Who will be the Banter Kings of Scottish Football 2021-22

2 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

I wouldn't say Hearts have gone completely quiet. Last season we chucked a Scottish Cup final from leading a penalty shoot-out and also got knocked out the Scottish Cup by a team from a town with a population smaller than the year of our formation.

The fans dislike the coach, dislike the chairwoman, and absolutely despise the players. We got promoted despite being pish because we were in a league that was really pish, and the performances have left the fans with a lot of suppressed rage and at the first opportunity there's going to be a proper hissy-fit from the support.

Add into that that we've got arguably the worst recruitment 'strategy' in the country and no signs of a plan to make us any less shite, and I think it may well all go off for Hearts. I think Hearts' football operation people will be praying for a fan-less start to the season to keep the heat off.

It's not a particularly strong league just now, so a successful season can't be discounted, but neither can a complete disaster. 3rd - 12th all in play, imo.

Only thing that is certain is that we'll beat Hibs at some point. Probably robbing them blind.

Who have Hearts recruited this summer? If anyone?

7 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

St Johnstone. Relegation awaits.

This would be shite, but I'd confidently say with the Browns in charge, St Johnstone will never win Banter Kings. 

Yes, from outside, the record breaking history making double winning team getting relegated would be very banterful, but as mentioned earlier Aberdeen/Celtic/Hearts/Dundee will all be well ahead of us somehow, even if we finish 12th, due to Aberdeen's new 'manager', Celtics new "manager" and the boards clear utter disdain for the customers fans. Hearts and Dundee don't really need any justification to be in the running for this.

My moneys on Hearts. Coming back up full of rage and resentment, with a bang average squad and a sense of entitlement.  

The top three banter candidates have to be the OF and Hearts right? No other clubs do seething, self righteous, indignation with an undercurrent of paranoid conspiracies.

Outside of those, imo, you've got Aberdeen and United, both clubs that think they are bigger than they are and with the combination of an inexperienced manager (if United continue with Courts) while both have been vocal about their financial worries over the last season means that any wheels off the track and banter will definitely kick off.

Dundee follows them, where the banter will come less from 'on the pitch' to 'from the boardroom' as it's clear Nelms has signalled himself as a "rent-a-quote" numpty happy to fill up empty space on a slow news day.

From there it's pretty much a mish mash of unlikely banter clubs; us, the farmers, Livi, Motherwell, etc will all sit under the radar. I'm sure Fitzpatrick/Goodwin, Alexander or  Martindale will say something that'll get the juices flowing amongst those on social media but nothing on the scale of my top 3.

There is an outside chance that County will implode under MacKay. You feel that is such a self inflicted  wound that it'll "either sort itself out early" or MacKay will be seen as redeemed in some eyes. Hibs' expectation also raises the chance of banter. You don't feel they are at the "make or break" level with Ross, but lose some of their key players like Nisbett and not replacing them could leave some angry fans at the end of the season.

So, in short, the OF and Hearts, almost guaranteed banter.

Guest TheJTS98
1 hour ago, deej said:

Who have Hearts recruited this summer? If anyone?

Nobody as far as I'm aware. A load of complete shite released, but we all look forward to them being replaced by injury-prone players in their mid-thirties on three-year contracts.

5 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Nobody as far as I'm aware. A load of complete shite released, but we all look forward to them being replaced by injury-prone players in their mid-thirties on three-year contracts.

Technically I think Ross Stewart is your only signing this Summer so far.

Celtic's to lose, surely. An exceptional performance last season and the ground work is in place to push on.

image.png.4b48630599f2416c8cab8e24065544bc.png

"Good news, guys, we're forcing the new stooge to retain you"

27106ca69fbf8813f8f90535bb593cda.gif

Edited by Duszek

Guest TheJTS98
1 hour ago, deej said:

My moneys on Hearts. Coming back up full of rage and resentment, with a bang average squad and a sense of entitlement.  

I don't know a single Hearts supporter who is confident we'll do well next season. This is just one of these things people like to say, but it's based on nothing.

The Hearts support as a block is tremendously critical of how the club is run and is more or less resigned to near-term mediocrity.

14 hours ago, ropy said:

I was comparing Celtic and Falkirk the other day, trying to decide who was the worse failure.  Of course it is Celtic because of what this season was meant to mean and they didn’t even give it a go, but that was a marathon of a failure, for a sprint, Falkirk gets it every time.

Spot on mate - our collapse last season from top to outside the playoffs was basically impossible yet we some managed it through monumentally fucking up everything we done during that spell.

Guest TheJTS98
13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Technically I think Ross Stewart is your only signing this Summer so far.

He's ten years too young for us.

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Spot on mate - our collapse last season from top to outside the playoffs was basically impossible yet we some managed it through monumentally fucking up everything we done during that spell.

Falkirk seem unlucky as f**k to me. A good side at completely the wrong time, when nobody could really have predicted them being up against one or more of Hearts, Hibs, and Rangers for three consecutive seasons. Surely they'd have gone up otherwise and things might be very different now.

But on such bad luck is Banter Kingery founded.

3 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

He's ten years too young for us.

No, you've literally signed Ross Stewart this Summer, no idea how you missed that. Was announced weeks ago.

Guest TheJTS98
5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

No, you've literally signed Ross Stewart this Summer, no idea how you missed that. Was announced weeks ago.

I remember that. Was met with delirium on Whatsapp groups the world over. * Although, as of this afternoon, had forgotten it.

What I posted to you is what pretty much everyone I know said at the time. Apologies if unclear.

Edited by TheJTS98

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's the reserve goalkeeper Ross Stewart though, isn't it? Not the ex Ross County striker Ross Stewart?

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, GAD said:

It's the reserve goalkeeper Ross Stewart though, isn't it? Not the ex Ross County striker Ross Stewart?

It's the keeper. I look forward to his loan spell at Dunfermline in 18 months.

Nothing personal against the lad, it's just what we do.

Just now, TheJTS98 said:

It's the keeper. I look forward to his loan spell at Dunfermline in 18 months.

Nothing personal against the lad, it's just what we do.

Yeah, thought I'd missed something for a moment there!

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, GAD said:

Yeah, thought I'd missed something for a moment there!

No.

Been around a while, but he's not had the opportunity to annoy the support yet. It'll come.

So, technically a new signing. But not really, getting back to the original question.

8 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah.

41 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

I think it’s fair to say hearts (and Aberdeen) fans feel a sense of entitlement in general. You might not think hearts will be up to much next season but you can bet the support will be seething about it. 

Guest TheJTS98
6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think it’s fair to say hearts (and Aberdeen) fans feel a sense of entitlement in general. You might not think hearts will be up to much next season but you can bet the support will be seething about it. 

Depends what you mean by entitlement.

When people say that they generally just mean a club's support has a minimum level of expectation. I don't think it's unreasonable for supporters of Hearts, Hibs, or Aberdeen to expect their sides to generally be in the top half of the Premiership, given the resources the clubs have. If that's entitlement, so be it.

But let's say Motherwell were relegated to League One. Their fans would perceive that to be below their minimum expectations and would be annoyed. Would that make them entitled? Do you only become entitled when under-achieving?

Semantics, I suppose, but just seems a pretty loaded word to describe something that applies to every football club on the planet.

Edited by TheJTS98

I'd say Falkirk are the Sunderland of Scottish football currently.

But I think Celtic will be the banter kings.  Rangers have the league sewn up for the next couple of seasons IMO.  Celtic have taken about 2 years to appoint a new manager, It doesn't bode well for them.