Queen’s Park 21/22

1 hour ago, qpfc said:

A dreadful decision to play at firhill. Obviously decent for pubs in the surrounding area but most importantly a pitch renowned for being garbage at winter was made to be the best decision? Should of always been Hamilton’s ground 

100% correct

The forecast shows rain all week, so there's a very good chance that Tuesday's game against Dumbarton will end up getting postponed again too. I don't see how the condition of the pitch can possibly improve and become playable between now and then with this weather.

While having two teams play there is clearly a massive factor, I can't quite wrap my head around why it's in such a terrible state. The Thistle chairman seemed confident when the ground sharing deal was agreed that it'd be able to hold up since they've done work on the drainage etc. but instead it somehow looks just as bad as it did when a rugby team was using it.

9 hours ago, Zanetti said:

The Thistle chairman seemed confident when the ground sharing deal was agreed that it'd be able to hold up since they've done work on the drainage etc. but instead it somehow looks just as bad as it did when a rugby team was using it.

Made a strong commitment it would be okay. So safe to assume that our CEO built a penalty clause into the contract so that at least we can be reimbursed financially. Surely? As these postponements stack up and every week has two games it’s only going to get worse.

33 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Made a strong commitment it would be okay. So safe to assume that our CEO built a penalty clause into the contract so that at least we can be reimbursed financially. Surely? As these postponements stack up and every week has two games it’s only going to get worse.

Penalty clause or not, you would imagine, it is in both teams interests not to have 16 games in 12 weeks at Firhill. We should be looking for somewhere else to play & Thistle should be delighted.

37 minutes ago, bobthespider said:

I suppose it’s too late to play the game on Tuesday at Dumbarton if their pitch is playable and for Dumbarton to come to Firhill on the 5th March .

It’s a good idea. We've got Peterhead there on the Tuesday though and Thistle playing on the Friday night. Pitch is bound to be a wreck by the Saturday. Thistle fans must be hacked off with this too.

1 hour ago, bobthespider said:

I suppose it’s too late to play the game on Tuesday at Dumbarton if their pitch is playable and for Dumbarton to come to Firhill on the 5th March .

I'd imagine our pitch is even less likely to be playable than Firhill. We've got Rangers U20s on it this season, and it's been a ploughed field for weeks. The Rangers game on Friday night was also called off because, apparently, there was glass in the goalmouth...

Both clubs should just go halfers on the astro at Petershill Park or something. Treat it like an amateurs game :lol:

Wullie Muir. He hasn’t been selected for the playing squad since the 4th of December. I noticed that day that when his teammates were having a wee coaching session at half-time, Wullie wandered over to the stand and spent the time having a blether with Davie Galt. Have we seen the last of Wullie in a QP strip?

19 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Wullie Muir. He hasn’t been selected for the playing squad since the 4th of December. I noticed that day that when his teammates were having a wee coaching session at half-time, Wullie wandered over to the stand and spent the time having a blether with Davie Galt. Have we seen the last of Wullie in a QP strip?

according to the match preview for the Clyde game he was injured...

"Marijn confirmed that Wullie Muir, Simon Murray, Will Baynham and Darren Lyon remain out through injury."

On 05/02/2022 at 12:42, qpfc said:

I think at least 4 out of our 6 loans will be out of contract in the summer at their respective clubs which includes Longstaff, Smith, Mcbride and Darcy. An opportunity to play and potentially earn another full time contact in the summer should be enticing for these guys. Would certainly be looking to get Smith in permanently in the summer. Lots of potential 

Stay well clear of signing Longstaff. Would be an even worse signing than Jack Thomson. 

Edited by QPSpider1867

24 minutes ago, Skeletar Spider said:

The decision to play our home games at Firhill has been shown to have been a mistake. But if you'd taken a poll of fans beforehand, I'd wager that the vast majority would have had Firhill as their preferred choice.

I will own up to being one of these fans - although I did query the ability of the pitch to cope with two teams playing there. I was given the following assurance.

image.png.6caaeda9e3a70dfa883441291a4cd979.png

47 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I'd heard that he's injured his shoulder and is out for the rest of the season. No idea how accurate that information is, but it would explain why Heraghty was recalled from loan.

If he isn't already contracted for next season then it will be interesting to see whether we retain him.

Personally I'd like to see him stay and compete with Ferrie for the gloves.

42 minutes ago, Skeletar Spider said:

The decision to play our home games at Firhill has been shown to have been a mistake. But if you'd taken a poll of fans beforehand, I'd wager that the vast majority would have had Firhill as their preferred choice.

