Queen’s Park 21/22

39 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

Correct Chester. This all goes back to the original contract agreed with the first buider. The club decided to halt construction with them in December 2022 and the dispute went to arbitration within the building industry. For whatever reason, QP last the case and it cost the club, I was told, about £600k. Our problems all start from there and in fairness to WH he is in my opinion doing his best to resolve matters. I think when the CEO made her statement about the East Stand being finished for the start of the season she did not think that we would get promotion, the way we were playing, nor did she realise that there might be a problem with materials. The club now must bend over backwards, to appease the members, and indeed our gallant supporters for the season ahead.

They did know about the material supply issue. Haughey stopped his Gorbals apartments because of it last year. Hunter told me before Christmas they were having problems. So they knew all about it in March when we were told it was on track to open this season.

There’s not much of a problem anymore but prices have rocketed. If that’s the real problem, this stadium may never be built. 

Aside of all that, if a bona fide construction contract is in place it should be the sub-contractors responsibly to ensure his materials are on site to suit the programme. And if they don’t then penalty clauses kick in. The statement said “contractors” have told them dates can’t be kept. So despite all that went wrong in the first contract we seem to be in a place where we are at the mercy of the contractor. 

So it seems very probable that the rumours earlier in the year, that one of Haughey’s “people” was running the job are true. No formal contracts. No control. 

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

1 minute ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

So it seems very probable that the rumours earlier in the year, that one of Haughey’s “people” was running the job are true. No formal contracts. No control. 

Which would also explain why, as I think you've pointed out before, there are no signs up on-site indicating the name of the firm carrying out the work. Which you find on every other building site.

8 minutes ago, Skeletar Spider said:

Which would also explain why, as I think you've pointed out before, there are no signs up on-site indicating the name of the firm carrying out the work. Which you find on every other building site.

I was sure I had seen signs up

image.png.b862b372b12a72659ee9fd6e0df2f8e5.png  image.png.a8bfd79acbc7ae2345aa8a515e28eb19.png

The squad update that's just been published is interesting. Good to see that Fox and Murray have both been offered new contracts - hopefully they both accept.

Sad that Muir and Doyle in particular haven't been offered new deals , but I think overall it's probably for the best. I would imagine these guys are all leaving because Coyle has replacements lined up. I think we need to be looking for a new first choice keeper, to be honest.

Wouldn't be totally surprised if Quitongo himself has decided he doesn't want to stay full time, given his injury issues. Shame, because when he's fit he really is an excellent player. 

We could do with a bit of experience and a player who can play RB and CB so I wonder if we’ll look at Doyle. Rated him when he was at QOS but didn’t seem to be that great at Falkirk.

Quitongo is another one but injuries seem to have fucked him. There’s also rumours that we’re signing Bob McHugh.

36 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

They did know about the material supply issue. Haughey stopped his Gorbals apartments because of it last year. Hunter told me before Christmas they were having problems. So they knew all about it in March when we were told it was on track to open this season.

Lord Willie Haughey halts work on luxury Glasgow flats development due to supply chain crisis (thescottishsun.co.uk)

There was always going to be some decisions regarding the squad that would split opinion. Doyle was a great captain and his enthusiasm on and off the pitch was great but it was the right time to release him I’d say. I just think he’d of been found out at championship level. 

Overall, I’m not surprised with the released list but I’m probably most sad about Grant and Quitongo. Would say it was right time for them to go but it’s just such a shame how injuries halted their progress. Grant was a rock at the back in the playoffs, you could tell how much he enjoyed playing for us. Quitongo seems the type that might need to do a Craig slater and go part time to get his career kick started again. Would imagine loads of teams would take a punt on him 

Interesting reading the players being offered contracts. Lee Kilday and Louis Longridge probably the most surprising? Kilday certainly capable but he’s another that’s been curtailed with injuries throughout the season. Longridge’s form dipped 2nd half of the season but maybe his experience as a squad player will be beneficial in the championship

Edited by qpfc

Had to be a ruthless list. A couple of mild surprises in both the released and retained columns. Ultimately, playoff elation aside, a full-time team that finished 28 points behind a part-time team, in fourth place in League One, was always going to require major surgery to step up to the Championship.

In particular, Grant, Doyle and Muir have given their absolute all for the jersey. Would imagine a certain Ayrshire fried chicken purveyor might be reading that list with interest and picking up the phone.

5 hours ago, qpfc said:

Quitongo seems the type that might need to do a Craig slater and go part time to get his career kick started again. Would imagine loads of teams would take a punt on him 

Quitongo played half a season part-time with us and managed about 6 games. I’m pretty sure most of those were from the bench as well. I’d be surprised at any part-time team taking a punt on a guy who will most likely command a decent wage and is never fit.

I can remember one game where he looked quite lively but overall he didn’t make much of an impact at all. In his defence I don’t think he’d kicked a ball for the best part of about 6 months before he joined us.

That's a disappointingly ruthless release list. There was always the hope that despite your backing you'd be too loyal to the players who won you promotion and find yourselves in a relegation battle due to carrying too many players who aren't up to the Championship, but that's a sign you're looking for the required serious upgrades all over the park.

21 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

That's a disappointingly ruthless release list. There was always the hope that despite your backing you'd be too loyal to the players who won you promotion and find yourselves in a relegation battle due to carrying too many players who aren't up to the Championship, but that's a sign you're looking for the required serious upgrades all over the park.

I feared what you hoped for. Going into the Championship with a squad that 1-1’d its way into the League One playoffs would have been nothing short of a disaster. I’ve seen folk talking about bringing a couple of the loanees back. Not for me. We need better. Whilst it is harsh on a couple, we had to be ruthless.

34 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

It’s been a long time since the QP fans on here started noticing the imbalance in our squad. We scraped through thanks to a handful of key individuals. Some who have been kept on are a surprise but we’re still adapting to the thought that players aren’t just viewed by the club as contributors to the first team on matchday but due to other considerations might be traded for some cash in the near future. Also a prospect that some of the loanees might get signed.

it’s encouraging, as you say, that the recognition is there that if we want to progress next year, a deeper pool of quality is needed. Time will tell. Not excited about Simon Murray staying. The guy’s a charlatan imho. Offered very little over the season and was posted missing for months but somehow has become a hero over four games. Best of luck to Mikey Doyle. Decent bloke who espouses what QP is supposed to be about. He had a lean spell late in the season but came back strongly at the end. He wasn’t a skipper though and I think if he was just allowed to play his position and not be burdened by the armband he’s still got a decent year or two left. Hope he finds a good club soon.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks