Who will be the Banter Kings of Scottish Football 2021-22

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, the stadium was built over 30 years ago m8.

Saints benefitted from not spewing their load in 00's and trying to be sustainable. It led to a long time in the second tier but long term its paid off. Add in having the foresight to build a ground with great function suites and near a crematorium, which money wise virtually negates the advantages clubs with ~2k more season ticket holders hold as it brings in an absolute fortune.

Hearts get handed six figures every summer, and got a new stand, by a rich benefactor, so this wee mewling about us getting a plot of land 30 years ago as the sole reason we're successful can f**k off.

Yes, thirty years ago. Around about the same time as Heart of Midlothian and many other clubs had to somehow find the money to build all seater stadia. It practically killed some clubs and others went to the wall. Hearts debt problems started when we had to build an all seater stadium, and the money in Scottish Football dried up. St Johnstone were spared that harsh reality, unlike Falkirk, Dunfermline, Airdrie, Partick Thistle and other similar sized clubs. Let’s not pretend it didn’t give St Johnstone a massive advantage. Don’t grudge them it, not at all. I do resent arseholes like Cosgrove trying to get all wide and snooty towards the clubs who weren’t as lucky, but had to try and do the same thing somehow.

19 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

But that’s precisely the point

The fact that anybody would notice St Johnstone getting relegated never mind make them a laughing stock is a testament to how high they flew last season

I posted a while back, on this thread I think, that the real measure of how “big” a club you are is how funny everyone else would find it if you get relegated and by that definition St Johnstone are currently, in this moment, the biggest club on Tayside for once.

It’s an interesting point of view. As I said, I generally don’t have a lot of time for them, for the reason I stated above, but I really can’t bring myself to be churlish enough to try and take away from their achievement last season. I think it’s a once in a lifetime achievement for any non-OF club, and I don’t see another club doing it for decades, if ever.

6 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:
9 minutes ago, bennett said:
Wrong account?

Nope. It's quite clear to all where your arse was handed to you.

Sorry Gannon, obviously I'm not as clever as you are.

Just now, Loonytoons said:
5 minutes ago, bennett said:

Fucking clearly if you think I'm him.

Your cleverness does rival vikingtons tbf.

Congratulations on that "arse handling" too Gannom.

29 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Yes, thirty years ago. Around about the same time as Heart of Midlothian and many other clubs had to somehow find the money to build all seater stadia. It practically killed some clubs and others went to the wall. Hearts debt problems started when we had to build an all seater stadium, and the money in Scottish Football dried up. St Johnstone were spared that harsh reality, unlike Falkirk, Dunfermline, Airdrie, Partick Thistle and other similar sized clubs. Let’s not pretend it didn’t give St Johnstone a massive advantage. Don’t grudge them it, not at all. I do resent arseholes like Cosgrove trying to get all wide and snooty towards the clubs who weren’t as lucky, but had to try and do the same thing somehow.

Clubs chucking millions down the drain I  the 90s/00s feels far more relevant to me. A lot of clubs fucked themselves trying to keep up with each other and it became an unsustainable arms race.

Saints got lucky with the McDiarmid ground but they didn't waste that opportunity. They build a ground that was up to spec and would make them money. Teams like Falkirk done the opposite chasing this dream they're a massive club that needs a massive stadium. 

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Clubs chucking millions down the drain I  the 90s/00s feels far more relevant to me. A lot of clubs fucked themselves trying to keep up with each other and it became an unsustainable arms race.

Saints got lucky with the McDiarmid ground but they didn't waste that opportunity. They build a ground that was up to spec and would make them money. Teams like Falkirk done the opposite chasing this dream they're a massive club that needs a massive stadium. 

I’d need to see the figures, but I certainly don’t remember Falkirk spending millions on superstars. They generally had similar standard players to St Johnstone to the best of my memory. What they did have to spend millions of pounds on though, was a new stadium. I’d be absolutely astonished if their accounts got out of kilter through buying players, and not through having to find the funds for a new stadium. Dundee, you’d have a point. Signed players on big wages, and didn’t spend a bolt on their stadium. 

1 hour ago, bennett said:

This must be what Gannonballs is getting all excited about.

😂

41 minutes ago, bennett said:

Evidently not given that you quoted a post that was made after I said you had your arse handed to you.

12 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Boy the fun never stops in Perth does it

Perth is full of old c***s, profiting from deaths is genius.

9 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

What they did have to spend millions of pounds on though, was a new stadium.

The majority of the initial work including buying the land, and building the main stand, was funded by the council, and then a millionaire businessman helped fund the second stand. They also raised over £9m selling the land of Brockville.

Quite how that's somehow less lucky than us simply getting a plot of land for free and having to fund an entire new stadium ourselves I'm not entirely sure, but I guess you've got this narrative in your head now.

They wasted their chance to build a decent ground with great facilities, mostly funded by external sources, to instead build 2 oversized stands they don't need, with the majority of suites/offices in the main stand being either empty or in the hands of others. That's it. They weren't harder down to than us, they had more advantages than us for building a new ground too. We built a 10k ground we completely owned, Falkirk wasted their time selling out so they could build two stands with 10k.

Edited by RandomGuy.

• 1 month later...
On 04/06/2021 at 08:13, deej said:

This would be shite, but I'd confidently say with the Browns in charge, St Johnstone will never win Banter Kings. 

Yes, from outside, the record breaking history making double winning team getting relegated would be very banterful, but as mentioned earlier Aberdeen/Celtic/Hearts/Dundee will all be well ahead of us somehow, even if we finish 12th, due to Aberdeen's new 'manager', Celtics new "manager" and the boards clear utter disdain for the customers fans. Hearts and Dundee don't really need any justification to be in the running for this.

My moneys on Hearts. Coming back up full of rage and resentment, with a bang average squad and a sense of entitlement.  

Bump

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...