Queen’s Park 21/22

Would expect to hear more about the squad in the next week or so. Full-time doesn’t equate to guaranteed success. This is a step up and a league full of useful outfits. Falkirk have been over the course, so they’d have to be favourites. Alloa, Airdrie and Cove Rangers will likely be strong and Montrose have developed into a fine side at League One level.

Although it’ll be tough, top four should be our aim and if we can mount a challenge beyond that, then even better. Looking forward to seeing who Laurie Ellis brings in and what sort of stamp he puts on the side in terms of style.

It’s been mentioned already but full time does not guarantee promotion, never mind play offs as we seen from Falkirk. However, with all that being said, we have to aim for those top 4 places. There’s no denying that a lot of money was spent on the squad last season and as it stands this squad should quite rightly be competing well in this league, however there are positions that need reinforcements:

1-2 strikers- I have absolutely no doubt a fully fit Simon Murray will be fantastic for league 1. We seen after the enforced break, once he fully recovered from his long term injury how effective he was getting in behind defences. 

However, Bob Mchugh I have my doubts. 3 open play goal across the season and very limited contribution outside of the goals also. I’m going to say he might be better this season? Opposition Defences may not be as compact this season as teams might have a go at us but that’s just more out of hope rather than anything. Will Baynham is a different prospect with his general size and physicality but I’m unsure whether he can fire us to the top end of league 1 tbh. 

2 creative midfielders- For me, this is the key area which will really define how successful we’ll be this season. Until Luca Connell joined on loan, there was a major issue with creativity coming from the midfield. Gillespie, Lyon and Carroll are very good at their respective roles but they are never going to drive and get beyond defences. We need players who will drive and carry the ball from the centre of the park. 

I would also argue the need for reinforcements in full back and centre back areas for back up and also a couple wingers to replace Galt and maybe cover for Quitongo depending on how bad his injury was. Anyone know the severity of his injury? 

Buzzing for the season to kick off, here’s hoping it will be an enjoyable one 

Edited by qpfc

5 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

Top four must be our aim. It will be hard but achievable.

Makes a change from coming up here and wondering if it will be one season or two before we go back to the League Two board.

4 hours ago, qpfc said:

2 creative midfielders- For me, this is the key area which will really define how successful we’ll be this season. Until Luca Connell joined on loan, there was a major issue with creativity coming from the midfield. Gillespie, Lyon and Carroll are very good at their respective roles but they are never going to drive and get beyond defences. We need players who will drive and carry the ball from the centre of the park. 

Unless League One has transformed in the past year, a creative midfielder is nice, but far from the best choice. There is a certain bunker mentality that often pervades games here that makes a strong and dominating, rather than creative and nimble, mid the better choice. Hendry in the Championship looks miles better than he did in League One because he isn’t getting the stuffing battered out of him and there is open area to play and pass to. 

2 hours ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Galt, Carroll, MacLean and Slater all leaving.

Carroll is the only surprise. Perhaps it was his decision. I liked him. If the word on Liam Brown is correct that is brilliant news. MacLean was an up and down player. When he was good he could be devastating but the balance of insignificant performances was too great. He could do a decent job in League 2. Good luck to them. Assuming Baynham is staying pleases me. I think he could be quite significant in League 1, probably more as a backup initially but his height and weight will be needed.

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

There is a certain bunker mentality that often pervades games here that makes a strong and dominating, rather than creative and nimble, mid the better choice.

I would have thought Carroll would suit this role. Disappointed to see him go, I thought he was MOTM contender for pretty much every game he played.

33 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Liam Brown to QP announced on City's Facebook.

Don't you just hate it when the big clubs hoover up your talent ;)

Good luck to Liam, cracking player.

It has been announced that we paid a fee for this young man. Was this to him or was he still under contract at City?

5 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

It has been announced that we paid a fee for this young man. Was this to him or was he still under contract at City?

I think he was under contract to City.

(QP treasurer- make the cheque payable to "Tamthebam")

Delighted to hear Grant and Quitongo extending their stay. Anyone can see the benefits that Grant brings to our backline. A real leader, and always looks solid.

Quitongo for all his selfishness, while playing, is still a vital player for us. Can really grab a game by the scruff of the neck and drive on. Hopefully other key players extending their stay is announced soon.