Queen’s Park 21/22

I thought QP could look good next season. Right now I think you’d be similar to an Ayr or Morton based off what I saw in the play off games and your squad but I was kind of under the impression that you would be pumping money into it and could potentially challenge for play off place next year... however listened to Shaughan McGuigan and he seemed to think you’d maybe assemble one of the poorer part time squads for next season? 

Who do you think you will be competing against in the FT market and how do you fancy your chances when going in for players if you are up against clubs like Dunfermline/ Falkirk / Morton / Ayr / Hamilton?

Looking in from outside it’s really hard to tell  

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I thought QP could look good next season. Right now I think you’d be similar to an Ayr or Morton based off what I saw in the play off games and your squad but I was kind of under the impression that you would be pumping money into it and could potentially challenge for play off place next year... however listened to Shaughan McGuigan and he seemed to think you’d maybe assemble one of the poorer part time squads for next season? 

Who do you think you will be competing against in the FT market and how do you fancy your chances when going in for players if you are up against clubs like Dunfermline/ Falkirk / Morton / Ayr / Hamilton?

Looking in from outside it’s really hard to tell  

It’s hard and pretty much impossible to tell at this stage. At this moment in time, the current squad would be relegated from the championship. We finished 28 points behind Cove and ultimately we were largely underwhelming for large periods of the season 

I expect there will be a fair amount of turnover. Not really sure how anyone can really determine whether we’ll be able to assemble a capable enough squad at this stage but I’m really confident we’ll sign some quality players. Could have my QP tinted specs on but I’d imagine we will be a more attractive option for players in comparison to a Morton or Ayr. Doubt Owen Coyle would of came to QP without assurances of money to offer for players 

Loads of reports suggesting we’re signing Dom Thomas. Would be a quality signing and a squad of similar ability will do for me 

I’m just buzzing to be in the championship tbh

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Can’t let the euphoria affect the judgement. Whole season needs to be taken into consideration. We finished 28 points behind Cove Rangers, so the progress and step up we have to make is self-evident.

Some harsh decisions are going to have to be made. The team needs an identity next season, which we didn’t have for much of this season. Of those not contracted, Fox and Robson are my only certs. Character is as important as quality, so I’d be open to keeping Grant and Doyle as squad players.

Does Coyle take the whole season into account, or only consider performances since he arrived?

I think that a number of players have performed better in the last few weeks than they had in the months before, particularly in the 4 playoff games.

Doyle, Grant, Ferrie and Longridge have been much better recently

Did Coyle get something out of them that Ellis and Beuker couldn't, or did they raise there game when it counted most?

I imagine there will be a fair few new faces arriving, but are we realistically going to keep just a handful from the current squad and bring in say 15 new players, or will we give new deals to say 75% of the current squad and add a handful of quality signings, perhaps with some of last seasons regulars dropping down the pecking order to be squad players. And would some of those retained be happy to be on the same money but play less often?

How will Williamson fit in, we signed him on a 3½ year deal, so he must be in the plans going forward.

I dont know the answers to any of the above but it will be a very interesting 6 weeks or so.

Obviously some are already under contract as qpfc has listed, and personally I would hope we can keep Fox, Robson, Lyon, Murray.

I'd also like us to at least try and bring back Smith and Connell.

I wouldn't be disappointed to see any of Doyle, Grant, Longridge, Morrison, Davidson, Quitongo, McHugh back next year if Coyle can get consistent performances out of them.

I'd be keen to retain Muir too, partly because he's the last of the "amateurs" but also as I still think he's a decent keeper.

I'd also hope we hold on to the young guys on the fringes and develop them further such as Heraghty, Gilles and Bigger.

Lastly, who do we try to bring in? There was a rumour on here a few weeks back that Dom Thomas of Dunfermline didn't play against us as he had signed a pre contract with us. No idea if there's any truth to that.

Can we tempt any 'bigger' names? Blair Spittal has turned down a new deal at Ross County, could we convince him to drop down a league and come back to us?

Greg Stewart was also speculated a while ago as he worked with Coyle in India but he has just signed a 2 year deal with Mumbai City.

1 hour ago, qpfc said:

Loads of reports suggesting we’re signing Dom Thomas. Would be a quality signing and a squad of similar ability will do for me 

Signed a pre-contract.

Williamson was a great result, well worked by the club. And when the deal at Lochinch goes through and the proposed investment follows there won’t be any clubs in the Championship with facilities to beat ours. Better players will come. The likes of Craig Sibbald would be the type we should talk with.

18 hours ago, qpfc said:

Fox, Robson, Murray and Lyon I’d be more than happy to give new deals to

Then there’s Doyle, Kilday, Grant, Quitongo, mchugh, Longridge, Morrison, Gillespie and Davidson. Tbh I think we need to let all these guys go. 

