Queen’s Park 21/22

1 hour ago, Old Diamond said:

Up until the Ross County Debacle, every time there was a managerial vacancy at Airdrie there was a call for a return of the playing legend that was Owen Coyle as Manager, since then I think most Airdrie fans have decided that he wasnt that good as a manager, his statistics would suggest that he has been on a decline with every team he has managed, and also has a habit of bailing out when the going gets tough.  The table on Wikipedia makes interesting reading - Falkirk fans would bite your hand off for a win percentage of 63% but look how it has consistantly fallen with each club, to a miserable 18% at Ross County.  Even in India it has been average.  I wonder if Sandy Stewart will be by his side again??

Managerial record by team and tenure
Team From To Record
P W D L Win %
Falkirk 31 January 2003 20 May 2003 19 12 3 4 63.16
St Johnstone 15 April 2005 22 November 2007 70 36 19 15 51.43
Burnley 22 November 2007 5 January 2010 116 49 29 38 42.24
Bolton Wanderers 8 January 2010 9 October 2012 126 42 24 60 33.33
Wigan Athletic 14 June 2013 2 December 2013 23 7 6 10 30.43
Houston Dynamo 8 December 2014 25 May 2016 49 16 11 22 32.65
Blackburn Rovers 2 June 2016 21 February 2017 37 11 8 18 29.73
Ross County 28 September 2017 1 March 2018 22 4 5 13 18.18
Chennaiyin 3 December 2019 14 March 2020 15 8 3 4 53.33
Jamshedpur 7 August 2020 Present 40 20 10 10 50.00
Total 517 205 118 194 39.65

I won't have a bad word said against the man. Hope he does well for Queen's and you follow Airdrie into the Championship. 

If nothing else he could play and solve your problems upfront. 

I’d be lying if I said that I had kept up with Owen Coyle’s recent managerial career prior to now. When I heard his name linked, my mind immediately sprung back to his disastrous spell at Ross County and thought he was finished at that point. However, when looking into his time in India, he seems to have very much reinvented himself. He took over a team who were near the bottom of the league and took them all the way to the play off final in 2020 and then won the league with his most recent team in Jamshedpur. 

There’s no doubt that he’s a capable manager. You don’t manage in the English premier league if you don’t have a clue what you’re doing. The only question mark would be that football has evolved considerably since then and maybe his methods don’t hold up as well nowadays. His time in India does reassure me in a lot of ways though. I think in League 1 Scotland, Owen Coyle is a very solid appointment. Bundles of enthusiasm which is key when working with guys at this level and hopefully he’s got some really decent contacts that can help boost the playing side of things for next season

I get when people say they aren’t instantly blown away by the appointment. I think the constant Jack Ross links contribute to that. However, I think it’s been clear that Ross was very hesitant over the job and there’s no point having someone that isn’t 100% buying into the club. I’m really curious but also excited to see what Coyle can do. 

Like the cricket, big money is being pumped into football now in India and the introduction of Scottish coaches is about modelling the game on European styles. Not sure how much we can read into the success of Jamshedpur. It smacks a little bit of the recent culture of “let’s give him a go and see what happens”. We’ll see when Coyle’s contract terms are announced how much faith has been invested. Still, he was a successful striker in his playing days and any knowledge in that area is welcome.

Likewise, Stewart fits the “end of career” player of who we are not short of already. He scored 10 in 19 in India but thats way above his scoring rates ever achieved in Scottish football. Maybe Coyle would make it a condition of his own negotiations to have him; relationship, trust etc. But if the club don’t get Murray back in form they’re going to have a job selling him in the summer. 

Stark was derided by Saintees fans. Gus was derided by Queen of the South fans. McKinnon was derided by everyone. Unlikely anyone was going to come here without a bit of bruising on the CV. Wouldn’t have been top of my list, but can see the logic.

7 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

But if the club don’t get Murray back in form they’re going to have a job selling him in the summer. 

