Queen’s Park 21/22

31 minutes ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

Can't think of many that played much better tonight ---poor overall performance with too many hopeful long balls instead of playing out from the back ---lucky to win to be honest.

IMO Murray, Brown, Moore, Biggar and Ferrie all played particularly well tonight so there's nearly half the team. Glad Murray got his goal you could see he wanted it, some of his runs creating space for himself & others especially in the first half were fantastic. Ferrie was solid, didn't have too much to do overall (opposite end of the park for the OG so can't comment) but had one very good diving save in the first half. Brown is a fantastic player and if we do anything this season it'll be down to him. 

IMO Murray, Brown, Moore, Biggar and Ferrie all played particularly well tonight so there's nearly half the team. Glad Murray got his goal you could see he wanted it, some of his runs creating space for himself & others especially in the first half were fantastic. Ferrie was solid, didn't have too much to do overall (opposite end of the park for the OG so can't comment) but had one very good diving save in the first half. Brown is a fantastic player and if we do anything this season it'll be down to him. 
Don't get me wrong - I think in particular Brown and Murray are (on their day) two of our most talented and influential players but imo thought it unfair to single out Bob McHugh despite penalty miss as we struggled to overcome Annan with too many off target shots and wayward long balls.

9 hours ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

Can't think of many that played much better tonight ---poor overall performance with too many hopeful long balls instead of playing out from the back ---lucky to win to be honest.

I think you are being a bit harsh  - a lot of the long balls came from the keeper who was playing his first game. 

We've only concede 2 goals in 4 games with a makeshift defence.

Midfield looks strong and we are creating plenty of chances. Its taking these chances (or not) that is the main area of concern for me. 

I see we now have a squad of 24 with youngsters Gregor Nicol and Alex Bannon being added to the first team squad.

Need to earn the right to win these games like and we did that. It wasn’t as polished a performance as the two Firhill outings, but it can’t be that way in every game. The fact we dug in and got the win is a positive.

As others have said, we only need to look at our current bench to see how stretched we are. Three points is the most important thing and it’s been a decent League Cup campaign to finish ahead of a Championship side and a direct competitor in League One.

Not much to say about last night. Hopefully Ellis learned something about his players and the formation. Expect to have two sitting midfielders against East Fife when we resume. Game didn't count for much but a win before the start of the season is a boost. We'll need to play so much better than yesterday to compete in the league

Overall, I'd argue it's been a decent League Cup campaign but we've just fallen short. A good run in the Challenge Cup would be fun. 

Edited by QPSpider1867

McHugh’s inclusion (as one of two strikers) completely changed the way that we play; that was the biggest issue for me.

Brown was extremely effective as the highest in a midfield three in previous games and didn’t have the same impact deeper in a two - McHugh isn’t good enough to change the team around.

As for the overall performance - thought we we were poor over the piece. Couldn’t have complained if Annan were a few goals up at half time. Ferrie was excellent.

10 hours ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

It’s great to be back…so much more is picked up when your on the terracing. McHugh is a passenger, offers nothing off the ball. Laurie might just have been experimenting but McHugh doesn’t have the energy to play solo up front  so it’ll always need to be two when he’s on which leaves midfield short. Brown’s been our most creative player but was quiet last night due to being put in a holding role alongside Gillespie. McHugh was supposedly in front of him but was mostly wide right. He didn’t connect with Murray or Doyle, who also had a quieter game and seldom went forward as he did when Moore was in that channel. In short, the whole midfield and right side was out of sync just to accommodate Bob McHugh. I have no idea what it is that our coaches see in him. I’m giving Laurie his place and assuming he’s still playing with options, and this game was the right time for that. But when the league starts Murray and Baynham must be first choices.

That said, still dominant and another barrowload of chances going wide or high. Laurie was a defender when he played. Maybe he needs to find an auld pal who can teach forwards how to make sure the ball goes within the goal frame.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/2381614/ray-mckinnon-shock-queens-park-exit-explained-as-ex-dundee-united-boss-was-on-a-different-road/

As I thought it might be. Couldn’t see McKinnon at this time settling for a development role. Probably ideal for Ellis though given his shortage of time in the no. 1 spot. Dempster also gave a clue on her TV interview at Firhill re timescales and “not doing it like Gretna”. Happy with all of that but sincerely hope it’s not going to restrict the playing group for having a charge at the title or play-offs this season.

it’s quite clear that there is no legitimate reason that Mchugh should be anywhere near that starting eleven for the east fife game. Anyone can miss penalties but his overall performance was nothing short of abysmal. Could not hold the ball up, doesn’t look interested and does not look threatening in the slightest. I want him to turn it around and prove his worth but it genuinely feels like we’re a man down at times. 

I’d imagine the likes of Kilday, Fox, longridge and Baynham will be back for the league opener which should make a considerable difference. Wasn’t the most pleasant game to watch last night but we got the win and sometimes you just need to grind it out. It won’t always be pretty and easy on the eye football. 

Assessing the squad after the cup, it’s clear that depth could really impact us negatively. I say we’re about 2 first team players from having a completed squad, which includes a winger and Striker. Hopefully Ellis has a couple lined up 

Didn‘t make the trip down to Annan but was disappointed to hear reports of fans shouting abuse at McHugh. Always found it strange to do that to your own players. 

Im just thankful that McHugh doesn’t have much of an online presence so doesn’t need to read all the saucy hot takes about him. You are able to critique players without going overboard.

10 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

Didn‘t make the trip down to Annan but was disappointed to hear reports of fans shouting abuse at McHugh. Always found it strange to do that to your own players. 

Im just thankful that McHugh doesn’t have much of an online presence so doesn’t need to read all the saucy hot takes about him. You are able to critique players without going overboard.

This is a byproduct of QP going professional.

1 hour ago, NathanQP said:

Players come and go. Fans turn up every year. Our club. If they’re happy to take the applause then they have to take criticism. It’s not his first poor performance. And there was only one fan vocal about it during the game. Every other player was getting strong support, did your “reports” not mention that? But then you didn’t make the trip to find out the facts.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

2 hours ago, spiders4ever said:

This is a byproduct of QP going professional.

Guff. The centre stand was never off Quinn’s back.

In terms of McHugh, I defended him last season and didn’t think he was that bad, although I expected more. Last night was an absolute atrocity, though. No two ways about it. Personally, I cannot get passionate about the guy in any way. It’s like the music of Elbow. Middle of the road drudgery that you’ll tolerate if it’s on in the background. I don’t hate it, but wouldn’t part with money to listen to it. The problem is that McHugh is doing the equivalent of charging about £200 for one of his gigs. 

Clumsy and poorly constructed analogies aside, if the guy is on big money and not performing, then folk taking time off work for a midweek cup game are more than entitled to voice their opinions.

26 minutes ago, an86 said:

Guff. The centre stand was never off Quinn’s back.

In terms of McHugh, I defended him last season and didn’t think he was that bad, although I expected more. Last night was an absolute atrocity, though. No two ways about it. Personally, I cannot get passionate about the guy in any way. It’s like the music of Elbow. Middle of the road drudgery that you’ll tolerate if it’s on in the background. I don’t hate it, but wouldn’t part with money to listen to it. The problem is that McHugh is doing the equivalent of charging about £200 for one of his gigs. 

Clumsy and poorly constructed analogies aside, if the guy is on big money and not performing, then folk taking time off work for a midweek cup game are more than entitled to voice their opinions.

Absolute nonsense regarding Tony. When I was a Member, I always sat in the centre stand and never heard a bad word about the big man.