Queen’s Park 21/22

30 minutes ago, Anonymous Spider said:

I’ve been fairly critical but I really think these players have been dealt a fairly sh1tey hand this year. Ditching Ray, gambling on Ellis and then having Bueker pitch up isn’t doing anything to help culture and mentality and playing style and the rest of it.

From an outsider-with-a-soft-spot POV, I agree with this take. There seems to have been a lot of upheval at the club. If you compare the QP squad to Falkirk's (who shop exclusively for the cheapest and as a consequence, worst full time players) I think there is a good amount of quality in there. I watched the young QP side play against Clyde in the Glasgow Cup earlier in the season too and going by the performance, there are some talented youngsters coming through.

I agree with the comments here, but what still puzzles me is why we ditched Ellis. I understand the results weren't great, but to hear that the club were faced with Dempster or Beuker taking the role because there was no other option is baffling.

14 hours ago, Velvet Donkey said:

I agree with the comments here, but what still puzzles me is why we ditched Ellis. I understand the results weren't great, but to hear that the club were faced with Dempster or Beuker taking the role because there was no other option is baffling.

Just my own interpretation, based on a couple of loose conversations, but I think they took a soft option in the summer (exact replay of the McPherson/Roberts handover) and bottled it when the transfer window was looming. We know now that Beuker was working his notice and probably had a say in it. Signing players in January would have probably left us with more baggage next season and if Laurie wasn’t in the plans then he wasn’t going to get the cheque book (exact replay of Roberts’ departure). By the time Beuker arrived and settled in the transfer window was shut and a holding pattern developed.

So it looks to me that he was sacrificed and paid to keep quiet and the subsequent chaos ran down the clock until Coyle was available. We’ll see in the next few months if that part of the plan is working better.

This has maybe been covered elsewhere Luca Connell was he injured for last night and or likely to be back for Second leg and final..

Lovely player to watch, he makes you tick,  surprised a little he didn't get many votes for L1 Player of Year...

Signing players in January would have probably left us with more baggage next season and if Laurie wasn’t in the plans then he wasn’t going to get the cheque book (exact replay of Roberts’ departure).

Yes this sounds most probable.

This has maybe been covered elsewhere Luca Connell was he injured for last night and or likely to be back for Second leg and final..

Lovely player to watch, he makes you tick,  surprised a little he didn't get many votes for L1 Player of Year...
He did look like he took a knock in the last game, but could well have been rested tactically. Yes he can be brilliant, and a game-changer, but also inconsistent, and wasteful with the ball. The return tie may well be his time to shine.

50 minutes ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Does Connell do enough off the ball to get into that midfield from last night? 

That midfield last night did their job well. But there job was to stop Dunfermline. We’ll need a bit more adventure and guile to win the tie. The bigger question probably is which Connell would turn up?

Also crossed my mind maybe his loan deal ended after game 36🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm pretty sure Connell was up in the stand with other players not in the squad, I"m certain I could see him milling around the tunnel prior to the game.

He came of injured on Saturday and we played out the game with 10 men as we'd used all our subs.

I'm assuming he was injured rather than rested/dropped/loan ended (other loanees were in the squad) but whether he will be fit for remaing games or not remains to be seen. Potter mentioned in his interview that he was hoping for some players to be back available for Saturday.

However, I agree that he might not be assured of a start on Saturday if he's fit as the three that started (plus Thomson when he came on) worked harder than we're used to seeing from Luka. If it's a similair game plan then he may be left out.

Similarly, I said before the game that I thought Jai should start, but by halftime I was convinced that it was right to leave him out the starting lineup, as I dont think we'd have seen the best of him. He did make an impact when he came on though, as did both Thomson and Murray.

It won't be easy picking the team for Saturday.

Hello, I know Laurie Ellis was the Queens Park manager for a bit, what was he like as manager/coach for you guys? I’m asking because he been linked to the Raith Rovers job and was just wanting your guys opinions on him, also why did he leave you guys? 

17 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Hello, I know Laurie Ellis was the Queens Park manager for a bit, what was he like as manager/coach for you guys? I’m asking because he been linked to the Raith Rovers job and was just wanting your guys opinions on him, also why did he leave you guys? 

It’s a bit tricky to answer that. He took the job when the club’s aspirations were to consolidate in L1. However, the wind of change quickly changed to a hurricane and despite his best efforts their came a time when he didn’t fit the upgraded plan. He’s short on experience as a head coach, although we’ll regarded on the training ground, but I think he was well-liked at Starks which would make him feel more secure than he ever was at Lesser Hampden. 

If what you’re asking is would he maintain Raith’s position in the Championship, possibly. Would he be able to build a squad and take Raith into the Premiership, no chance. And I don’t mean that disrespectfully, he’s just not ready for that yet. If he learned anything in his time with us I hope it’s that you should be your own man in football management, not just a mouthpiece for the club.

Credit to Queen's Park. Been a battle of a season to get 4th but through to the final with a chance for promotion.

Big test next in Airdrie who were outstanding when they saw a glimmer of a hope to get back in the tie. 

Murray a starter for the final? Kilday likely to be back?

Edited by CoveRangers1922

QP’s season in a gif…

AD4FB312-382B-47F7-84B0-7814F82CA352.gif.f64961872ed9c0338c0c126f24550ba5.gif

Congratulations  btw!!!

Edited by King Kebab

2 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Credit to Queen's Park. Been a battle of a season to get 4th but through to the final with a chance for promotion.

Big test next in Airdrie who were outstanding when they saw a glimmer of a hope to get back in the tie. 

Murray a starter for the final? Kikday likely to be back?

I don't think Kilday would get into that team now.

23 minutes ago, QPSpider1867 said:

Charlie Fox is an exceptionally good QP player. I hope to watch him play for years and years to come. 

I would give him a 5 year contract tomorrow. I think he'll re-sign, especially if we go up.

Just now, Stoo61 said:

A fair amount of folk saying Dom Thomas has signed a pre contract with you lot....naturally just rumours at the minute but may explain some things. 

Would absolutely take that. Was shocked he had no involvement over the 2 legs. He fell out with Hughes or just not been performing ?