Queen’s Park 21/22

2 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

I rate Calum Ferrie highly. He gives more confidence when coming for the ball than Wullie. I would like to see him given a run in the starting X1.

I don't think it'll be a popular opinion because Muir is (rightfully) very well liked, but I agree. On top of clearly being more confident when coming out to collect the ball, I also think he's a better shot stopper. I would be keen to see him given a chance to start in the league.

Don’t think we have a problem with our goalkeeper…I think it’s obvious to everyone it’s up front that’s our problem. Against kilmarnock we again played some nice football but it was in our own half once we went forward we had nothing. Its been the same in our league games . If we are in contention in January a striker must be our priority in the transfer market.

3 hours ago, Zanetti said:

I don't think it'll be a popular opinion because Muir is (rightfully) very well liked, but I agree. On top of clearly being more confident when coming out to collect the ball, I also think he's a better shot stopper. I would be keen to see him given a chance to start in the league.

Yes, he is very good, let down by his defence particularly at the second goal, a free header.

20 hours ago, Spider Rico said:

Any chance our “Sports Science” department can figure out how to get our players to defend crosses from set pieces?

And while you're at it - train up someone to take long throw ins given that we seem to find it difficult getting the ball into the box..... 

We’ve had a couple of peeks at Ferrie so comparing him to Muir who has had a good season so far is hard to be realistic about. Fox was closest to both scorers for goals 2 and 3 but otherwise played okay if not at the quality we’ve come to expect. Kilday was lacklustre again. Thankfully both Doyle and Robson were on their game. Overall we matched Killie in all areas and competed well, no battering at any time like our last visit there. The difference between the two teams was taking chances, simple as that. The scoreline slightly flattered Killie but they deserved the win for taking their chances. Other than that there really wasn’t much between these two.

Laurie focussed on the defensive errors but in the league we’re doing fine there, although Morrison would be welcome back in favour of Kilday. Having clean sheets every week in L1 is hopeful. We can win this league with the defence we have. We’re not going to win it with the strike force we have.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

Wullie has done nothing to merit being dropped. He knows there’s a guy at his back capable of taking the gloves if his standards drop, though. That’s a healthy position for him and the team in general.

On 06/10/2021 at 21:46, I Zingari said:

There were men working at the east end of the ground today.

Steel reinforcement bars now laid for almost the entire length of the east side, next stage is presumably concrete pouring. 

On 10/10/2021 at 11:43, an86 said:

Wullie has done nothing to merit being dropped. He knows there’s a guy at his back capable of taking the gloves if his standards drop, though. That’s a healthy position for him and the team in general.

Is Wullie Muir full time? I was hoping Clyde would be in for him when QP went full time but I didn't know if it was a hybrid-type situation. I'd still like to see him at Clyde if he gets ousted when you inevitably get promoted into the Championship. I think Parry is great but he's probably not a long-term solution.

20 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Is Wullie Muir full time? I was hoping Clyde would be in for him when QP went full time but I didn't know if it was a hybrid-type situation. I'd still like to see him at Clyde if he gets ousted when you inevitably get promoted into the Championship. I think Parry is great but he's probably not a long-term solution.

Aye, everyone is full-time. Can’t think of him costing us any goals this season. Only slight issue to work on is coming off his line and cementing attackers, like at Broadwood and a booking he picked up at Alloa. Ferrie looks great backup, but talk of dropping Muir would be unbelievably harsh.

25 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Wullie and David Galt the only two that started last season from the old amateur set-up. All the team on professional, full-time contracts.

Edited by Velvet Donkey

21 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

People seriously suggesting that Willie Muir be dropped 😂

19 shut outs in his last 31 league matches

Stop sniffing the glue, lads

In my defence, not only do I not remember posting my message, but it seems to be timestamped at some point between the Killie and Israel games so glue might be closer to the truth than you realise 😂

Regardless, it was less a criticism of Muir and more praise for Ferrie. I rate him very highly and will maintain that from what we've seen of him so far he's at the very least as good as Muir, but I do agree that making any drastic changes in that position would be daft and unnecessary.

On 20/10/2021 at 10:10, Mick1867 said:

People seriously suggesting that Willie Muir be dropped 😂

19 shut outs in his last 31 league matches

Stop sniffing the glue, lads

I was singing his praises when we last met on the commentary as he was a keeper a few years ago I would've asked about if I was in charge and I think he's a fairly solid keeper now - then on cue he decided to display some really dodgy goalkeeping. 

Not as bad as the "Queen's Park haven't shown they can hurt us all game" and Simon Murray heading it in three seconds later. I've got a knack for the commentators curse.