The Conference X Files 2021-22

2 minutes ago, Simmy87 said:

First 2 games I have been to in the professional setup and in both games there has been no linesmen or even officials from each team running the line.
I was all for my team (Whitburn) going senior but it's very unprofessional. Surely in senior football you should have linesmen

Sorry but you're going to have to get used it. There wasn't enough assistant referees to go around when Whitburn were in the juniors (how often did they have ARs?), and that situation hasn't changed - so there's almost no chance of tier 8 getting ARs.

Only the SPFL, Highland, Lowland, EOS Premier, and WOS Premier (tiers 1-6) gets assistant referees on a regular basis. A couple of Midlands League or North Superleague games might get them as well.

Sorry but you're going to have to get used it. There wasn't enough assistant referees to go around when Whitburn were in the juniors (how often did they have ARs?), and that situation hasn't changed - so there's almost no chance of tier 8 getting ARs.
Only the SPFL, Highland, Lowland, EOS Premier, and WOS Premier (tiers 1-6) gets assistant referees on a regular basis. A couple of Midlands League or North Superleague games might get them as well.
From what I remember the superleague south had linemen for most if not all games and when this wasn't the case officials from either side would assist.
Now its gone senior the that's the least I would expect to see.
Club officials do the lines at boy club games so it should be getting done at this level.

4 hours ago, Simmy87 said:

From what I remember the superleague south had linemen for most if not all games and when this wasn't the case officials from either side would assist.
Club officials do the lines at boy club games so it should be getting done at this level.

There is a shortage at the moment one of the players dadd at camelon showd me list on Saturday their was 6 premier games in danger of not having linesmen and the lines looked young om Saturday and last night. 

11 hours ago, Simmy87 said:

Fairly sure it's up to the referee as to whether club officials are used, I was at a First Division game on Saturday where the ref made all the calls.

Back in 18-19 and 19-20 when the East Juniors were still going alongside the EOS, seems they got similar priority for the Superleague to the EOS. However Whitburn are now in tier 8, so rightly the EOS Premier Division at tier 6 now gets priority for ARs.

Plus there's probably fewer refs right now due to the early season start, and Covid disrupting things over the last 18 months like the intake of new refs on training courses etc. So all clubs, fans and players should have a think about how they are acting towards officials as it has an affect on how many decide to remain in the game. 

Edited by Ginaro

28 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Fairly sure it's up to the referee as to whether club officials are used, I was at a First Division game on Saturday where the ref made all the calls.

Back in 18-19 and 19-20 when the East Juniors were still going alongside the EOS, seems they got similar priority for the Superleague to the EOS. However Whitburn are now in tier 8, so rightly the EOS Premier Division at tier 6 now gets priority for ARs.

Plus there's probably fewer refs right now due to the early season start, and Covid disrupting things over the last 18 months like the intake of new refs on training courses etc. So all clubs, fans and players should have a think about how they are acting towards officials as it has an affect on how many decide to remain in the game. 

You’re right, it is up to the refs whether club officials are needed. There were a couple of games last season where we put someone on the line and the opposition didn’t which was pointless. So I make a point of asking the ref before the game now.

You just don’t get assistant refs at tier 7 games. To be honest it’s not the line calls which are affected it’s offsides. The refs are having to guess most of the time. If one or both sides are playing offside traps or high lines it’s almost impossible for refs to make an accurate call. 

But until we get human cloning on the go we will just have to accept there is a shortage of match officials and get on with it.

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Have to fear shortages will only have got worse after just 3 months play in last 18 months, too.

According to SFA website (assuming it's correct)... a sum total of 5 games outside SPFL, Highland, Lowland, EOS Premier and WOS Premier got linesmen on Saturday past: 2 up north and 3 on Tayside. Plus who knows - some of those 5 might only been possible as Highland hadn't begun. So even tier 6 in other parts of the country went largely uncovered - totally in SOS.

There must be a lot of disruption just now... people becoming unavailable, not making themself available, unable to share cars, etc... but even in 2019 they were dozens of officials short.

