Queen’s Park 21/22

After deliberating for much of the afternoon what would be the lesser of two evils, I went along to this and took my seat in among a decent QP support.  Thought it was a fairly entertaining game. Pretty even until the hour or mark but QP just looked like they ran out of steam in the end.

I don’t think I’d part with my hard earned to watch a ‘B’ team in anything other than a regional trophy but it was interesting nonetheless to see them play. Clearly they have some gifted players but I got ‘fur coat no knickers’ vibes off them tbh. It would’ve been interesting to see if QP went full strength had it not been for the play-off final this week, and how the game would’ve panned out. It’s obvious to see who their inclusion in senior football is designed to benefit but hopefully regional cups and the embarrassment that is the Lowland League is as far as they get.

I quite like this competition but realistically it’s going to be difficult for ourselves to compete in it against the B teams and two other full time outfits so I’m not bothered about us getting routinely horsed in it. Is there a reason why the likes of Pollok can’t join it? Agree with the above in that there is probably a decent tournament in there somewhere given its history. Naturally having Rangers or Celtic in a final is going to draw a bigger crowd but was surprised at how many turned out tonight from both clubs given the miserable weather and ridiculous kick off time. Hopefully we can get into all the games next season.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Maybe someone can spot him from this…anyone?

E0AF9DF7-1954-443F-93DB-1466DD827CA4.thumb.jpeg.bba5a22c852fd0160731e488c33e64ca.jpeg

As someone mentioned his name is Dylan Ruiz Diaz, he was the same trialist who played against Clyde a few weeks back as well.

Played at a few youth clubs before settling at Central Coast Mariners academy and eventually moving into the first team squad. He scored 7 goals in 7 appearances for Australia u20s, and was quite highly regarded before somewhat strangely deciding to leave them to sign for a Polish lower league club.

If you put his name into a Twitter search, you'll find videos of him scoring a few crackers.

On 09/05/2022 at 23:25, ScottR96 said:

. Is there a reason why the likes of Pollok can’t join it? 

They are not a member of the Glasgow FA. Which I presume is a throwback to them being affiliated to the Junior FA.   

Edited by CathcartSkins

3 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Uh-oh!
56606FB5-556D-421B-8D1A-172A28EF520F.thumb.jpeg.24c1e41c7fc4e4f2814d8ed6fa93f85d.jpeg

I had a look at that a few weeks ago and I think (although may well be wrong) there is a clause further down that says there is a process where you can apply for partial exemption of some of those criteria.

Either way it’s all getting a bit messy again 

There is indeed, D6. Perhaps that’s why Ms Dempster alluded to her having “fixed the broken relationship”. Except these are SPFL rules and our collective hump was with the SFA. Getting an extension at Firhill is hardly an achievement. There’s a better solution much closer to home if she really is as good as she thinks. And the SFA definitely would have a say in that.

All assuming that Lesser isn’t open for business. Odd that we’ve no info on who’s actually building the new stadium. Maybe there’s a sign up somewhere, like there is on every other building site?

Hampden is the only short-term solution that wouldn’t utterly scunner fans. Not being back in the Southside of Glasgow for another six months would set everything back in terms of community building as well. The thought of traipsing out to Broadwood or Airdrie every second week is absolutely brutal. Firhill is handy enough, but even that’s starting the grate a bit. 

On 09/05/2022 at 17:52, Hampden Diehard said:

Back in the day, Queen's allowed just about anything to be played at Hampden because, well, it was the national home of football. Scottish amateur and junior finals, youth and school internationals. That doesn't happen in these more enlightened times. 

Christ, I remember being a ball boy at all these matches back in the 80s. Nearly 10,000 there for the Pollok v Petershill Junior cup final  in 1985 (the final had been held at Ibrox the previous three seasons) I did however notice that the Scottish Youth Cup final and the Scottish Schools cup final were both played at Hampden a couple of weeks ago so maybe these types of games are back on the agenda. Given the place isn't getting used at all most weeks  

Seems like we’re announcing a new contract for a current squad member at 2pm 

You’ve got to assume with the timing of this, that it’s got be a big player. Absolutely begging for it to be Fox 

34 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Seems like we’re announcing a new contract for a current squad member at 2pm 

You’ve got to assume with the timing of this, that it’s got be a big player. Absolutely begging for it to be Fox 

perhaps a player currently on loan with us?

I'd be happy with Smith or Connell - although I would imagine Luca is out of our price range

3 hours ago, spiders4ever said:

I think Cameron Bruce will probably turn out to be a good player for us.

If there's one thing we seem to be good at, it's banging out excellent left backs. In the amateur days, this lad would have been off a year ago at least, and looking forward to games on big school parks against the uni teams and the Caley Braves. That we can now hold onto Scotland youth players is a big step forward.