I'm  not one of them. I drive to the games and getting  across the Kingston Bridge has been a real pain. I preferred Airdrie or Hamilton.

41 minutes ago, Ben Reilly said:

I'd heard that he's injured his shoulder and is out for the rest of the season. No idea how accurate that information is, but it would explain why Heraghty was recalled from loan.

If he isn't already contracted for next season then it will be interesting to see whether we retain him.

Personally I'd like to see him stay and compete with Ferrie for the gloves.

I can’t see Muir staying in all honesty next season. The guy is 28 now and I’d imagine at the stage he’s at in his career, the last thing he’d want to do is be second choice keeper. He’s more than capable of playing for around half of the league 1 sides so he’d have no bother finding a club 

Heraghty seems more than capable of filling in when needed as he proved against Airdrie, whilst you could argue that Ferrie has bee one of Ellis’s finest signings. An absolute gem of a keeper we’ve got it seems 

1 hour ago, qpfc said:

I can’t see Muir staying in all honesty next season. The guy is 28 now and I’d imagine at the stage he’s at in his career, the last thing he’d want to do is be second choice keeper. He’s more than capable of playing for around half of the league 1 sides so he’d have no bother finding a club 

Heraghty seems more than capable of filling in when needed as he proved against Airdrie, whilst you could argue that Ferrie has bee one of Ellis’s finest signings. An absolute gem of a keeper we’ve got it seems 

I agree on both Heraghty and Ferrie. Muir has not shaped up in Div 1 for East Fife, Forfar, or Airdrie in the past. He also has previous for going in the huff when dropped. I am sorry about his injury, sounds unpleasant, but he is unlikely to replace Ferrie who is a superior all round keeper. I think Wullie might have to settle for Div 2 if he wants guaranteed first team football.

3 hours ago, Skeletar Spider said:

It’s part of the trend though. Dempster took full credit for this one, like Gerry Britton was her best mate. As with everything else she’s touched there’s no clarity or explanation for her decision-making. I think it was a marriage of convenience. Something off her desk when all she wanted to talk about was the 10 year Innovation and a bonus pot of reliable money for him. Their convenience has proved to be an inconvenience for everyone else attached to both clubs. 

We received assurances that their drainage was brand new and it wouldn’t be too much of an issue, if any. The crowds have also held up better than they did at Airdrie, albeit we’re in different times. 

Hamilton was the only other option and whilst it’s an easy change at Newton on the train from the Southside, you’re humped if the trains are off. Multiple travel options from various directions to Firhill and town is walkable for those who are able. I have criticised the club on a number of issues, but there was logic behind this one and they played it for the right reasons. 

The problem, as with most of our problems, comes from the initial inability the get our own stadium right.

I really don't think Thistle are getting anywhere near enough grief for this, even their fans are complaining about the decision to allow us to share the ground as if that's the main problem. We've played one game at Firhill in the past two months.

We've paid them presumably quite a lot of money expecting the pitch to be playable and it's not. I really hope we're hammering them financially for this as previously suggested in this thread, because ultimately they promised a service which they can't deliver.

17 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

Muir has not shaped up in Div 1 for East Fife, Forfar, or Airdrie in the past. He also has previous for going in the huff when dropped. I am sorry about his injury, sounds unpleasant, but he is unlikely to replace Ferrie who is a superior all round keeper. I think Wullie might have to settle for Div 2 if he wants guaranteed first team football.

He's more than good enough for League One, we were all singing his name for the first couple of months of the season when he was at his best. It's also a bit disingenuous to claim that Muir "has not shaped up" in League One in the past. He was fantastic for us in League One season 2016/17 when he returned from East Fife. He was only at Methil for a month or so and his reasons for leaving were nothing to do with his performances on the park. Unfortunately the following season he conceded a couple of dodgy goals and fell out with Gus, meaning we had that doughball Michael White in goals for the rest of the season. Pretty sure we would have had a decent chance of avoiding relegation if we'd stuck with Muir.

Ferrie has taken his chance superbly and if he keeps performing like this then he'll be our number one for a long time. His kicking and all round distribution also seems to have improved. I can't see Muir wanting to leave full time football though unless he has a job lined up. No idea when his contract is up. The club might decide Heraghty is good enough back up. He did well at Airdrie but I'd rather have an experienced back up tbh. I suppose there will be a lot of things up in the air once the new manager is appointed.