football has built up a scouting network through his previous work developing youth talent and recruitment doesn’t stop when the window shuts. It would be interesting to see what happens in that direction. He has in the past brought in young talent from further afield than the local area that has had an impact. Not saying that this would necessarily have an effect on the first team this season but do you think that it’s something we can expect from him? What are your thoughts? 

Don't know but it would be nice. From the interview yesterday it would appear that he's not happy having to be the interim manager.

11 hours ago, Zanetti said:

I actually find this interview quite encouraging. He's clearly just as frustrated with how the team are playing as we all are, and I'll be amazed if we don't make at least a couple of last minute signings.

I agree. Its refreshing to hear a manager not desperately trying to "take positives" from a shite display  

12 minutes ago, Arachnophile said:

I agree. Its refreshing to hear a manager not desperately trying to "take positives" from a shite display  

I agree with this but can we please try and get somebody a bit more professional to carry out the interviews. I thought Marijn was going to hit him half way through. Ask the question without trying to supply the answers before the interviewee opens his mouth.

11 hours ago, Zanetti said:

I won’t be amazed. The rush to get one word changed in the Articles has left a number of grey areas, and this is a big one. As registered directors of the club, any spending issues must lie with the committee. In Beuker’s LinkedIn profile he claims he is responsible for recruitment and contract details. So there’s a clash there. Although it’s unclear if Beuker’s authority extends to the first team or just the development programme.

A while back I mentioned that to get a decent signing in we’d need to shed some of the overhead, and that’s not happened. It’s becoming clearer each week that a significant number of this squad will have to go in the summer. Given all the cost-damage on the stadium and the McKinnon Legacy it’ll be very tempting for the committee/ board to just sit tight. Given the baggage we’ve got at the moment, I wouldn’t blame them. As for ‘H’ bailing us out; from what I know he’s focussed on the long-term development. First team success/failure in the short-term is on the committee. 

Really interesting and revealing interview. Fair fks to him for fronting, and it’s good we don’t get the same autopilot answers but maybe it’s time to mix up the inane questions 😂

Aside from the match stuff the dude is basically screaming out for a manager to be appointed, and he’s got a point. Maybe we’d even have a couple more bodies in by now if he wasn’t having to take the first team instead of concentrating of his primary role  

Manager-wise… the Jack Ross stuff looks to have been leaked to the media last Monday / Tuesday? How long does it take to consider an offer? Yer either up for it or yer not. If yer not then good luck with Dundee or St Johnstone or whoever and let’s move on to plan B (or C, or D, or E). 

2 hours ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Really interesting and revealing interview. Fair fks to him for fronting, and it’s good we don’t get the same autopilot answers but maybe it’s time to mix up the inane questions 😂

Aside from the match stuff the dude is basically screaming out for a manager to be appointed, and he’s got a point. Maybe we’d even have a couple more bodies in by now if he wasn’t having to take the first team instead of concentrating of his primary role  

Manager-wise… the Jack Ross stuff looks to have been leaked to the media last Monday / Tuesday? How long does it take to consider an offer? Yer either up for it or yer not. If yer not then good luck with Dundee or St Johnstone or whoever and let’s move on to plan B (or C, or D, or E). 

Agreed. Ross is a decent manager with a pretty good pedigree, but he's not Guardiola. We've already gone a month now without a manager and the longer it goes on the more it's looking like the club have already written this season off. 

23 hours ago, Velvet Donkey said:

I would agree with this, and the assessment by qpfc and Arachnophile. Connell is the favoured playmaker, and it sidelines Brown into an ineffective role. Connell is undoubtedly a talent, but not the finished product. Gillespie for me just doesn't cut it in League 1.

I'd welcome Davidson and Thomson getting a run.

Big fans of both Brown and Connell, I always think it's bizarre when loan players get favoured over your own talent though.

Fair enough if its a tricky winger or a striker that adds attributes that you don't already possess but I'd say they are much of a muchness.