Queen’s Park 21/22

5 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

In-situ concrete will almost always be cheaper than pre-cast for the reasons listed above. But for something fairly straightforward like a small football stand it really doesn't make much difference tbh. Pouring in spring/ summer/ autumn will obviously be better than at this time of year given the cold weather which usually causes some sort of delay to programme but that can't really be controlled I suppose

Given the existing banking already in place steel columns would also be an unnecessary (and large) expense  

Glad we’re offering light relief for a Falkirk fan. So what are the rafters/purlins supported by? The roof has to sit on something. Programme is already delayed, hence why precast would be much better. That’s also how you control cold weather. Precast is 20% cheaper. I guess we work in different sectors/ regions if it’s not for you. 
But I guess they’re just following the design as drawn, by an architect no longer employed. 

image.thumb.png.07d646593a93136f4a0a3c9006a9fcdf.png

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

45 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I know the Committee gets stick, but let me assure you that the job of the President has been sapping in recent years and almost impossible to do if you have a full time job;

I’m sure it has been HD. But the QP family is a broad church. As you well know there is a mechanism to invite members to help if they so desire. They chose not to.

12 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Glad we’re offering light relief for a Falkirk fan. So what are the rafters/purlins supported by? The roof has to sit on something. Programme is already delayed, hence why precast would be much better. That’s also how you control cold weather. Precast is 20% cheaper. I guess we work in different sectors/ regions if it’s not for you. 
But I guess they’re just following the design as drawn, by an architect no longer employed. 

image.thumb.png.07d646593a93136f4a0a3c9006a9fcdf.png

Pretty much anything is preferable to talking about our current team tbh

Looks like the rafters are cantilevered so supported by the pair of steel columns on gridlines EA and EB. They rest of what I assume is a 50/70mm structural topping screed on a 200/250mm concrete slab with concrete footings. It's not shown on this drawing (would usually only be for warrant/ construction drawings) but I'd assume there is some sort of DPM below the slab with sand blinding and type 1.

I'm not a quantity surveyor or a contractor so wouldn't know the exact costs, but I'd wager insitu would be the cheapest option here. As you say there is the programme advantage to pre-cast so pros and cons to both methods.

I do like the design of the stands and the addition behind the goal by moving the pitch and the facade to Leatherby Drive are improvements on the previous proposals. 

If I did have to be critical about anything (other than on the demolition of the farmhouse that I've already covered) I'd say a wheelchair user isn't going to have much of a view if the person in front of them is standing. You really need to have a 3-4 row clearance like the recent additions at Hampden and St Mirren for unobstructed sightlines, but I suppose it's better than nothing

43263531_ScreenShot2021-12-13at11_48_48.thumb.png.e0ce9bf03fb8b9a76cac3db4184c54e1.png 

On 12/12/2021 at 13:10, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I see the club have proudly put a post up on the East Stand development. I’ll not bother you with the science of concrete, simply this.

Modern stadia design with offsite prefabrication guaranteeing quality control, uniform compressive strengths, no air pockets, no risk of damage from frost, structurally sound including wind and snow loadings. Built on steel structure with integrated columns designed to carry and support the roof system.

image.jpeg.59d78cf6a602df67795cf2cc6a4080ee.jpeg

The Queen’s Park method. Perhaps a nostalgic throwback to 1903.

image.thumb.jpeg.e651ae013c2f2fc86b97fbf6a7030f73.jpeg

In case anyone’s wondering, the modern version is cheaper and quicker to build. 

We're also lacking the buff, shirtless builders. Although from what I can see in that picture from Lesser, that's probably for the best.

31 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Demolishing a building from the 1830's before you've got Planning Permission to do so is pretty risky, listing or not 

My reaction was: "Wow! That was quick!" I'm assuming Queens Park must have had the nod from the council for them to have done this, otherwise it is risky. On the other hand what's the worst penalty that could have been imposed? Sometimes it's better to apologise for something you've done than to ask permission to do it.

3 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Demolishing a building from the 1830's before you've got Planning Permission to do so is pretty risky, listing or not 

I'm not familiar with the planning permission process but do you need that for demolishing a non-listed building? Is the planning application not for the building of the replacement structure rather than the demolition of the existing building?

28 minutes ago, JT1867 said:

I'm not familiar with the planning permission process but do you need that for demolishing a non-listed building? Is the planning application not for the building of the replacement structure rather than the demolition of the existing building?

Wait, what? I thought the building was listed? If it wasn't, then absolutely it can be demolished.

Remember when we were told that the Committee’s (“with a small c for conservatism”) said that we should aspire to the Arbroath model to encourage the switch from amateur to professional? But the clamour for being full-time only came after the vote. Literally when the Deed was done. So what is it that Arbroath have that we don’t? 

image.thumb.png.8a213cca0e317caf0857fd8dabe54a04.png

1 minute ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Remember when we were told that the Committee’s (“with a small c for conservatism”) said that we should aspire to the Arbroath model to encourage the switch from amateur to professional? But the clamour for being full-time only came after the vote. Literally when the Deed was done. So what is it that Arbroath have that we don’t? 

image.thumb.png.8a213cca0e317caf0857fd8dabe54a04.png

Despite being absolutely delighted for Arbroath, I still very much doubt they will get promoted. There's a long way to go and I suspect fitness might play a crucial factor in that.

3 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

Despite being absolutely delighted for Arbroath, I still very much doubt they will get promoted. There's a long way to go and I suspect fitness might play a crucial factor in that.

I’m pretty certain they won’t get promoted. I’m 100% certain they won’t be in the Lowland league.