Is Murray not on a 3 year deal? Or was it with the option of another year? Either way, I think he'll be a staying. Big game player. Has shown in the first couple of months of the season and in the play offs what an asset he is when match fit. 

Fox is top priority for me, then Robson. I'd also keep Doyle, Lyon, McHugh and Longridge. Aye, when we add to the squad they might end up not being first choice but we need strong back up and experience for the Championship

Grant and Quitongo obviously have fitness issues. I have no doubt about their ability. Grant was a rock in the play offs

As for keepers, if we can get somebody better in then fine but I'd be comfortable going with Muir (if his shoulder heals) and Ferrie

I'm confident that Coyle and Stewart can get the very best out of all these players across the whole season. That's already been proven across four games, albeit the standard will be higher 

Edited by Mick1867

Kerr McInroy would be my top target. Proven he can do it in the Champ with Ayr in the second half of the season. Also completely bullied Thomson, Connell and Gillespie, as well as scoring the winner in the 1-0 game earlier in the season at Airdrie. Better than anything we currently have and well within range.

Edited by an86

22 minutes ago, an86 said:

Kerr McInroy would be my top target. Proven he can do it in the Champ with Ayr in the second half of the season. Also completely bullied Thomson, Connell and Gillespie, as well as scoring the winner in the 1-0 game earlier in the season at Airdrie. Better than anything we currently have and well within range.

Totally agree. Was hoping QP made a move for him in January after leaving Airdrie. Having championship status will put us in a really strong position to sign him if we want him I’d assume 

2 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Totally agree. Was hoping QP made a move for him in January after leaving Airdrie. Having championship status will put us in a really strong position to sign him if we want him I’d assume 

McInroy would be an unbelievable signing, what a left foot that boy has.

Could imagine a good few teams being in for him. Maybe a few SPL clubs might give him an offer.

16 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

... however listened to Shaughan McGuigan and he seemed to think you’d maybe assemble one of the poorer part time squads for next season? 

Take it he meant full time.

He seems like a decent guy and I like his patter on AVFTT but wtf does he know? 

7 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

Take it he meant full time.

He seems like a decent guy and I like his patter on AVFTT but wtf does he know? 

Yeah full time sorry

And I have absolutely no idea but it’s why I asked. It’s hard to gauge from the outside. Even talk in here in regards to McInroy. Like if that’s the case be competing with the like of Ayr and Morton. 

I dunno if QP are proper moneybags or just money enough to sustain full time 

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah full time sorry

And I have absolutely no idea but it’s why I asked. It’s hard to gauge from the outside. Even talk in here in regards to McInroy. Like if that’s the case be competing with the like of Ayr and Morton. 

I dunno if QP are proper moneybags or just money enough to sustain full time 

Signed Dom Thomas before we were promoted, so I expect we’re not going to be shy in spending when we need to.

3 hours ago, an86 said:

Signed Dom Thomas before we were promoted, so I expect we’re not going to be shy in spending when we need to.

Queen's will make some very assured signings and a few stellar ones that some Championship sides will be envious of I think.

On 19/05/2022 at 22:30, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Signed a pre-contract.

Williamson was a great result, well worked by the club. And when the deal at Lochinch goes through and the proposed investment follows there won’t be any clubs in the Championship with facilities to beat ours. Better players will come. The likes of Craig Sibbald would be the type we should talk with.

Already signed a pre-contract elsewhere apparently but could be in doubt now possibly?

1 minute ago, Boris the Spider said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Eze

Fist rumour I've heard but may be a case of 2+2=5

Think your maths might be right in this case Boris, because a bit of digging shows that his two most recently followed accounts on Instagram are the official Queen's Park and SPFL pages.

6 foot 6 centre half with 13 caps for Nigeria. Pair him with Charlie Fox please, and we're never conceding a goal again.

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

Think your maths might be right in this case Boris, because a bit of digging shows that his two most recently followed accounts on Instagram are the official Queen's Park and SPFL pages.

6 foot 6 centre half with 13 caps for Nigeria. Pair him with Charlie Fox please, and we're never conceding a goal again.

Interesting thought. So we could drop the goalie out the team and get that strike duo we’ve been missing? 

15 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

You’ve an excellent track record on “rumours” Boris. All my shillings are on you.

Looking at the sides in the Championship for the new season,  do you guys not fancy your chances of going up to the premier,   crazy though I know,  looking at the sides majority of which are in some form of disarray. Raith, Hamilton, Morton and Thistle all allegedly slashing budgets...

Surely the ceiling for Queens Park to be self sufficient is to get to the top league AsAP

On 19/05/2022 at 22:30, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Signed a pre-contract.

Whats the deal with Lochinch? Is the club buying it and developing it?