Queen’s Park 21/22

On 01/12/2021 at 21:52, Skeletar Spider said:

If nothing else I'm looking forward to the Dutch themed hospitality package.

22 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

I hope someone has warned him our cafes are not as good...

17 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Should be a good giggle...

It's maybe not such a waccy idea 🥳

Hopefully the AGM will clear up what has been rattling around too long as outstanding (Lesser). Obviously the on-field dip has put a real dampener on the season but there's still quite a bit to be positive about in terms of the development of the Club. A win on Saturday will help; we can't afford to lose any more ground on Cove etc.

It'll be interesting to hear what the new man's remit is. Certainly an exciting appointment.

20 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

Does membership not have to be paid on an annual basis? Why would a member be allocated shares if their membership expires on an annual basis. It is not much different to a season ticket with voting rights is it not? Not forgetting the pie at half time.

A pie? Must have missed that. It was a cup of tea and a biscuit but we don't even get that anymore.

2 hours ago, lavvyheid said:

i'm sure members got a pie at the  home game  after christmas 

There was two members lounges at Hampden; one got pies, sandwiches and biscuits the other got just the last two. The best part for me was not having to stand in the ridiculously slow queue at the concession stand whilst some parents let their kids “develop their minds” by letting them decide on every single item on the board. 

On 08/11/2021 at 18:55, JT1867 said:

Concrete pouring going on today when I went past Lesser, looks like most of the foundations have now been poured, steel for the framework has also appeared in the last few days. A trench is also being dug at the the front of the stand.

The trench is now almost fully filled with steel reinforcement bars and concrete.

What looks like concrete moulds have also been laid at the southern end of the stand for the base of the stand.

Also signs of work on the western side of the ground over the last couple of days with the farmhouse shell now surrounded by scaffolding.

11 hours ago, JT1867 said:

The trench is now almost fully filled with steel reinforcement bars and concrete.

What looks like concrete moulds have also been laid at the southern end of the stand for the base of the stand.

Also signs of work on the western side of the ground over the last couple of days with the farmhouse shell now surrounded by scaffolding.

Sounds like they’re pouring into a form work rather than dropping in precast sections?

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Demolishing the farmhouse is an act of vandalism, and we can only hope that this doesn't happen.

It’s a shame, but we’ve got to build a ground suitable for the club in 2021. The rest of Scottish football didn’t care when the SFA were shafting us over the Hampden deal, so you’ll have to excuse us if we ignore any outside opinions over the contents of our new stadium.

50 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Demolishing the farmhouse is an act of vandalism, and we can only hope that this doesn't happen.

No problem with demolishing it, but no comment about a west stand being built, and in moving the pitch, are we going to see a new grass pitch put down and the youth teams traing at Toryglen?

On 03/12/2021 at 00:34, QP145 said:

Well said I agree with a lot of this. Every statement that seems to come from L Dempster now says we have a history of having a strong youth set up well before anyone in the new regime arrived. So surely what we have been doing is working up to now and the whole fact we can now keep our best young players, why not give the staff, coaches, volunteers who ever they are the chance to develop these youngsters for our own club instead of ours like the past. I get the new guy from AZ is an exciting prospect but people shouldn’t be quick to forget that he’s coming into a successful academy with a lot of good staff by the looks of things!

also good to see 18s match reports altho a bit of notice before games of when they are happening would also be good for fans wanting to see them for themselves 

The new regime have done next to nothing to support the youth academy so far. The Lesser Hampden debacle has meant the youth academy has been without a training ground for over a year now, the club has been incapable or unwilling to find or fund a replacement facility so the youth academy squads train roughly 2 hours a week in total on half a 7 a side pitch at Toryglen (as they cram as many of the squads on one pitch as they can). Substantially less time and in poorer conditions than any other club in the Club Academy Scotland system, in fact behind the set-up for most well run boys clubs. 

The academy was training on public parks earlier in the year to try and make up for the hours of  training the club wouldn't fund or find. The club love to use the U18s and the academy for a bit of a PR and buzzwords in statements but are doing very little to support it. 

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Isn't it 'the oldest football building in the world'? Surely the city council won't want to approve demolishing heritage like that. I'm surprised it isn't already listed.

They also got £40k to do it up in 2015: https://thescottishfootballpartnership.com/queens-park-f-c-receive-sfp-facilities-award/

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Isn't it 'the oldest football building in the world'? Surely the city council won't want to approve demolishing heritage like that. I'm surprised it isn't already listed.

They also got £40k to do it up in 2015: https://thescottishfootballpartnership.com/queens-park-f-c-receive-sfp-facilities-award/

You obviously don’t know the history regards Willie Haughey and Glasgow Council? I believe it got done up as it was protected by Historic Scotland. Times they are a-changing.

it’s not really a football building. It was, funnily enough, the home of the farmer and his family who owned Clincart farm. The farm’s gone, the farmers gone, his family are gone. The farmhouse needs retired too.

18 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

That seems like a very spurious claim tbh. It was a farmhouse until Lesser Hampden was built in the 1920s.

If Brechin City decided to start changing in the cathedral would that become the oldest football building in the world?

On 02/09/2021 at 13:54, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Worth noting that both the east and west stands could be extended, as well as a new stand behind each goal to increase capacity to 5000+ which would be plenty: 

527146242_ScreenShot2021-09-02at13_34_42.thumb.png.cf67bd96b66403b075e545a80ca17d38.png

The last thing you want is a situation where you're giving 75%+ of your own stadium away to the ugly sisters (eg Clyde, Airdrie etc) or rattling around inside an enormous stadium you don't need 95% of the time (eg Killie).

You only have to look at a similarly supported club like Arbroath, their average attendance has jumped from circa 800 in league 1 to around 1,500 in the championship. Really no point in expanding much beyond the current set up unless reaching the Premiership is achieved.

Interesting to read that the Lesser re-development is slightly more ambitious:

https://queensparkfc.co.uk/bigger-and-better-for-lesser-hampden/

Clearly it was needed now the club is full time. What I find amusing is that the above poster seems to have given them ideas - i.e. moving the pitch, extending the stand the full length of the pitch and building behind the goal.

Is this why work stopped, perhaps?

Anyway, good for Queens Park, though a shame about the cottage.