As noted - sometimes a ref tells club linesmen they're not wanted and calls throw-ins himself.

Syngenta stride-out.

Tuesday 20th July 2021
Bo'ness Athletic 7-2 Whitburn
Livingston United 4-1 Bathgate Thistle
Stoneyburn 1-2 Edinburgh College

Wednesday 21st July 2021
Armadale Thistle 2-0 West Calder United
Syngenta 5-0 Pumpherston

929450332_E1XJul17.JPG.f06e7a1a4674121bb6bfdc3d1f92e6f2.JPG

Friday 23rd July 2021
Bo'ness Athletic v Fauldhouse United

Saturday 24th July 2021
Armadale Thistle v Livingston United
Pumpherston v Bathgate Thistle
West Calder United v Syngenta
Whitburn v Edinburgh College

Looks like exciting Friday night action in store at Newtown Park.

Stoneyburn will have to play with themselves.

14 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Do the top 2-3 from this go into the EoS third tier for the following season?

Supposed to be the top 2. Which should mean it's 16-16-18 next season, plus the remaining 9 and whoever else joins in the bottom tier. Presumably if VOL get replaced by a west team in the LL, it would be 16-16-19 or 16-17-18 rather than only 1 Conference X being promoted.

Edited by Ginaro

10 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Supposed to be the top 2. Which should mean it's 16-16-18 next season, plus the remaining 9 and whoever else joins in the bottom tier. Presumably if VOL get replaced by a west team in the LL, it would be 16-16-19 or 16-17-18 rather than only 1 Conference X being promoted.

I think if the EoSFL end up with a surplus of one the Top 3 from Conference X get promoted to keep the Second Division at an even number. That's why the 3rd Place in HJ is marked with a * as a potential promotion place.

54 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Do the top 2-3 from this go into the EoS third tier for the following season?

That's correct... 1st + 2nd guaranteed to qualify for new Second Division... 3rd join them if an odd number develops higher up.

Edited by HibeeJibee

22 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

7 goals scored by the BA's in their last game as well. Two feasts of goals for their wee group of fans.

Ft from Newtown park Bo’ness Athletic 7-4 Fauldhouse another gd result for the BA 

Edited by coach92

Bo'ness Athletic 7-4 Fauldhouse United

Relative newcomers blew away their longer-established opponents on a fragrant evening in Bo'ness. It was an electrifying performance and there were north of 200 in Newtown Park to witness it.

Having been the odd side in midweek and therefore having twice the rest of their hosts I expected the visitors to start brightly - and so it proved. Indeed were it not for some excellent close saves and the rebound efforts twice hitting the base of the post, they would've been 2 goals up. However the game then swung to Athletic with #5 powering in a corner - he'd another cleared off the line - then #9 burying a penalty. Fauldhouse struck back with a direct freekick before it went 3-1 (frankly I've forgotten how), then 4-1 (pouncing on what looked a botched passback). HT 4-1 and visitors reeling, particularly having had a strong penalty shout dismissed - for a shirt tug? - to their management's prolonged chagrin.

After the interval Athletic seemed in a bit of a quandry and play see-sawed for a while. Twice they conceded from counterattacks but in between #11 went racing away down the left, cut inside and bundled it home. Bo'ness skimmed several efforts wide... #9 channelled his inner Czech and lobbed the 'keeper from 50 yards, only he hit the bar... yet their lead still increased after another defensive mix-up down the right channel. Back came 'House and knocked in a near post effort after good build-up down the left. However the hosts 3-goal cushion was restored with fine interplay, turn and shot from outside the box. Somewhere amid this general fitba melee both 'keepers had made several more good stops.

Even without 11 goals I must say watching (and listening) to the respective managers made for good entertainment itself.

Shortly before FT sirens were heard near the ground - they may well have been search parties being mounted to look for the Fauldhouse defence.

Another great advert for Friday night football and at about 50p a goal to boot.

Edited by HibeeJibee