Who will be the Banter Kings of Scottish Football 2021-22

Guest Bob Mahelp

Surely it's only banter if it's something stupidly unexpected and/or ridiculous ? 

I'm not sure Dundee sinking like a stone is either of these things, tbh. 

I would suggest that the double cup winning team from last season being bottom of the league is more banterlicious. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

7 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Surely it's only banter if it's something stupidly unexpected and/or ridiculous ? 

I would suggest that the double cup winning team from last season being bottom of the league is more banterlicious. 

Sadly this is a fair point.  We are well in the running.

38 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I would suggest that the double cup winning team from last season being bottom of the league is more banterlicious

Especially after all their fans boasting..

2 hours ago, bennett said:

Especially after all their fans boasting..

Boasting?  I think there was a lot of joy and happiness at a once in a lifetime achievement, but not sure about boasting.

We ended your rivals’ run of 12 domestic trophies in a row, opening the door for you to win your first. Would expect a little more gratitude to be honest.

Funny thing. I’ve disliked St Johnstone for years. I’ve always found them to be really sanctimonious and have a misplaced sense of being some kind of morally superior club, who have been shrewd with their finances. In actual real terms, they have benefitted massively from the charity of a rich land owner saving them from the crippling debts that most other non-OF clubs have had to endure, in order to build stadia. That absolute weapon Stuart Cosgrove epitomises my feelings about that stuff. The snooty way he gets wide about the hardship and financial struggles of clubs who didn’t have access the same largesse and charity.

All that said, I can’t agree with them being the ‘banter kings’, and them being criticised for “boasting” about winning a cup double. Seriously, in a season, where there were three domestic trophies up for grabs, the club with something like the eighth to tenth biggest budget scooped two of those trophies! Fair fucks to them I say. That’s phenomenal. They should dine out on that for centuries in all honesty. How many supporters do they get on average? 

Nah, relegated or not. They ain’t no banter kings.

Weird how things change. Hope St Johnstone dodge the drop. 

4 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Boasting?  I think there was a lot of joy and happiness at a once in a lifetime achievement, but not sure about boasting.

We ended your rivals’ run of 12 domestic trophies in a row, opening the door for you to win your first. Would expect a little more gratitude to be honest.

It was Ross county who ended that run by beating them 2 - 0 at Parkheid, taking credit for other teams achievements is poor form.

5 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

Says the guy whose team have claimed somebody else’s 54 titles…

They're full of rank hypocrisy, claiming on the one hand that only an operating company can die, not an immortal metaphysical football club, but at the same time they accuse all the other SPL clubs of trying to kill their club back in 2012.

I mean, make your f***ing minds up!

33 minutes ago, Squonk said:

They're full of rank hypocrisy, claiming on the one hand that only an operating company can die, not an immortal metaphysical football club, but at the same time they accuse all the other SPL clubs of trying to kill their club back in 2012.

All those red cards against liquidation, when apparently it's only a minor irritance to a legal entity, and an undefinable club can sail serenely onwards...

Rangers fans are allowed to spend all Summer gloating about winning trophy that have a 50% chance of winning every season, but Saints fans ant celebrate qn achievement they'll likely never see again.

Good stuff.

13 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

who have been shrewd with their finances. In actual real terms, they have benefitted massively from the charity of a rich land owner saving them from the crippling debts that most other non-OF clubs have had to endure, in order to build stadia.

Yeah, the stadium was built over 30 years ago m8.

Saints benefitted from not spewing their load in 00's and trying to be sustainable. It led to a long time in the second tier but long term its paid off. Add in having the foresight to build a ground with great function suites and near a crematorium, which money wise virtually negates the advantages clubs with ~2k more season ticket holders hold as it brings in an absolute fortune.

Hearts get handed six figures every summer, and got a new stand, by a rich benefactor, so this wee mewling about us getting a plot of land 30 years ago as the sole reason we're successful can f**k off.

Edited by RandomGuy.

57 minutes ago, Squonk said:

This must be what Gannonballs is getting all excited about.

😂

Funny thing. I’ve disliked St Johnstone for years. I’ve always found them to be really sanctimonious and have a misplaced sense of being some kind of morally superior club, who have been shrewd with their finances. In actual real terms, they have benefitted massively from the charity of a rich land owner saving them from the crippling debts that most other non-OF clubs have had to endure, in order to build stadia. That absolute weapon Stuart Cosgrove epitomises my feelings about that stuff. The snooty way he gets wide about the hardship and financial struggles of clubs who didn’t have access the same largesse and charity.
All that said, I can’t agree with them being the ‘banter kings’, and them being criticised for “boasting” about winning a cup double. Seriously, in a season, where there were three domestic trophies up for grabs, the club with something like the eighth to tenth biggest budget scooped two of those trophies! Fair fucks to them I say. That’s phenomenal. They should dine out on that for centuries in all honesty. How many supporters do they get on average? 
Nah, relegated or not. They ain’t no banter kings.
Weird how things change. Hope St Johnstone dodge the drop. 

But that’s precisely the point

The fact that anybody would notice St Johnstone getting relegated never mind make them a laughing stock is a testament to how high they flew last season

I posted a while back, on this thread I think, that the real measure of how “big” a club you are is how funny everyone else would find it if you get relegated and by that definition St Johnstone are currently, in this moment, the biggest club on Tayside for once.