Queen’s Park 21/22

9 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Not excited about Simon Murray staying. The guy’s a charlatan imho. Offered very little over the season and was posted missing for months but somehow has become a hero over four games. 

Nah - you're miles off it here. Big game player, made the difference in the big games. 

I’d just like to record my thanks to Wullie Muir for all he’s done for us. In the promotion year under Gus, Wullie and McGeever between them dragged us through a very tight season and even tighter play-offs. He was superb in our title win under McKinnon too and countless memorable moments over several years. I’ve no idea how many points Wullie stopped us from losing over the years but it’s more than enough to not just let him disappear as a name on a list. 

Best of luck wherever you go Wullie. You deserve better than you got this season.

1 minute ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Nah - you're miles off it here. Big game player, made the difference in the big games. 

Shame he couldn’t make a difference in more games then and maybe we would have been Champions rather than play-off hopefuls. Not good value for money. If he gets a better offer somewhere else he’ll be off like a shot.

Happy with the squad update overall - as long as we get the majority of those guys with contract offers back through the door. This is probably where having Beuker taking the team for a bit is really helping shape the squad now. One of the common themes talking to the players after the Airdrie game was their eyes lighting up every time Coyle's name was mentioned - I think we'll have players queuing up to play for him this summer. Really exited by the playing side of things - great people in there.

5 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Shame he couldn’t make a difference in more games then and maybe we would have been Champions rather than play-off hopefuls. Not good value for money. If he gets a better offer somewhere else he’ll be off like a shot.

I think Murray was a bit unlucky this season to be honest. 

On top of struggling with injuries, there was a period of time where Ellis either favoured McHugh altogether so he sat on the bench, or tried to use him as a winger which didn't work at all.

I'd be more than happy to have him back as an option next season, but I still think we need to bring in another experienced striker too.

Just now, Zanetti said:

I think Murray was a bit unlucky this season to be honest. 

On top of struggling with injuries, there was a period of time where Ellis either favoured McHugh altogether so he sat on the bench, or tried to use him as a winger which didn't work at all.

I'd be more than happy to have him back as an option next season, but I still think we need to bring in another experienced striker too.

agree, I'm happy with Murray... just as long as we are not relying on him starting every week. 

Still stewing on the stadium stuff. Wonder what we've registered so far for the SPFL. That had to be submitted in March (although I think there's some room for manoeuvre until June 1). I also think the default is ground share for a full season - so I'm interested to hear how the 'subject to approval' chat is going to develop. 

Also note from the press release that they seem to be talking about a 2000+ stadium now. Have we learned nothing from the previous indecision and scope creep?  

5 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

Quite surprised that Peter Grant has been released, think he is a solid centre half.

He is. He’s been a brilliant player for us, and was tremendous beside Charlie Fox during the playoff games. But I just think his legs are gone and a season in the Championship would be a step up too far.

Whoever he goes to next is getting a great player and a great guy. 

11 minutes ago, Gall09 said:

He is. He’s been a brilliant player for us, and was tremendous beside Charlie Fox during the playoff games. But I just think his legs are gone and a season in the Championship would be a step up too far.

Whoever he goes to next is getting a great player and a great guy. 

Does he stay local to Airdrie? I know his dad is from here originally, would be a great signing if we managed to get him. 

Murray is a strange one. Ask me two weeks ago and I’m punting him. However, no Murray = no promotion. Delivers the big moments. Scored what was basically a title winning double at Edinburgh City, the goals against Cove and Falkirk felt bigger at the time than they ended up being, the Dunfermline and Airdrie moments were enormous in modern QP history. A hobbling enigma, but a big game player is gold dust as well.

Murray needs to stay for me. An incredibly infectious personality on the pitch and his enthusiasm particularly for the Dunfermline and Airdrie games radiated massively on the crowd. With loads of big games and crowds next season, I genuinely think we might see an even better version of Murray tbh. The big question mark is his knee. You’re really hoping his operation during the season has cleared his knee up entirely now and he can have a proper go of it next season. 

Even when things aren’t going for Murray, his sheer enthusiasm for running about the pitch and being a nuisance always makes him a threat to defenders. That’s something that frustrated me a lot with Bob Mchugh’s game that when things weren’t going for him, he genuinely seemed like a man down at times. I’m glad the management picked Murray over him. Although I still would like to sign 2 experienced strikers to challenge Murray for the starting spot up top next season 

Let’s not forget that despite missing almost half the season, he still ended up being our top scorer..

Edited by qpfc

3 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Murray needs to stay for me. An incredibly infectious personality on the pitch and his enthusiasm

I Agree. And matched with a younger verison of himself in Scott Williamson; that should be quite a high energy front two.   

1 minute ago, CathcartSkins said:

I Agree. And matched with a younger verison of himself in Scott Williamson; that should be quite a high energy front two.   

I think we need to temper our expectations with Williamson. The leap to League One would have been big, but the leap to the Championship is enormous. We need a number 9 who is a proven goalscorer at a decent level.

2 minutes ago, CathcartSkins said:

I’m interested to see how Williamson fits into the plans next season now we’re in the championship. There’s no doubt if we remained in League 1, he’d of got a decent crack of it but will he get as many opportunities? A 3 year deal suggests there’s a lot of hope in him to deliver and from what I seen of him in the Glasgow cup, he seems a really exciting addition but it’s an incredible jump from cambuslang playing pot bellied defenders to legitimate seasoned full time defenders. I hope he’s eased in slowly tbh.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Rubbish he was injured for half a season basically if not for him no promo

They will all be off like a shot if they get a better offer. That's professional football for you. All the guys we will be signing will come to us because we made the best overall offer.

In League 1. A complete donkey any higher. Be surprised if he reaches double figures next season.

Not good value for money. If he gets a better offer somewhere else he’ll be off like a shot.

Of course he will. The majority of your squad were at your club for that very reason so it can't be a surprise to you if they manage to get an even better deal elsewhere.