Queen’s Park 21/22

2 minutes ago, CathcartSkins said:

The best Part-Time players in Scotland. 

I have heard that they used their £500,000 grant to pay substantial wages. Being the only part-time club to receive that kind of money, gratis, they were able to do just that and attract the finest part-time players in Scotland.

51 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

I have heard that they used their £500,000 grant to pay substantial wages. Being the only part-time club to receive that kind of money, gratis, they were able to do just that and attract the finest part-time players in Scotland.

Possibly 

add in the fact we have 1100 season ticket holders now too and the board are bringing in serious cash off the park from their good work we have built the club up something ridiculous the last 4/5 years and the town is getting behind the club. We have come on leaps and bounds. Genuinely remarkable what the board have done and we should be able to stabilise as a bottom half championship / top half league 1 team

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Possibly 

add in the fact we have 1100 season ticket holders now too and the board are bringing in serious cash off the park from their good work we have built the club up something ridiculous the last 4/5 years and the town is getting behind the club. We have come on leaps and bounds. Genuinely remarkable what the board have done and we should be able to stabilise as a bottom half championship / top half league 1 team

I'm not trying to detract from what has been achieved at Arbroath in any way. What you're telling me is absolutely great, and of course Arbroath were as entitled to that money as much as any other Championship side. I do think the interest in the club may wane, it's a novelty at the moment and if bad rimes appear the fair-weather fans will vanish. Ces't la vie. 

However, I'm delighted for you, and I hope you get promoted. :) 

3 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

I'm not trying to detract from what has been achieved at Arbroath in any way. What you're telling me is absolutely great, and of course Arbroath were as entitled to that money as much as any other Championship side. I do think the interest in the club may wane, it's a novelty at the moment and if bad rimes appear the fair-weather fans will vanish. Ces't la vie. 

However, I'm delighted for you, and I hope you get promoted. :) 

No chance. Gayfields a great place to watch football. We’re obviously at our ceiling but with what’s been put in place we will be good. Even when we were bottom of L2 we had an average of about 750. Support for the club is there

Arbroath are an absolute freak and an exception to the rule over the past thirty years or so. Top end of League One and trying to scrap to remain in the Championship is generally as high as a part-time team will go. What’s happening there would be akin to Leicester City winning the Premiership if they managed to pull off the unthinkable. 

The examples of Alloa and even Dumbarton a few years ago would have been a more realistic thing to aim for. Having said that, I have no issue with full-time football and am cautiously optimistic for the future anyway. When I voted to go pro, that’s all I voted for. I didn’t vote for any particular structure. If we can go a level or two beyond what anyone could have dreamed of, then great. If we hit a ceiling at a lower level, then fair enough. It’s not going to be dull anyway. 

3 hours ago, AlbionSaint said:

Despite being absolutely delighted for Arbroath, I still very much doubt they will get promoted. There's a long way to go and I suspect fitness might play a crucial factor in that.

Just reread this and on the fitness thing I honestly have no idea what you’re on about. We’re an extremely fit side and most weeks the bigger physical team too. More experienced older guys usually up against younger full time guys.

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Just reread this and on the fitness thing I honestly have no idea what you’re on about. We’re an extremely fit side and most weeks the bigger physical team too. More experienced older guys usually up against younger full time guys.

Full-time athletes are usually fitter than guys with a day job. They literally workout every day for several hours, whilst if you're an accountant and sitting at a desk for eight hours a day, it will impact upon fitness levels. See when Rangers were in the lower leagues, they would quite often struggle against sides in the first half, but score a few late on in the game - that's fitness levels. It will also impact upon injuries, as the less fit one is, the more likely to pick up injuries.

6 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

Full-time athletes are usually fitter than guys with a day job. They literally workout every day for several hours, whilst if you're an accountant and sitting at a desk for eight hours a day, it will impact upon fitness levels. See when Rangers were in the lower leagues, they would quite often struggle against sides in the first half, but score a few late on in the game - that's fitness levels. It will also impact upon injuries, as the less fit one is, the more likely to pick up injuries.

No they don’t they usually train for an hour and a half 4 days a week and play a game. We train 2 days a week and play a game and the players will do their own 1 or 2 workouts a week. 

9 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

Have you ever seen a training session?

Bringing the subject back to Queen's, it was common for us last season to take games away from teams in the second half once they started to tire and we were able to bring professional players off the bench. But that was also a difference in quality - going by the first half of the season, Arbroath are clearly as good a team as anyone else in the Championship.

1 hour ago, Skeletar Spider said:

Bringing the subject back to Queen's, it was common for us last season to take games away from teams in the second half once they started to tire and we were able to bring professional players off the bench. But that was also a difference in quality - going by the first half of the season, Arbroath are clearly as good a team as anyone else in the Championship.

It’s clearly more the quality. If you have most of the ball the other teams will tire more. And L2 fitness levels along with quality levels especially towards the bottom half are really poor. Higher end part time players are all just as fit as their FT counterparts. Fitness levels for us are spot on.

It’s been a weird experience this season and even the end of last season, confident of winning most weeks. We had top 4 form from January onwards. And this year we’ve dominated so many games like a team at the top of a league would. Putting 3 and 4 past teams like Dunfermline, Hamilton and Partick and not even being surprised about it. The lower down FT teams are not great and we will be paying wages similar or better than  them while our players can also take on a whole other salary. 

Have no idea what QP aims are but I don’t see why they can’t come into the championship and stabilise easily enough. The bottom half of the championship really is nothing special. It pains me to see teams in L1 still bang on about getting good results against FT teams etc. With how professional players are (Even people in general look after themselves a lot more) getting now there should be no inferiority complex. Maybe we will see it mix up a wee bit more with Morton’s and QotS falling out championship and part time teams replacing them. We will see

Edited by 1320Lichtie

23 minutes ago, spiders4ever said:

It will be interesting to see what the club does about the match on Sunday. Who will get preference?

Hospitality, business free tickets, members, season ticket holders or pay for the game?

Do they collectively amount to more than 500?

59 minutes ago, spiders4ever said:

Easily 

Well pay at the gate should be the first to go, as season ticket holders have already paid for the match, as will have hospitality. Complimentary tickets to businesses is presumably lucrative, too.