Pretty sure I read up that Murray had a 2 year deal with an optional 3rd year. I’m going to be assuming he’s the highest earner at the club. Even if he somehow hit form at any point this season, I certainly wouldn’t be taking up the option. Haven’t got value for money with his signing which is a massive disappointment. 

25 minutes ago, Skeletar Spider said:

Did Coyle not used to stay locally as well? Seem to remember my mum saying she used to see him dropping his kids off at Holy Cross primary.

Used to stay in Myrtle Park years ago. Would always see him kicking about the locality.

27 minutes ago, AndyX said:

Speaking as a County fan.....

When OC was appointed, fans of his previous clubs tried to warn us what was coming. We thought they were probably just bitter or something. They were 100% right though.

Is there ever an appointment made when this doesn't happen? The reality of the lower divisions is that nobody joins any club with a sustained unblemished record of success.

28 minutes ago, AndyX said:

Speaking as a County fan.....

When OC was appointed, fans of his previous clubs tried to warn us what was coming. We thought they were probably just bitter or something. They were 100% right though.

Speaking as a QP fan…..

Even if it doesn’t work out, I’d rather appoint a decent human being than cheerlead for a massive racist.

27 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

Always nice to hear from supporters of their previous clubs on how shite our new managers are going to be.  

Well I for one wish him well.  The three Coyle brothers, Joe, Tommy and Owen served us with distinction over a combined total of 680 appearances - how I wish we had any or all of them right now (weeps quietly).

4 hours ago, qpfc said:

I’d be lying if I said that I had kept up with Owen Coyle’s recent managerial career prior to now. When I heard his name linked, my mind immediately sprung back to his disastrous spell at Ross County and thought he was finished at that point. However, when looking into his time in India, he seems to have very much reinvented himself. He took over a team who were near the bottom of the league and took them all the way to the play off final in 2020 and then won the league with his most recent team in Jamshedpur. 

There’s no doubt that he’s a capable manager. You don’t manage in the English premier league if you don’t have a clue what you’re doing. The only question mark would be that football has evolved considerably since then and maybe his methods don’t hold up as well nowadays. His time in India does reassure me in a lot of ways though. I think in League 1 Scotland, Owen Coyle is a very solid appointment. Bundles of enthusiasm which is key when working with guys at this level and hopefully he’s got some really decent contacts that can help boost the playing side of things for next season

I get when people say they aren’t instantly blown away by the appointment. I think the constant Jack Ross links contribute to that. However, I think it’s been clear that Ross was very hesitant over the job and there’s no point having someone that isn’t 100% buying into the club. I’m really curious but also excited to see what Coyle can do. 

Worth remembering that, even though it was a while ago, Sandy Stewart (who will presumably be coming with Coyle) has won this league before.

I really hope it works out for him. Having listened to a few podcasts where ex players of his have given their thoughts on him, the approach he follows - and they all said the same - seems to be based on players enjoying themselves, lots of head tennis and five a sides (playing for cakes and irn bru) and generally having a laugh. Not a guy who spends a lot of time working on shape, set pieces etc by all accounts but one who installs confidence in his players. If he can get off to a good start, could turn out to be a good appointment.

46 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

I really hope it works out for him. Having listened to a few podcasts where ex players of his have given their thoughts on him, the approach he follows - and they all said the same - seems to be based on players enjoying themselves, lots of head tennis and five a sides (playing for cakes and irn bru) and generally having a laugh. Not a guy who spends a lot of time working on shape, set pieces etc by all accounts but one who installs confidence in his players. If he can get off to a good start, could turn out to be a good appointment.

Who we playing on Saturday 😊?

4 hours ago, qpfc said:

Pretty sure I read up that Murray had a 2 year deal with an optional 3rd year. I’m going to be assuming he’s the highest earner at the club. Even if he somehow hit form at any point this season, I certainly wouldn’t be taking up the option. Haven’t got value for money with his signing which is a massive disappointment. 

Hence why they need him in the shop window. It’s a dynamic QP fans have never had to consider but sometimes coaches have to play someone just because a particular scout is coming to watch.