Queen’s Park 21/22

Must admit I'm really happy with Owen Coyle as our new head coach, I think he's a really good fit for our club at this present time.

Especially when you consider the other alternatives from the managerial merry-go-round that were being touted. The Jack Ross's of this world would always be looking for the next step up.

Having done the English,USA and Indian jaunts in his career, he's possibly looking for a hometown stint to allow his family to settle down at last. As has already been mentioned, a local lad, a decent guy, and perfect to represent our club with both kids and adults. Knows the area well having lived in Myrtyle Park for many years and I saw him often at Hampden on scouting duties, he did take Davie Weatherston to McDiarmid Park after all. Someone mentioned his kids going to local schools, so will understand the new philosophy of reaching out to the next generation of Queen's fans.

Will surely raise our profile, as he'll be sought after as a TV/media pundit given his recent travels. He will be well aware of the history around our club both recent and past and will come with a handy contact list both here and abroad.

Given he's not even been officially confirmed, it'll be interesting, as others have said, to see the length of contract he's given. I imagine he could well be happy to be in it long term, and be a part of what's being created here. and to see some of the new group of youngsters coming through and playing 1st team football, as per the Director of Football's philosophy.

As for this season, I'll be happy if we make the play-offs, which'll let Owen assess the playing staff in time to strengthen for next season.

For me as a lifelong QP supporter, I'm more than happy he comes without any Old Firm baggage, which will surely help in our intention of integrating ourselves in the local community as a family oriented club.

Ironically, Owen, in his first managerial role at St Johnston, replaced our very own Billy Stark as manager and in doing so, did us a great favour in instigating a great era for our club in terms of football played and players career's created. Let's hope his latest managerial role has a similar effect.

The Glasgow Cup...the 2021-2 rules have changed and the semi-finals are based on this below...we have finished 2nd with the last fixture to be played, Clyde v Thistle, which will decide club 4. We've beaten them in both games in the league format. Rangers are 1, Celtic are 3.

'The competition will then move to a knockout basis, with two semi final ties being contested as follows: Club 1 v Club 3 and Club 2 v Club 4'

When was the last time we got to a cup final? 

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

34 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

The Glasgow Cup...the 2021-2 rules have changed and the semi-finals are based on this below...we have finished 2nd with the last fixture to be played, Clyde v Thistle, which will decide club 4. We've beaten them in both games in the league format. Rangers are 1, Celtic are 3.

'The competition will then move to a knockout basis, with two semi final ties being contested as follows: Club 1 v Club 3 and Club 2 v Club 4'

But will we be allowed to watch? So far only the Clyde game has been streamed and all ties have been behind closed doors.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

1985  - Glasgow Cup final.

Back when us, Thistle and Clyde usually fielded our first teams and the Old Firm put out pretty decent sides, usually their reserves with a few first teamers.

We beat Celtic 3-2 at Parkhead in the semis (if I remember correctly we were 3 nil up) to set up a final v Rangers .This was held over to September the following season but we got pumped 5-0 at Hampden.

.https://www.fitbastats.com/rangers/game.php?gameid=81492

Last time we won it was season 1945/46 when we beat Clyde 2 nil in front of 40,000!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Cup

54 minutes ago, spiders4ever said:

But will we be allowed to watch? So far only the Clyde game has been streamed and all ties have been behind closed doors.

Thistle game was live for free on You Tube. But you're right. Let fans in who want to attend, it's not rocket science

2 hours ago, spiders4ever said:

Sadly it might be something to do with the Ugly Sisters. All the wee bams that can’t afford to go to SPL games would turn up. But every effort should be made for either a Clyde or Thistle. Especially as we have home advantage.

9 hours ago, spiders4ever said:

Thistle v QP was open to spectators, closest thing to a steward at the game was David Galt and a couple of other Thistle Charitable Trust guys taking donations as an entrance fee.

Really disappointing that Queen's have embraced this closed door nonsense so enthusiastically.

On 14/03/2022 at 13:19, an86 said:

Agreed. Best gear we’ve had in terms of style and quality. Adidas or Umbro would be the only possible upgrade.

On another note, as much as there may be the odd disagreement on the on-field side, I think we’re doing some great stuff off the field. Reaching out to refugees and asylum seekers, in particular, is exactly the sort of thing I want to see from our club. Giving access to football, something most of us take for granted, and a social setting, to people who don’t have a lot can mean so much and make a huge difference. When we get home, I really hope we can build on making a lot of these folk QP fans. 

On this, I’ve posted about them before as a great example of what can be done, this is a decent wee segment about Bohemians and how they’ve gone about things. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/60784780

1 hour ago, an86 said:

On this, I’ve posted about them before as a great example of what can be done, this is a decent wee segment about Bohemians and how they’ve gone about things. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/60784780

Good video. Obviously some similarities between them and our situation not least the diversity in the local area. Hopefully we're on the path to doing more things like this.

After that performance yesterday, it comes to the stage that it may be better for the development of the less experienced and Academy players to be competitive in League one next season than being on the receiving end of a few doings in the Championship.  

A first season back at Lesser competing for a title rather than a relegation dog-fight is an easier sell when looking to increase fanbase and in keeping with the long-term development of the Club.    

1 hour ago, CathcartSkins said:

After that performance yesterday, it comes to the stage that it may be better for the development of the less experienced and Academy players to be competitive in League one next season than being on the receiving end of a few doings in the Championship.  

A first season back at Lesser competing for a title rather than a relegation dog-fight is an easier sell when looking to increase fanbase and in keeping with the long-term development of the Club.    

After watching the game yesterday and the rest of the half dozen or so meetings this season.....  Were QP not about six points clear at the top in October and looked the team to beat,   has the change of philosophy under Beuke been  the problem, did you need to try and reinvent the wheel, many have tried( Wolecki Black) many have failed (Wolecki Black),   Scottish Football hasn't changed effort, commitment and using the skills you have to maximum effect is the blueprint.....

As a complete outsider you guys  look totally over coached......

What's the hold up with Owen Coyle,  surely now is the time for change. (Looking for a performance and victory against Cove in 3 weeks, 😜)

A few pictures from Lesser today, all the remnants of the base layer for the old plastic pitch are gone and the first layer of the base for the new pitch is being laid. The fencing at the North East corner of the ground has been removed to allow vehicles to use that end of the ground for access. Main other work this week appears to be piling work to support the brick wall beside the stand at the North East corner and lots of foundation works at the South East corner of the stadium. 

21.JPG

24.JPG

20.JPG

Edited by qpsnapper